Jump to content

For digital artists/graphic designers…


brillzart
 Share

Recommended Posts

Heyo I hope I'm not reviving a dead thread. Is sad that no one is replying! >u<

I think personally its better to stick with one app because you can master the app and work more quickly and efficiently!

I currently use Clip Studio Paint! It's mainly for drawing manga, but you can also make painterly drawings too! 

Pros there are you can work really fast with the tools given! There is a 3D model where u can use as a reference for, tools for making quick base colors, an eraser that only erases outside the lines and many more. You can also make a brush into a stamp so you do not have to draw the same thing over and over!

Cons is that if you do not draw on the desktop (drawing on iPad for example) you have to pay a subscription (like photoshop!). I draw on both my laptop and iPad and the price for 2 devices is becoming expensive! 

I hope this helps for you 🙂 

  • Like 15
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My 'app' is a pencil and paper!

Pros: SUPER fine control and ZERO lag! Easily rotated, as long as you are aware of your surroundings. Can often be taken ANYWHERE (except high humidity, but then again most hardware has trouble with humidity). NO BATTERY, but does need a light-source.

Cons: Multi-part (paper, pencil, eraser, extra lead, scanner or camera, pens, colored pencils, etc.). No hidden-layers option (you can ink over the pencil, but still have to apply the eraser after lining is done). Limited color options unless SERIOUS $$ is used in the art-stores.

Neutral: Auto-saves (positive: no lost progress if power goes out, negative: no 'undo' option.)

  • Like 10
  • Haha 6
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

Heyo I hope I'm not reviving a dead thread. Is sad that no one is replying! >u<

 

I’ve been waiting for a reply, thank you! 😀

22 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

I think personally its better to stick with one app because you can master the app and work more quickly and efficiently!

I have mastered Procreate (I think lol), that’s what I use for most of my digital artworks, but I just think it’s fun to use other apps for funsies. 

22 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

I currently use Clip Studio Paint! It's mainly for drawing manga, but you can also make painterly drawings too! 

Pros there are you can work really fast with the tools given! There is a 3D model where u can use as a reference for, tools for making quick base colors, an eraser that only erases outside the lines and many more. You can also make a brush into a stamp so you do not have to draw the same thing over and over!

Ooo, I have heard of that app! It’s so cool that there is a 3D model and good tools there. I might take a look eventually. 👀

22 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

Cons is that if you do not draw on the desktop (drawing on iPad for example) you have to pay a subscription (like photoshop!). I draw on both my laptop and iPad and the price for 2 devices is becoming expensive!

Oh damn, that’s unfortunate. I do have a drawing tablet for desktop, so maybe I can try it there then, haha. Weird how there’s only a subscription for mobile devices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

22 hours ago, nomuffinsforyou said:

I hope this helps for you 🙂

It does, thanks a bunch! 😄

  • Like 6
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

Pros: SUPER fine control and ZERO lag! Easily rotated, as long as you are aware of your surroundings. Can often be taken ANYWHERE (except high humidity, but then again most hardware has trouble with humidity). NO BATTERY, but does need a light-source.

I agree with most of this, haha. Since I draw on iPad, I can take my drawings anywhere as well, but I get your point anyway. 

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

Cons: Multi-part (paper, pencil, eraser, extra lead, scanner or camera, pens, colored pencils, etc.). No hidden-layers option (you can ink over the pencil, but still have to apply the eraser after lining is done). Limited color options unless SERIOUS $$ is used in the art-stores.

Yep, that’s the main con for drawing traditionally. I used to do it, but then I found that digital drawing is more stress-free. 🤣

Either way, massive respect for those who do draw traditionally, I know how much work has to be put in for every drawing. 😁

  • Like 6
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, brillzart said:

I have mastered Procreate (I think lol), that’s what I use for most of my digital artworks, but I just think it’s fun to use other apps for funsies. 

Procreate! I also use Procreate 😄 I want to try practice drawing with a watercolor style using Procreate. The main brushes are so good to use! 

2 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

My 'app' is a pencil and paper!

Massive respect as well 😄 I want to draw traditionally but, alcohol markers and good watercolor paints are expensive for me ;w; I used to fill up a sketchbook with doodles during lunch breaks when I was still at school and then ink with a cheap drawing pen, it was so fun >u<

  • Like 7
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Team Procreate here also!

There is not much to say about it, its great. Fast and efficient. Easy to use and easy to learn

But it lacks the photoshops capabilities and its online pressence. (with avalible brushes, courses and such)

  • Like 5
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2022 at 1:15 AM, ozan_erdi said:

But it lacks the photoshops capabilities and its online pressence. (with avalible brushes, courses and such)

Photoshop's capabilities I agree with, though with the online presence portion, I know that you can buy brushes from artists and you can technically create your own, so that's cool. I don't know about courses, but there are definitely many tutorials out there to help people, so that's cool too. Either way, I mostly agree with you. 

  • Like 3
  • Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I wrote to a similar topic just now, haha.

Things change a little when it's for "digital illustration" or "graphic design" related work.

 

When for graphic design related works such as logos, invitations, business cards, etc. I go for Adobe Illustrator. The reason after that is because;

1. It's a vector-based program and most of these fields work better with vector because of rescaling opportunities.
2. That's what I've learnt in college 😄

You can find countless tutorials and guides for Illustrator, which is greatly helpful.

Of course, like any other Adobe program, there's this big con: it's expensive for most people. Lately I've been seeing Affinity Designer being used as a placeholder, though ı have not tried it myself. There are some progress videos on YouTube already. If you can't afford Illustrator, go check it out. There is also Corel's vector based app, Corel Draw, but I have no information on it.

 

As for digital illustrations, again, I use an Adobe product; the famous Photoshop. I have several reasons for this, some being personal. I've been using it since 2005-ish (not quite sure but I remember I was in middle school) so it's what I'm most familiar with. Again, it's expensive, but I manage.

+ It's familiar
+ Tons of resources and tutorials online
+ Sometimes people want the PSD file and it's the main program for it.
+ Lots of variety for output, like illustrations or small animations maybe even videos.
+ Lots of add-ons to help

- Expensive
- Heavy on the computer, especially if you use lots of layers.

 

I've tried variety of other pixel-based illustration programs over the time, and sometimes I jump to them for a change of view. Some of my opinions might be outdated or pretty personal so take them with a grain of salt.

Paint Tool Sai:

+ Lighter on computer
+ The watercolor and smudge tools work better than Photoshop
+ PSD output again, so you can jump between programs on the same project
+ Pen sensitivity (especially for linearts) have a better feel (for me at least)

- Limited
? Not sure how's the price now or if it's continued or not.

 

Krita:

+ Free!
+ Light on computer
+ Pretty much like Photoshop, you won't feel out of place while using this one.
+ Quite a lot of resources to go around on the internet, like tutorials and paint-alongs and such.
+ Can quickly make frame by frame animations.

- Still a little limited, though for a free program I must's say it's pretty good.
- Maybe this is a personal experience but when I tried animating with it, I couldn't get a gif output. So it's limited on the files as well. Maybe they fixed this later on, I don't know.

 

Clip Studio Paint:
I couldn't get used to this one yet, so I'm pretty limited on this one. But I'm hearing great things about it, seeing great things about it, and I think it's one of the best choices after Photoshop once you get used to it.

+ Definitely cheaper than Photoshop
+ Has a pretty active community
+ A lot of resources and tutorials.
+ Variety of outputs

- A little confusing when switched between PS and this one. That's why I got stuck and went back to good old Photoshop.

 

I don't own an iPad, but I used to own a cheap end android tablet, and I used Medibang on it;

+ Free on both computer and tablet
+ Has basics covered

- Limited output

 

So... That's all I know and all I can think of. I hope it's useful information for you 🙂

  • Like 9
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, isangelousart said:

Things change a little when it's for "digital illustration" or "graphic design" related work.

Yes that is true, hence why I included both fields in this topic. 

17 hours ago, isangelousart said:

When for graphic design related works such as logos, invitations, business cards, etc. I go for Adobe Illustrator. The reason after that is because;

1. It's a vector-based program and most of these fields work better with vector because of rescaling opportunities.
2. That's what I've learnt in college 😄

You can find countless tutorials and guides for Illustrator, which is greatly helpful.

Of course, like any other Adobe program, there's this big con: it's expensive for most people. Lately I've been seeing Affinity Designer being used as a placeholder, though ı have not tried it myself. There are some progress videos on YouTube already. If you can't afford Illustrator, go check it out. There is also Corel's vector based app, Corel Draw, but I have no information on it.

I definitely heard good things about Adobe Illustrator, so it’s good to hear positive feedback from someone who uses it.

Adobe is expensive, but also I find it to be worth it, especially if I’d be using it a lot, so maybe I’ll consider getting it in the future. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

17 hours ago, isangelousart said:

As for digital illustrations, again, I use an Adobe product; the famous Photoshop. I have several reasons for this, some being personal. I've been using it since 2005-ish (not quite sure but I remember I was in middle school) so it's what I'm most familiar with. Again, it's expensive, but I manage.

+ It's familiar
+ Tons of resources and tutorials online
+ Sometimes people want the PSD file and it's the main program for it.
+ Lots of variety for output, like illustrations or small animations maybe even videos.
+ Lots of add-ons to help

- Expensive
- Heavy on the computer, especially if you use lots of layers.

Yeah, all those pros and cons make sense to me. Once I’ll have a better PC, then I can start considering Adobe Photoshop. 😂

17 hours ago, isangelousart said:

I've tried variety of other pixel-based illustration programs over the time, and sometimes I jump to them for a change of view. Some of my opinions might be outdated or pretty personal so take them with a grain of salt.

Surprisingly I heard about all that you mentioned, but I only used Medibang. I’ll keep what you said about each art program in mind. 👍

17 hours ago, isangelousart said:

So... That's all I know and all I can think of. I hope it's useful information for you 🙂

Oh yesss, it sure is, thank you very much! 😄
 

  • Like 4
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Adobe illustrator cc 2020 is the best software for a graphic designer. We can very easily learn using this software and make designs very quickly.  Even the client will want an illustrator file that is created by it. Otherwise, you can make many files with it.

On 5/27/2022 at 1:47 AM, brillzart said:

Just a quick question, what app do you use for creating your work?

In addition, what are the pros and cons for that app?

I’m just asking because I want to be able to use all sorts of art apps. 😁

Adobe illustrator cc 2020 is the best software for a graphic designer. We can very easily learn using this software and make designs very quickly.  Even the client will want an illustrator file that is created by it. Otherwise, you can make many files with it.

  • Like 1
  • Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...