After working with a client, can you work with them outside of Fiverr for future projects?

sarahmui

For example, if I work with a client on Fiverr and after building decent rapport, they want extended services that I only offer outside of the platform---can we work beyond the Fiverr platform? Or must everything be contained within Fiverr? If the latter is true, is there a window of time that this type of restriction lasts or is it indefinite? 

• Like 3

Its in the terms and conditions you signed in when you joined the Fiverr platform that you are not to share any contact details. Any and all conversations should be made within the platform. 

2 hours ago, sarahmui said:

they want extended services that I only offer outside of the platform

Then offer a custom gig through the Fiverr platform. You can do custom gigs.

• Like 12

3 hours ago, sarahmui said:

For example, if I work with a client on Fiverr and after building decent rapport, they want extended services that I only offer outside of the platform---can we work beyond the Fiverr platform? Or must everything be contained within Fiverr? If the latter is true, is there a window of time that this type of restriction lasts or is it indefinite? 

you can provide custom service and custom gig through Fiverr, doing business outside the Fiverr clearly break Fiverr TOS, and might cause your restriction o your profile after 3 warnings hence no you can't do business outside the Fiverr.

• Like 9
  • Up 1

"after 3 warnings". Just wanted to mention that it's not a  good idea to rely on that. Fiverr can restrict or suspend accounts as they see fit. Depending on the violation, you might be out after two, or without a warning. The out at warning 3 might be the norm but not a guarantee. If you got one warming, better make as sure as you can to not get another one.

• Like 8

I agree with all the above but one of my clients has had a message from Fiverr saying that there's no reason why he cannot take my personal details. Aagh! This horrified me since I wanted CS to say no, absolutely not. So now, he's pressing me to send my address and contact data when I simply never do.

This began as a discussion about me signing an NDA--which I explained was not useful since we are all bound to Fiverr TOS here anyway.

In all the years of working as a senior editor, not once has anyone else--even leading publishers--expected an NDA but this newbie insists that his (sub-par and meaningless, wrongly worded) NDA is an essential thing. To make any NDA valid, the personal contact details of the contractor are needed. I did ask him how he will check that the seller doesn't put in fictitious details anyway since we do not know one another face to face!

I asked him to clear this permission issue up with CS as I was not going to sign the self-made NDA as it went against Fiverr Terms and also requested more intel on me than a media NDA would request. Then came back the message from CS that I was free to provide it all and this was a general thing, not just a dispensation for this project. 

It's nuts. I know exactly what he will do. Probably turn up on the doorstep! 🙂

• Like 5

1 hour ago, anniejenkinson said:

In all the years of working as a senior editor, not once has anyone else--even leading publishers--expected an NDA but this newbie insists that his (sub-par and meaningless, wrongly worded) NDA is an essential thing.

I only get those requests from potential buyers from one country (and always say no, so they never become actual buyers). It gets even sillier than that, one wanted me to also sign copyright transfer for book titles (as far as I know, book titles can't be copyrighted; a franchise can be trademarked, but that's a different thing), as well as send proof that the titles are not plagiarized.

Sometimes it reminds me of kids trying to show how serious and official and all grown-up they are. 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, anniejenkinson said:

I asked him to clear this permission issue up with CS

I've asked support about so many things to do with contact details that I found completely okay (like, for instance, calling a customer's company's automatic hotline to check if the wording of the automatic text is correct...) and thought they'd say yes, but got a no, over the years, that I feel perfectly well in my rights to let customers know that I can't provide my contact details, but that Fiverr has them, in case there'd be any issue, and that I'm happy to sign their NDA with my username. For some people, that actually seems to be good enough, they just need to check the "NDA obtained" checkbox on their company's procedure list, apparently.
Certainly won't work in any case, but maybe worth a try. Also, you're still in your right if you don't want people to potentially show up at your doorsteps, or workplace, and there's also still ToS and contact details, and ToS and "if needed to be able to complete the job" (you can complete the job they want you to do without signing an NDA, after all), so, of course, you may lose some jobs then, but you can decide if that job or the protection of your private data is more important to you. I do have to give out an email address sometimes, when customers need it to give me access, because I literally can't do the job else, but that's about it, and I make sure to let them know what support also told me, that any communication still needs to happen on Fiverr. But I'm not giving my private address to anyone, and especially not for no good reason at all.

2 hours ago, anniejenkinson said:

It's nuts.

It really is, sometimes, isn't it. 🤗

Edited by miiila
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, theamitsingh said:

doing business outside the Fiverr clearly break Fiverr TOS, and might cause your restriction o your profile after 3 warnings hence no you can't do business outside the Fiverr.

Violations

Users may receive a warning to their account for violations of our Terms of Service and/or our Community Standards or any user misconduct reported to our Trust and Safety team. A warning will be sent to the user's email address and will be displayed for such user on the Site. Warnings do not limit account activity, but can lead to your account losing Seller statuses or becoming permanently disabled based on the severity of the violation.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, sarahmui said:

It's completely against Fiverr TOS. It will affect if you share your info with clients in conversation.   

• Like 1