Why Are Max Tip Amounts Limited to Gig Price?

jenjones09

So I can honestly say that I never expected to have this issue, but I gratefully just did. I had a buyer really love my work and he wanted to give me a $100 tip for a $35 gig. He was upset to find out that the max that Fiverr would allow was $35 because "tip amount cannot exceed the gig price" (which I never heard about until after this occured). 

Why would Fiverr limit the amount that can be tipped?

I searched for this answer here before posting, but all I found was that Fiverr takes services fees off of tips so that sellers can't sneak charges around to avoid service fees.

So being that Fiverr take their fees out of tips, why would they care if someone is feeling particularly generous and wants to tip an exorbitant amount?

Edited by jenjones09
  • Like 5

How much can I tip my seller?

The limitations below are in place to prevent fraud.

• The minimum amount of a tip is $5
  • For orders below $25, the tip can be up to $25
  • For orders above $25, the tip can be up to 100% of the price of the order

Once you click Tip Now, the tip amount will be deducted from your Fiverr balance. If there are no funds in your Fiverr balance, you will be redirected to the payment page.

All transactions including tips are required to pay the service fee. 

The above is from the Help Centre.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

29 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

The official reason is that it's to prevent fraud. I'm not sure though what that fraud could be.

I've been thinking about this and cannot figure out any possible examples of how fraud could play into this either.

• Like 3