WHEN A BUYER GIVES TIPS YOU, WHY FIVERR GETS FEE FROM THAT?

antcor

I recently have received TIP from a buyer, but I realized that Fiverr also takes a fee from that, why is that? I think is a little bit unfair that if a costumer gives value to your work beyond the fee you ask for it, that should be given to you directly, I'm aware that the answer from fiverr about this might be that "we are using their platform" but the true thing is that we are already paying for that, at the time we are visualized by a costumer, have contact, define agreements, doing jobs, delivering, receive payment, all that is through the FIVERR platform, that's why there are penalties for the people that tries to have contact out the platform giving personal contact information, that's OK it is fair, that "give to Cesar what belongs to Cesar" (which is 20% of your job price by the way) but TIPS are different, that is something directly from the buyer to the seller (it is not a job), it is "added value" on behalf of the people, which in the end is translated as "RESPECT". Why should FIVERR take a cut from that too? "management fees"? mmmm I don't know, if FIVERR gives the opportunity to all the sellers be tipped for free that would make this platform much much better than what it is now. Probably I am not going to change anything, (it might represent a big lost in earnings for them) but here is a big suggestion for you fiverr guys, and something to reflect about for you sellers...  What do you think? Have a great day!

-antcor

Edited by antcor
  • Like 12
  • Up 1

I have worked on different freelancing platforms as well and they also take 20% from the earning if you get a bonus/tip every site takes 20%. So we can either say that every single freelancing website is unfair or we cant say that fiverr is unfair. 

Secondly, sometimes after accepting order while we are working, client wants a bit more work and he mentions that "I will give you a tip at the end". Now here you are getting this tip for the work which is actually your price but fiverr doesn't know about this. 

Fiverr is taking a 20% share from what you get on this platform and if you are getting tip with the help of their platform, don't you think it is unfair to not give a share?

• Like 7

My husband and I were just talking about this. I have also noticed a trend with three separate buyers who are not ordering correctly so I have to send extras and there is a service fee connected to that too. I am not sure if this is new or I rarely send extras because buyers generally order correctly. Has anyone noticed buyers who always order correctly then all of a sudden not? It could be total coincidence. My husband ordered something for $5 and was charged a $2.50 service fee plus a fee for the tip. It’s not a lot but 50% seems really steep! 

• Like 5

I think it's probably to avoid people saying 'pay $5 through Fiverr and the rest of the order via a tip' which means Fiverr wouldn't get much of the income. I did think it was a bit sneaky when I saw it, because I have earned the tip. But it's all part of the cost of using the platform so I don't mind too much. 

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, williambryan392 said:

Definitely this. Sadly there are too many unscrupulous sellers that would try to game the system if tips were commission fee free.

Absolutely. I am sure the Fiverr team thought about it, and maybe even tested this, just to see people taking advantage. It is what it is.. We can always charge more so we can add those "tips" in our prices if we want. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

Definitely this. Sadly there are too many unscrupulous sellers that would try to game the system if tips were commission fee free.

We absolutely pay 20% on all tips. Fiverr actually prompts buyers to think about a tip. Sellers are not allowed to ask for a tip. 

• Like 4