First gig! Now I’m scared!

So, I created my gig to help people with their spreadsheets issues. Got a notification today from a buyer with an attached spreadsheet to review. Now I’m nervous about opening it! I’m not sure how I thought it would work. I guess I thought maybe there would be a file share situation within fiverr or something. Is it safe to open attachments?

• Like 6

It's up to you whether you want to continue offering that as a service. If you don't want to open attachments, and you don't think your computer's anti-virus/malware program is good enough to scan a file for correct results, you have two main options, as I see it: 1) make it a gig policy that you'll only accept documents once the Buyer has placed and order, so as to reduce the risk of a bad buyer, or 2) acquire a 'safe' computer that you don't hook up to the internet and use only to test files.

I'll admit, I'm not a computer person, so I have no clue how difficult implementing the second would be. For all I know, maybe putting the document in 'read only' mode in the properties would be enough.

• Like 4
  • Up 3

Yes, as long as you state that clearly in the Gig. (I think, however, that accessing someone else's GoogleDoc does let them see your email, opening yourself up to ending up on a spamlist. Not sure. Might be only if they give you edit/suggestions permission.)

Also, Fiverr states in the TOS:

• Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the Order Page.

---

Glanced at your gig, you might want to improve your description. See "Describe what you offer" section here: https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010452317-Best-Practices-for-New-Fiverr-Sellers-Gigs?segment=seller

• Like 3