How to deal with a sneaky customer canceling after delivery to get it for free?

raventale

Is it possible for a buyer to cancel your order as a seller AFTER you delivered the product? 

I'm afraid of the possibility that some people would take the delivery then try to cancel it to get it for free. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? If so, how did you handle the situation?

I do video editing for YouTube and I thought maybe of adding a watermark on the video when I show the customer how the final product would look but that I'd remove the watermark upon delivery if they're content with it. 

Edited by raventale
  • Like 7

• raventale changed the title to How to deal with a sneaky customer canceling after delivery to get it for free?

Yes, it's possible, though uncommon (unless it's based on a flawed contract). 

The best thing you can do is be proactive. Make sure your gig is very clear about what you WILL do and about what you WILL NOT do, and when you deliver the order, be sure to repeat yourself. For example: "The following delivery includes: X, Y, and Z, in accordance with the purchased gig and specifications provided by the Buyer in the original requirements. This delivery does NOT include: revisions post delivery or commercial use."

Please see also:

Fiverr has been known to reimburse sellers in very rare cases, but only if it's VERY clear the Seller completely fulfilled the order. The only other guard against this is DMCA takedowns, since the Fiverr ToS states:

"All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to the Buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig, and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason."

(The above is under the Ownership section in the ToS.)

This can help prevent a Buyer from using your work, but it usually does nothing for that feeling of having been taken advantage of, nor for not getting paid.

• Like 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1