How do you dress for a work?

Hello Doers!

I was wondering if you are working full time as freelancer, do you always dress up for work, do you have any routine, or do you just lay down in bed with you laptop? 

NO JUDGEMENT ZONE HERE! so feel free to share your procedure today! 

• Like 28
  • Haha 1
  • Up 2

Pijamas all day long 

I do have a separate room that I call “my studio” but in reality I spend most of my time with a laptop in my bed or on the couch or the balcony. I come to my studio only if I need to draw something nowadays 

• Like 22
  • Haha 1
  • Up 4

I always dress up and I always go to the office to work. Never on a laptop, never at home or in a coffee shop.

Whether it's admin work or actual animating, the outfit won't change.

Dress shirt, Suit jacket, and vest. Designer jeans and rare Jordan retros complete the look I'm going for. 🙂 

I realized a few years back that the freedom that comes with freelancing regarding clothes and location, actually hurt performance and consistency in my case.

Think of it as a kid who grew up to be an adult and realized they could eat ice cream for dinner, every single night.

Another realization -again speaking for me personally- was that the way I look is tied to my brand's image.

It definitely completes the puzzle the prospects are putting together when they first get in touch with my branding, whether it's on Fiverr or through other channels.

Also, added bonus, when I started dressing up for work, I felt more confident, and as a by-product I started wanted to look good in my clothes. 

Which resulted in me starting to work out and watching my diet more. It's been 3 years now and I have never been healthier/thinner. 🙂

• Like 24
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3

Well it totally depends, most of the time I am all dressed up and work form office. While sometimes it's just me and the laptop in the bed, it usually happens when I just have to communicate or answering any queries, to work properly, office and dressing up is the solution as @frank_d said. 

• Like 14

31 minutes ago, animie_video said:

Well it totally depends, most of the time I am all dressed up and work form office. While sometimes it's just me and the laptop in the bed, it usually happens when I just have to communicate or answering any queries, to work properly, office and dressing up is the solution as @frank_d said. 

Well there's no 1 solution. Everyone is free to do what helps them be the best version of themselves.

• Like 14
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

Something that I can wear in the street without being charged for indecent exposure, in case someone decides to ruin my perfectly lonely freelancer day by ringing the doorbell and I end up locked out of the house somehow, or there's a fire, flood, or other situation that might require fast action.

I'm generally a fan of "clothes you can wear from the sheets to the streets", something that works for literally any occasion from a catnap to working at home to spontaneously crossing the street to get the spare key from a neighbour to going for a walk in the park, to the bakery, library, museum or even an event of the posh kind. So, usually, I wear something that would have been fine to wear in all of my pre-freelance jobs, save two non-office jobs, where I had to wear an actual uniform.

I'm barefoot most of the time, though, while at home, unless it's freezing. That kind of freedom and luxury, I had in only one of my non-freelancer jobs.

• Like 17

I work at my desk in front of my desktop computer in the combination office spare bedroom. 

I like to wear jeans. If it is winter, I usually wear a soft sweatshirt, and if it is warmer weather, a blouse or t-shirt will do. Like @miiila, I love to go barefoot, except in winter when I wear my warm wool Haflinger clogs. 

• Like 14

Just now, vickiespencer said:

So you have an office that is not in your home? 🤔

Yes that is correct!

I leased a two-story office when my daughter was born. (Back then I had more employees)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

I absolutely do not do full-face makeup and work attire when I work from home. But I do make a point of getting up, showering, and changing into non-pajama clothes to get started with the day. I just can't really get out of hanging-about-checking-the-interwebs mode and into worky-thinky-doing-stuffs-time without that symbolic and physical shift into the workday.

• Like 14

On 3/31/2022 at 1:37 AM, nenadmanojlovic said:

Hello Doers!

I was wondering if you are working full time as freelancer, do you always dress up for work, do you have any routine, or do you just lay down in bed with you laptop? 

NO JUDGEMENT ZONE HERE! so feel free to share your procedure today! 

As per Fiverr you should dress up and work in routine, but I rather say no I'm a web developer who codes & develop which required days of coding I wake early morning have my breakfast and start coding, bathing, and dressing up on my free mood. Mostly I dressed when I had online meeting with my clients, but working as a freelance surely provide you the independence you are looking for,😃😀

• Like 14

I wear my every day clothes. I generally look well-groomed and smart anyway. For recording I do always wear something comfortable that doesn't restrict my breathing or movement too much. Even if I'm not working on a particular day, I always get up, make my bed, shower and dress. That's the least I can do for myself to feel like a civilised creature. 

• Like 13

It... honestly depends on the stage I am in and/or the type of order. For the brainstorming stage/concept work, I'll admit I like loose and casual, but if I'm working on something for a business type of client, or am in the final stretch of the project, then I go for more business casual.

It's very interesting. There are studies out there that prove people behave differently when they put an effort into their appearance.

I still try to meet any client's expectations, but going 'fangirl' with a client over The Legend of Zelda and The Mandalorian as if at a slumber party has a VERY different feel in work-cloths. Likewise, though, I would NEVER show up to an interview in blue jeans and a screen-print t-shirt, not even if it were a job where that's the usual outfit. 

So... for me I guess it's 'dress the part' and 'meet the client where they're at'.

• Like 13