Writing Gigs: How do you ensure the buyer won't steal your work before final delivery?

nof999

Hi there!

I write meditation/hypnosis scripts for one of my gigs. 

I usually do the voice overs too, so before recording I send a rough draft of the script for the buyer to review. Up until now, this method has worked well and everyone involved is satisfied. However, recently upon sending them their script, a buyer wanted to cancel the order and record the script themselves - claiming that the affirmations I used were similar to other sellers' work. Mind you, when I first asked about the subject matter/topic for the script, they simply said "self-positive affirmations". I assured them that I wrote the script from scratch, that there are only so many ways to word common affirmation phrases, and I could easily revise the section for affirmations (I had written a full meditation script). I asked them to show me where they have seen my affirmations and even ran my script through a couple plagiarizer databases just in case. Buyer said they don't have time to do that. So after all that, I agreed to cancelling the order but left a note saying that they cannot use my script unless they purchased it.

Now my question to seasoned sellers is: How do you ensure that your work won't be stolen when a buyer cancels an order? 

Does copyright help? How do you send/share your files before delivery? Does Fiverr ever take the side of the seller in this case?

I would recommend doing this: set up a gig for writing scripts only. And another gig for doing voiceovers. This way the buyer will purchase everything separately. 

Even so, scammers can always appear, so you can't really stop them that much, unless you make the gig very expensive. And even then, they would be more enticed to cancel. 

26 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I would recommend doing this: set up a gig for writing scripts only. And another gig for doing voiceovers. This way the buyer will purchase everything separately. 

Even so, scammers can always appear, so you can't really stop them that much, unless you make the gig very expensive. And even then, they would be more enticed to cancel. 

Thank you for this advice! I'm not sure why I haven't considered making separate gigs as I've noticed other sellers doing so for this niche. 

in my knowlegde, if an order is cancelled, then any buyer can not use your product when they cancelled. and you can check their company, website, social etc if they use, lets know to fiverr support with proof (order details, image, links etc) and describe everything. but you should know everything from first from the fiverr forum or support. Thank you.

1 hour ago, photo_videoedit said:

then any buyer can not use your product when they cancelled

He shouldn't use it, if he has morals. However a lot of people lack morality and they will cancel orders just to use your work for free. I lost many thousands of dollars just from scammers in the 8 years I've worked here.. so.. trust me, there are lots of people that will use deliveries from canceled orders. 

Archived