Fiverr's Algorithm needs improving. It makes very little sense.

I created my Fiverr account over a month ago.  I set up multiple gigs to improve my chances of getting an order. I spent over 100 hours online for the Fiverr algorithm to favor me and show me in buyer's search results.

After over a week and no orders or messages, I went inactive. I hadn't been online for over two weeks. Suddenly - yesterday - despite not being online or updating my gigs, I receive two orders from 2 different people from 2 different gigs within the same hour.

Fortunately for me, I had mobile notifications set up so I saw these orders come in and I completed them. I got 2 five stars reviews as a result.

I don't understand Fiverr's algorithm and it seems to need improving because I don't think I should have gotten the two orders after being inactive for 10+ days. I'm thankful I got those orders, and my buyers were happy, but it makes little sense to me.

Should I expect to get more orders now I have 5 star reviews or was that a complete fluke? Weird.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Then how do you know it needs improvements? 🙃

Did you read my entire post? I explained it clearly and if you were being honest with yourself and I, you'd probably agree I shouldn't have gotten those orders if the algorithm favored online/good sellers properly.

Please quit being pedantic.

Edited by ewangraphics
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, ewangraphics said:

Please quit being pedantic.

When you say things like the one above and also this......

2 hours ago, ewangraphics said:

I spent over 100 hours online for the Fiverr algorithm to favor me and show me in buyer's search results.

... don't expect people to take you seriously. The amount of time spent online means nothing. You can spend 30 hours online every day (sarcasm) and it won't do you any good. Important criteria would be things like buyer satisfaction, public reviews, if you have late orders, cancellations, how many orders you process, these are the things like matter. When you say things like " I spent X hours online and it doesn't work", it just shows that you trust others with no experience that try to make people stay online for no reason. Wasting your time online in front of the computer without doing nothing waiting for the algorithm to favor you is very funny 🙂 And also doesn't help in any way. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

But what if being online isn't really something that determines how good you are at what you do? Having a tab open in chrome won't make you talented at what you do... Tinkering with your gigs too much also doesn't seem to be a good thing (it's OK in small doses, but still.) 

Good sellers know that being online means very little (other than in some fields that sell 'super quick immediate right now buy me pls now deliver immediately' type of gigs. (even then...yeah.) It MIGHT be because of how many people are following crap advice, of course (so maybe in the past, it did matter) but it's just not a factor anymore. 

Perhaps you had your lucky break now. Instead of blaming the site for not having it earlier, hope that you get more orders the same way. 

• Like 12
  • Up 3

17 hours ago, ewangraphics said:

don't understand Fiverr's algorithm and it seems to need improving

It doesn’t need an improvement just because you think you should’ve gotten orders by staying online. Fiverr algorithm works as intended and being online is not something taken into account. It’s all about your and your gig performance. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, ewangraphics said:

Suddenly - yesterday - despite not being online or updating my gigs, I receive two orders from 2 different people from 2 different gigs within the same hour.

A lot of us keep repeating that you don't have to be online to get orders, and that we're getting most of our orders when we're offline.

And yet, the nonsense about the necessity of being online as much as possible to get orders is still repeated over and over again (typically by people who are unable to get a single sale).

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

When you say things like the one above and also this......

... don't expect people to take you seriously. The amount of time spent online means nothing. You can spend 30 hours online every day (sarcasm) and it won't do you any good. Important criteria would be things like buyer satisfaction, public reviews, if you have late orders, cancellations, how many orders you process, these are the things like matter. When you say things like " I spent X hours online and it doesn't work", it just shows that you trust others with no experience that try to make people stay online for no reason. Wasting your time online in front of the computer without doing nothing waiting for the algorithm to favor you is very funny 🙂 And also doesn't help in any way. 

It's amusing observing the tribalism between avid forum users and newcomers. You guys are relentlessly unforgiving and often pompous.

Thanks for helping me decide that I'll be staying here on the forums to help people without feeling the urge to be sarcastic or bandwagon.

Secondly, I don't find it at all surprising that you are passive-aggressive towards me, rather than being helpful and understanding, especially since you're the type of person to be accused quite often in your Fiverr reviews of plagiarism and therefore ripping people off. In fact, I can see you have gotten two different people in a row accusing you of copying and pasting articles. And there are more than just those two reviews but getting two in a row? That speaks for itself, don't you think? 🤷‍♂️

That said, I've learned a few lessons here, I shouldn't have posted this thread. I should know better than to vent aimlessly online without doing my research properly first. I will be better educating myself.

Have a good one ✌

Edited by ewangraphics
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, katakatica said:

Having a tab open in chrome won't make you talented at what you do...

Your petty sarcasm aside; I have irrefutable evidence being online absolutely *does* increase your chances of getting sales and I've attached that here.

sellers.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, ewangraphics said:

I have irrefutable evidence being online absolutely *does* increase your chances of getting sales and I've attached that here.

I’ll tell you the secret: fiverr has a glitch that shows  sellers online all the time for a past couple of months 😉 So no, it doesn’t really matter even with a filter. 

• Like 10
  • Up 3

1 hour ago, ewangraphics said:

Have a good one ✌

I think this is getting too personal and that's not the case.

Just understand that saying you know how the Fiverr algorithm works is not exactly a thing that people will take seriously. That's all. I guess I was a bit too sarcastic. But browsing my reviews to showcase some bad apples is a bit too much. I can assure you everyone on this platform with thousands of reviews will have bad reviews. As you do business, you sometimes encounter people that are hard to work with. Maybe I was not the best fit for them, others just lie to make their similar business better, etc.

At the end of the day, only Fiverr knows how their algorithm works. You can figure some things out via trial and error, but no one knows the true formula. However some people like @mariashtelle1, me and so on have been here for a long time, so we do have quite a lot of experience with these things. But even me and all the others won't say they know the algorithm, because it's not something public.

I'll stop replying to this if you are making it too personal. People here just try to help. I'll just take your personal attack as a way for you to blow off some steam due to the algorithm. It's very competitive and challenging to rank these days, especially after the pandemic, so I get the frustration, we all have it and many felt the pandemic and having more users on the site just means even more competition... But it is what it is 🙂 Online business is meant to be competitive. 

So, let's keep it professional and have a good one as well. 🙂 

Edited by donnovan86
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

I think this is getting too personal and that's not the case.

Just understand that saying you know how the Fiverr algorithm works is not exactly a thing that people will take seriously. That's all. I guess I was a bit too sarcastic. But browsing my reviews to showcase some bad apples is a bit too much. I can assure you everyone on this platform with thousands of reviews will have bad reviews. As you do business, you sometimes encounter people that are hard to work with. Maybe I was not the best fit for them, others just lie to make their similar business better, etc.

At the end of the day, only Fiverr knows how their algorithm works. You can figure some things out via trial and error, but no one knows the true formula. However some people like @mariashtelle1, me and so on have been here for a long time, so we do have quite a lot of experience with these things. But even me and all the others won't say they know the algorithm, because it's not something public.

I'll stop replying to this if you are making it too personal. People here just try to help. I'll just take your personal attack as a way for you to blow off some steam due to the algorithm. It's very competitive and challenging to rank these days, espeically after the pandemic, so I get the frustration, we all have it and many felt the pandemic and having more users on the site... But it is what it is 🙂 Online business is meant to be competitive. 

So, let's keep it professional and have a good one as well. 🙂 

Understood. My rant wasn't necessary. It was posted out of frustration and your light sarcasm frustrated me further. I take responsibility for posting this rant in the first place. Agreed - let's put an end to this and I'm glad we can put this behind us. 

• Like 9

For several months, I have noticed that my profile shows that I am online even when I am not! I have checked this out through family members and friends who also are Fiverr sellers.

I can be fast asleep, and Fiverr shows me online even though I have signed off Fiverr on my phone and computer. The other thing I have noticed is that even though my profile shows me online continually despite me being signed out of Fiverr, my orders come in waves.

I have had many more orders than I typically get for the last two weeks. Then as suddenly as the orders started, they died down, and it will stay that way for a bit before the next wave.

Perhaps when you got the two orders, they were your wave, and the ten days you were not online, in reality, Fiverr showed you as being active.

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 9

56 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

For several months, I have noticed that my profile shows that I am online even when I am not! I have checked this out through family members and friends who also are Fiverr sellers.

I agree that currently everyone's profile seems to show as online. ie. if you go to any profile it shows "online" in green right next to the profile image (at least when I try it in a logged out browser).

But, when looking through the search results pages at the gigs, only some of the gigs have the little green "online" dot over their small profile image below their gig image. In the gig search results page choosing the "online sellers" filter does reduce the amount shown (so with that filter it's not counting everyone as being online - so I assume actually being online - and reloading a page - should show you in those filtered gigs - though it may not be immediate). Though with that filter enabled it still doesn't show every gig in the results with the little green dot over the  person's profile image - when maybe it should.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ewangraphics said:

I have irrefutable evidence being online absolutely *does* increase your chances of getting sales and I've attached that here.

That feature is there to help buyers who are looking for sellers who are currently online because they need something done urgently, or want to start the discussion about what needs to be done right now.

Sometimes a buyer will message several sellers, and whoever responds first will get the job. However, that happens when buyer needs something that many many many sellers can do, like background removal or data entry; when there's nothing unique or creative about the service, and when it's completely irrelevant to the buyer who does the job, as long as they respond fast and do it quickly.

On the other hand, if the work you offer is not something that tens of thousands of others could do, if there's something unique or creative or otherwise appealing about it and the buyer likes your style more than they like the style of others, it won't matter whether you're online or not. Which is what you've found out: you got orders when you were offline because buyers liked your gigs enough that it didn't matter to them that you weren't there to talk about it instantly.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, ewangraphics said:

Your petty sarcasm aside; I have irrefutable evidence being online absolutely *does* increase your chances of getting sales and I've attached that here.

It's not 'petty sarcasm' when I'm just trying to explain a different side of things. Talent is what sells here (for the most part, that is.)

Fiverr doesn't work the way it used to before - and as much as I wish that hanging around online a lot was all one needed to get a better chance at getting work, that's not how it works. I'm honestly trying to just explain things (from a different POV than yours, for sure), not be all high-and-mighty.

The thing is - because so many sellers are online all the time (or even due to the glitch), Fiverr NEEDS other metrics to work. I do keep a tab open on chrome myself when I'm working but  find that 99% of the time I get new messages when I'm doing something else (which, honestly, is a bit annoying, I'll say that) Sure, the online filter does work to some extent, but again, there's just too many new sellers trying out the exact same tricks. It's you against 10000 other people. Fiverr can't just put every seller who's online on the first / second page in their niche just because of that (or because they have decent-looking gigs, etc.) From what little I understand about the algorithm, it's just not enough. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2022 at 9:13 PM, ewangraphics said:

I don't understand Fiverr's algorithm and it seems to need improving because I don't think I should have gotten the two orders after being inactive for 10+ days. I'm thankful I got those orders, and my buyers were happy, but it makes little sense to me.

I don't know the right answer for this part as I am also a new seller who recently achieved level 1, but what I experienced is the Fiverr algorithm work totally on the tag {keyword} you are using. It works more of like a search engine where the engine matches the words from every site the get you the best match post.

you get your 2 orders in 1st month that's great it took me 2-2.5 months to get my first order. keep doing that you may achieve great success.

And I notice many people recommending to be online all the time I don't think that's the case here, I have the Fiverr app on my phone and I am almost online 24/7 so this nothing much to focus just downloading the app and turning your seller mode on along with show online status ON, But as I said that's not the case if you are online or not I experienced many times when my phone laptop was offline I still get an order and get booked, it's like you are sleeping in the night with no order and when you wake up there are pending order with client message.

Edited by theamitsingh
grammer
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a little puzzled about how their algorithm works. Using myself as an example I've been on the platform since 2013 and I'm a level 2 seller with 5 stars and about 200 reviews. I also use the gig promote set to auto. When I search in my category the first 5-10 pages are a total mix of new sellers, top end sellers, and people with a lower score and fewer reviews than my gig. Also I've seen multiple cases of people who changed some info on their gig and get no orders for weeks. There honestly doesn't seem to be any sense to how the algorithm works. I'd love to know in depth about how the score or placement is sorted.

• Like 5