Dealing with (Buyer) Scammers?

accountofandrew

Question

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to Fiverr (activated my seller account a while ago but never used it until this week), and after making my gig yesterday, today, I was excited to get my first message from a potential customer. It said something along the lines of:

"I have a job available which involves some (stuff), and you have been hired, so could you please message our assistant manager on Telegram (insert telegram link). He will tell you everything you need to know about the project."

As someone looking to start freelancing, I was pretty excited to get my first customer, but I realized that Telegram is a rather sketchy place to contact for professional matters. Furthermore, the Fiverr TOS say that sellers cannot divulge personal contact information, so some red flags went off and I responded saying:

"Hi (redacted name). Thank you for notifying me and I thank you for choosing me to work for your organization. Unfortunately, I believe it is against fiverr's terms of service to communicate outside of the website. It could cause both you and I great trouble. Could you possibly convey what your assistant manager needs here?"

Is this the right way to deflect from someone's request to go off-fiverr? I have no doubt this person could have been a scammer looking to extort me by threatening bad reviews or not paying (their account was made yesterday, and their given name didn't match the username, they also left a somewhat nasty response as I will show in an attachment below), but let's say this were actually a well-meaning potential customer that is looking to go away from fiverr for whatever reason. Is what I said an ok response to them asking if we can connect off of fiverr? Is there anything else I should say? Thank you in advance for your input!

(An extra goodie, the "buyer's" response to what I said, attached below):

Inkedfiverr_scammer_buyer_2_LI.jpg

• Like 6

4 answers to this question

I'm considered new to Fiverr but let me offer my opinion for what it's worth. I personally don't even reply to the "telegram" messages... Definitely scammers. No way they aren't. But in the unlikely event of this person being a legit buyer, your reply would be perfectly fine. 

A well-meaning potential customer should take your respectful warning with grace and start following TOS. So don't worry about it!

• Like 8