Will Fiverr suspend Russian sellers?

mikavirtanen

As a Russian seller I really hope that Fiverr will not ban or suspend our accounts due to putin's aggression towards Ukraine.

As a Russian citizen I'm 100% against the war (and most of us are) but unable to stop this because the dark lord ignores the people's voices.

Our economic system is ruined by EU & US sanctions. We are already banned in most of civilized countries. The sanctions affect regular people but not the Putin's gang of corrupt pigs and war criminals.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

They are, the problem is the logistics. If all swift transfers are banned, and services like paypal cease to operate as well, I don't see how the payments can be processed.

Well those sellers can still make money and withdraw when Swift and other systems that were banned will get back online. This won't last forever, obviously. 

13 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

I doubt very much that Fiverr would make such a controversial move. Innocent Russian civilians are also victims in this. 

100% agreed. 

22 minutes ago, mikavirtanen said:

As a Russian citizen I'm 100% against the war (and most of us are) but unable to stop this because the dark lord ignores the people's voices.

I don't see why Fiverr would do this. Granted, as it was said above, if Swift and other banking systems are stopped, processing payments becomes harder. But as I said, Fiverr is an open marketplace for anyone, they are not banning anyone. 

31 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

That's not totally accurate, they ban certain countries for geo-political reasons - like  Iran, Sudan and Cuba

I see. Those are different situations. Hopefully this won't affect Russian sellers, they are not at fault here. But who knows, this war is changing every day so only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

If all swift transfers are banned, and services like paypal cease to operate as well, I don't see how the payments can be processed

Good point. Even if I don't believe marketplace like Fiverr will ban accounts (and exposing itself) the payments limitation could be a huge problem. Who knows what are thinking about this mess at Fiverr

We understand that the war with Ukraine has brought fear and uncertainty to both sides of the border, and that you might be worried about what government sanctions on the Russian economy could mean for your business.

As new information becomes available, Fiverr is committed to communicating with our Russian community as clearly and as frequently as possible. In the meantime, we hope you and your family stay safe.

11 hours ago, mikavirtanen said:

Putin's gang of corrupt pigs and war criminals.

Brave of you to speak out and make this statement @mikavirtanen. I know it's 'only the fiver forum' but governments/intelligence services are good at monitoring social media.

I've been to Russia a few times and have experienced only warmth and and immense hospitality from the Russian people. I remember over plenty of Vodkas in 2015 & 2017, in Moscow, Kazan & Chistopol  , we (English and Russians) all agreed that it isn't people that cause these problems, arguments and fighting. It is governments. We all just want our families to be safe, happy and prosperous.

I'm confident fiverr won't stop allowing Russian fiverr sellers to sell on fiverr (unless a government makes them). You may struggle to withdraw your funds though until this is over.

Stay safe and strong! I don't know anyone that blames the Russian people for this, the government/leadership yes, but not the people!

On 2/28/2022 at 5:53 PM, mikavirtanen said:

As a Russian seller I really hope that Fiverr will not ban or suspend our accounts due to putin's aggression towards Ukraine.

Our economic system is ruined by EU & US sanctions. We are already banned in most of civilized countries. The sanctions affect regular people but not the Putin's gang of corrupt pigs and war criminals.

I highly doubt it, and I hope not so.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:34 AM, williambryan392 said:

but not the people

I’m all for we are the world we are the children narrative but let’s stop with the idea that no one wants or supports this. putin has a target audience with a supremacy fetish. Thinking otherwise is naive. 

I don’t support any blanket bans or other punishment for people just trying to make a living.

But I’m blown away by all this “oh it’s just one guy pulling the strings, it's fine” stuff. 

6 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

let’s stop with the idea that no one wants or supports this. putin has a target audience with a supremacy fetish. Thinking otherwise is naive. 

True, but they are not the majority of the population, and many of them are fed misinformation since the moment they're born. It's a tough situation, where many of the people that support him are completely detached from reality, so it's not like we can blame them, in a sense. They are acting under false assumptions. I mean, when even half the soldiers have no idea what they are doing or why, how can the general Russian population understand? Many of them probably aren't even aware there is a war, or what the scale is. And if you are an 80 year old russian grandmother and you hear on the TV that your brave soldiers had to go fight "the n*zis that are a threat to the motherland", of course you will support them.

(My previous comment was exactly the same as this one, but was hidden by the system, due to the "n*zis" word being spelled out. I really don't like that kind of blanket rule, it stops me from saying "f*ck the n*zis", for example. Pretending words or concepts don't exist or can't be said is not a good policy).

4 hours ago, visualstudios said:

but they are not the majority of the population

We don't know the numbers. We won't ever know the numbers or who from the captured soldiers is telling the truth.

Claims like this would for sure be awfully convinient when later down the line the rest of the world looks at them funny and maybe mention things like responsibility. War crimes and levelling cities into the ground is not a parking ticket. Taunting a sovereign country for years is not an oopsie. Revelling in the idea of "teaching it a lesson it won't forget" is not just talking smack on the internet. 

It's a result of having certain opinions about smaller countries around you for years, decades, centuries. Fueled by propaganda, yes. The propaganda that took root too fast and too easy, though. 

11 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

The propaganda that took root too fast and too easy, though. 

I wouldn't call centuries of history "too fast and too easy". Russia has been all propaganda since the 1800's lol That country is seriously messed up. And it's gonna get worse, btw, this war is suicide. They'll never win. And they will become a third world country with nukes (that probably don't even function properly) with the world turning their back on them and sanctioning them to hell.

13 minutes ago, lenasemenkova said:

The propaganda that took root too fast and too easy, though.

I wouldn't call centuries of history "too fast and too easy". Russia has been all propaganda since the 1800's lol That country is seriously messed up. And it's gonna get worse, btw, this war is suic*de. They'll never win. And they will become a third world country with nukes (that probably don't even function properly) with the world turning their back on them and sanctioning them to hell.

(wtf, can't even say suic*de here now without my post getting hidden? What is this, Putin's russia?)

10 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

but let’s stop with the idea that no one wants or supports this

For the avoidance of doubt I didn't say this. For sure some countries and people do support this, Russian or otherwise.

On 3/1/2022 at 8:34 AM, williambryan392 said:

I don't know anyone

My point was that I don't know anyone personally or professionally that blames the Russian people as a collective. For sure some do, but I was speaking of my own personal experience.

And by people I meant the people that are just trying to get by in life, the ones that don't have the power, wealth or influence of the elite, the ones that don't have access to a free media, the ones that have been brainwashed over decades, the ones that are scared of getting charged with treason for protesting or the ones that are brave enough to still protest anyway. I don't blame them anymore than I blame the non elite/non leadership North Koreans for Kim Jong-un and his missile/nuclear program.

You're completely right, it isn't just one person pulling the strings, if he didn't have at least some support none of this would be possible.

2 hours ago, visualstudios said:

I wouldn't call centuries of history "too fast and too easy". Russia has been all propaganda since the 1800's lol That country is seriously messed up. And it's gonna get worse, btw, this war is suic*de. They'll never win. And they will become a third world country with nukes (that probably don't even function properly) with the world turning their back on them and sanctioning them to hell.

(wtf, can't even say suic*de here now without my post getting hidden? What is this, Putin's russia?)

This war is the most unusual because from Russian side, it's no-one's fault. One side is like: it's NATO, US, Ukraine, the aliens, the illuminati, etc. They are to blame. The other side gets incredibly upset because it's "not their president" hence not their problem. I'm getting contacted by Russian acquantainces who need *me* to calm *them* down. To stroke their hair and tell them they are good people.  

If you go up the chain, straight to the Ural bunker, I'm sure the dude in there will tell you that it's not his fault either.

It's like the bombs are falling by themselves. The tanks are driving by themselves. The fighter jets are flying, the boots are marching. Just because. The country of 40 million people just woke up one day and decided to self-immolate. Stop hitting yourself, Ukraine, what's up with all the drama, geez.

It's convenient. It's incredibly convinient.

2 hours ago, williambryan392 said:

For the avoidance of doubt I didn't say this. For sure some countries and people do support this, Russian or otherwise.

My point was that I don't know anyone personally or professionally that blames the Russian people as a collective. For sure some do, but I was speaking of my own personal experience.

And by people I meant the people that are just trying to get by in life, the ones that don't have the power, wealth or influence of the elite, the ones that don't have access to a free media, the ones that have been brainwashed over decades, the ones that are scared of getting charged with treason for protesting or the ones that are brave enough to still protest anyway. I don't blame them anymore than I blame the non elite/non leadership North Koreans for Kim Jong-un and his missile/nuclear program.

You're completely right, it isn't just one person pulling the strings, if he didn't have at least some support none of this would be possible.

I must have conflated your comment with a number of others. About poor little soldiers and whatnot. I apologize.

As for being scared to protest, I mean. They might run out of troops to send in and announce full mobilization (or whatever the proper term is). Will it be appropriate not to be scared then? Or will it still be more scary than partaking in a large-scale military operation? 

PS I wasn't going to comment on anything. I'm just too burned out. But I was blown away by a victim narrative that's emerging while Ukrainians are too busy with more pressing matters to speak for themselves. 

Archived