Has anyone been working with a gig from Russian from prior to the war?

scoutandcompany

Good morning, I really need some advice please. I've been working with a Russian illustrator for my children's book who is amazing. Truly gifted, and she's been an essential and valuable part of my writing team. We connected PRE-WAR, and let me be clear: I am 100% AGAINST what Russian is doing to UKRAINE. However, I'm feeling a lot of conflict and confusion about how to move forward. I still need to pay my Russian gig for her next installment. I don't want to turn my back on her. The Russian market is crashing. I don't even know if she CAN be paid at this point. My heart is broken for the Ukrainians. My heart is also breaking for the Russian people who want nothing to do with Putin's war. Thoughts on how to proceed? Please be kind, I'm trying to do the right thing. Thank you.

Even though this probably isn't the place for me to share my political views, literally NONE of the Russians want war with the Ukrainians except for Putin and because of Russia's messed up government system, no one else really has a choice. I would suggest you look at your seller as a person and not a Russian because they probably don't want war either.

3 hours ago, scoutandcompany said:

Thoughts on how to proceed?

Keep working with her if you like her work.

Supporting a Russian illustrator who has nothing to do with the war doesn't mean supporting the war.

If you stopped working with her now, you would just hurt her, and you wouldn't help anyone.

4 hours ago, scoutandcompany said:

My heart is also breaking for the Russian people who want nothing to do with Putin's war.

You might not see much public protests in the media but bear in mind repressions are strong here and it's hard to be heard. I spent 12 hours in a police department just because of a "No war" banner. Russia isn't Putin.

Archived