When recording voiceovers, do you wear headphones?

precords1275

Personally, I used to, but then I realized it's just (for me) one more thing to watch out for, cables, setting levels, possible bleed, etc. It was a bigger problem when I used a condenser because the cable would make noise that my 414 picked up, but now I use my SM7b - I recently got an SE Electronics DM-1 Dynamite, which does the same thing as the Cloudlifter, and it's just so much more useable with the added gain.

• Like 23
  • Up 1

12 hours ago, precords1275 said:

Personally, I used to, but then I realized it's just (for me) one more thing to watch out for, cables, setting levels, possible bleed, etc. It was a bigger problem when I used a condenser because the cable would make noise that my 414 picked up, but now I use my SM7b - I recently got an SE Electronics DM-1 Dynamite, which does the same thing as the Cloudlifter, and it's just so much more useable with the added gain.

Yeah, the SM7b is a gain hog for sure. I also used to wear headphones when I record VO, but now I hardly ever do because of the same reasons you mentioned, but the main reason for me is so my head doesn't get fatigued when voicing for long periods of time. Even the most plush headphone pads will get uncomfortable after a few hours of being continuously on your head. So I usually just use headphones for when I am mixing and producing audio like a radio commercial or a podcast intro and go between my near field monitors and my cans. I usually have my cans hanging on a hook in my booth with the ear cups folded open and if I turn the headphone volume up, I can hear the playback enough to get my VO recorded and edited and it doesn't get picked up at all by my 416. Yeah, the SM7b is a gain hog for sure, but its quite a versatile mic! 

• Like 18
  • Up 2

I use a closed set of cans to monitor my recordings since that gives me immediate feedback on how the actual recording sounds. In my small booth, speech is quite dampened and isn't an accurate depiction of how it sounds when picked up by my mic. It also allows me to notice any of the annoyingly imperceptible mouth sounds I make so I can immediately do a retake. Powerful and sensitive mics are as much a blessing as they are a curse. 😅

• Like 20

1 hour ago, precords1275 said:

Izotope RX9!

You use the Elements, Pro or Standard? I still use the Elements version. The De-click works pretty well for me so I haven't been in a hurry to upgrade to standard. I'm sure I will be blown away when I do upgrade, but I keep waiting for the right upgrade sale! 😂

• Like 18

It really depends on the product and session length. I usually operate as follows:

No headphones when:

• Dubbing of big films
  • Small commercials and VOs that require no timed sync on my own studio

Headphones on when: 

• Dubbing of TV/platforms shows/small movies (only one can on, the other ear remains free). This does vary depending on the dubbing director and character I'm dubbing. Sometimes headphones become too distracting and I end up not using them.
  • Commercials on other studios (to communicate with clients/sound engineer)
  • Audiobooks
  • Commercials that require timed sync on my own studio

That's pretty much it!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi there,

I used to wear headphones while recording but now I prefer do not use them. I can hear better my voice and I feel more confortable. If I have to listen back to some part of the recording, I prefer to use the speaker. 

Of course, headphones are mandatory during the voice-over editing.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

Like critzalide I used to wear headphones, but not any longer now. When I'm too long in recording sessions I feel stressed with it. My beyerdynamics are very comfortable, but I've got the feeling, that I'm going to damage my ears. Don't know if that is true. Only in voice dub or other special situations I take them.

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

It varies for me... depending on the day, the project, the mood I'm in... most often, though, it is one can on and the other ear free.

If I'm doing long narration (like an audiobook) and I want to hear that my voice tone is staying consistent, or my neighbourhood is being slightly more noisy than normal (garbage day, a lawn-mowing or sunny low-flying kind of day) I'll tend to wear them to check for any low-frequency ambient noise interruptions that my mic is picking up, so I can pause until the noise passes. (My studio is heavily treated but I live near a small airport and those little cessnas love to fly low over the town and have a frequency that still just penetrates my 4-layer walls! Those and the harley-riding neighbour down the street!! I can't hear them, but my mic can.)

If, however, I'm doing something that needs a more natural, conversational read, the cans come completely off.

• Like 4