New to Fiverr and looking for Digital Artist for large project.

Hello, 

I am looking for a digital artist that can create 175-200 images, resembling an academic textbook style art, that is willing to discuss terms of usage for copyright intent. I am hoping to be able to discuss the ins-and-outs of what I need done, so someone I can work with, rather than just putting an order in. Sample images are already in place for the entire project, so you will be very easily guided. I am here to look for someone to collaborate on this work and possibly discuss work in the future. Most of the pictures that are in this project are animals and scenery.

Since I am new here I am not quite sure what the protocol or pricing is for a project like this, so please let me know your thoughts and forward this to anyone who might find it fitting. 

Thanks!

• Like 15

There's no mention of a budget in your brief. Nor of your time-frame.

8 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

175-200 images

Would suggest you break this down into smaller bundles. Something like:

> I'm looking for about 175-200 images. I'm willing to use the Milestone options, and images can be in bundles of 10-20.

resembling an academic textbook style art

Sample images are already in place for the entire project, so you will be very easily guided.

Without seeing the samples, stating 'your will be very easily guided' is presumptuous and not true. This alone will put many Sellers off, as artists are NOT mind-readers, and this translates as "I'm going to be a pain to work with".

I am here to look for someone to collaborate on this work and possibly discuss work in the future.

Ouch.

Please see: 

please let me know your thoughts and forward this to anyone who might find it fitting.

If you want to use the forums to polish your brief, that's fine, but if you want Sellers to come to you I suggest you try the Buyer Request option. https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360050062693-Tips-to-submit-an-effective-Buyer-Request?segment=buyer

I would also suggest taking at least some time to browse Fiverr yourself, to see what gigs are offering in terms of quality-to-price, so you'll have a better Idea of what to expect. Lastly: DO NOT tell ANY seller "but SellerX is offering to do it for $X less than your price" unless you're looking to be blocked; If you want SellerX's price, buy it from SellerX.

• Like 10
  • Up 3

Thank you so much for all the information, I am very new to the freelance art world and to fiverr, so all of this was very helpful! I took a brief look on the site, and read through the forums and have aquired (what I hope was) a general knowledge on what there is to offer.

I did not put a price in the original topic because I would assume that is something you discuss in a one-on-one setting. I know my general budget, but it all depends on the artist I go with and what they are comfortable with. Thank you so much for suggesting smaller bundles, I think that would be way more appealing and managable, and therefore also give a price ballpark to know if the project is even something an artist is interested in. My fear with that is I have to turn to multiple artists (and therefore possibly a variation of styles) because one artist can't complete them all. 

Again, thank you for mentioning how sample images are not going to be much help without seeing them. I kind of figured this, however thought that might also go in a one-on-one, or possibly in an actual job listing. (which i dont know if fiverr has or not.) Because I want to be able to work with the artist and create a communicable client-artist relationship, I would not expect them, nor want them, to be mind readers. Hopefully not (fingers crossed), but I very well may be a pain to work with, however I would mostly put that on the fact that I have never hired a freelancer, let alone an artist before. 

Not quite sure how collaborating or a discussion of further work (if we are both happy with the first) is unappealing to sellers? That may be because I am not a freelance artist though lol. 

From what you described, I'm not sure fiverr has the resources I am looking for. Nevertheless, I will continue to browse the website to see what it has, and see what I should be expecting. 

Also, in regards to "academic textbook style art," I'm not honestly sure what the proper name for the art style would be. If you know, please let me know! Ill attach some sample images of the style to give an idea. I know within the pictures, theres a small variation in style. I am looking more at the overall style (if that makes sense)

Thank you again for all the suggestions and information. I found it enlightening. 

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

8.PNG

9.PNG

• Like 9

15 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

I took a brief look on the site, and read through the forums and have aquired (what I hope was) a general knowledge on what there is to offer.

That is a huge relief to hear. Far, far too many newcomers 'leap before they look'. 

I did not put a price in the original topic because I would assume that is something you discuss in a one-on-one setting. I know my general budget, but it all depends on the artist I go with and what they are comfortable with.

While this is true, price can also hint at what quality you're looking for. Knowing what you want is important, as is knowing how to balance and when to compromise for sake of the time/budget/quality constraints.

(More on 'quality' in a minute.)

Thank you so much for suggesting smaller bundles, I think that would be way more appealing and managable, and therefore also give a price ballpark to know if the project is even something an artist is interested in. My fear with that is I have to turn to multiple artists (and therefore possibly a variation of styles) because one artist can't complete them all. 

You're welcome. And that is indeed a valid concern. The solution is buying small test samples.

(I know I read a thread/topic specifically on purchasing small samples, but now I can't find it. The author of those two has a LOT of experience as a Buyer, so her all her 'Tips for' threads are worth looking at.)

Again, thank you for mentioning how sample images are not going to be much help without seeing them. I kind of figured this, however thought that might also go in a one-on-one, or possibly in an actual job listing. (which i dont know if fiverr has or not.) Because I want to be able to work with the artist and create a communicable client-artist relationship, I would not expect them, nor want them, to be mind readers. Hopefully not (fingers crossed), but I very well may be a pain to work with, however I would mostly put that on the fact that I have never hired a freelancer, let alone an artist before.

Coming back to the 'quality', 'price', and 'time' points, and in relation to 'style': your sample images (which are beautiful btw) are VERY different from what I pictured. I was thinking simplified technical drawings/illustrations like what might find in a middle school geography or biology textbook. Your samples are closer to what one might find in a high school English literature or collage-level art history textbook. Like this:

Technical Illustrations by James Provost | Technical illustration, Diagram  design, Infographic illustration

(No affiliation with the above image creator, it was just the first example that came up in Google that encapsulated what I was picturing for textbook images.)

Since you're new to the scene (welcome to the Fiverr forums, btw, forgot to say that in my previous post), I would definitely recommend giving yourself a small 'play/test' budget so you can safely 'mess around' with learning how Fiverr works. Ms Gina has a good thread on that too:

That you took as much time as you have to elaborate on this brief, is a good sign that you'll not 'be a pain' to work with in terms of communication. 

Not quite sure how collaborating or a discussion of further work (if we are both happy with the first) is unappealing to sellers? That may be because I am not a freelance artist though lol.

If, IF you are both happy with how a first order has gone, then that is absolutely appealing to Sellers. The piece of the puzzle you're missing is that scammers like to use that line.

Stating that you have a big project and are buying test sample to try and find the right seller is completely fine. But stating "if you do well, more work in future" is dangling a carrot. For scammers, that carrot is hanging over a cliff. Honest buyers do use it in the way it's intended, implying 'I want to see your best work', but scammers will use it to try and demand more out of a Seller that what is agreed on. (Also, for some freelancers, it also implies that you don't trust them to do their best, up front, which can be seen as insulting, as many stake their reputation or even livelihoods on their confidence in delivering quality work.)

It's basically a red flag that puts seller in an unsure and wary mindset, especially if they've already been taken advantage of before. Once burned, twice shy. Psychology, and cognitive biases, and consumer behavior. 

16 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

From what you described, I'm not sure fiverr has the resources I am looking for. Nevertheless, I will continue to browse the website to see what it has, and see what I should be expecting. 

Also, in regards to "academic textbook style art," I'm not honestly sure what the proper name for the art style would be. If you know, please let me know! Ill attach some sample images of the style to give an idea. I know within the pictures, theres a small variation in style. I am looking more at the overall style (if that makes sense)

Based on most of the samples (which, again, so pretty), I'd call that style 'realistic oil painting' (which should give you good search results in Fiverr), though for descriptors in your brief, you could say 'something that might be hung as framed wall art, or used as a book cover'. (The one with the keyhole looks more like colored pencils, and the chickens look more like a watercolor/ink mix.)

Be careful, though, as there are fakers who will just apply filters if you provide photo samples. But this is part of why you buy small test samples.

If you still feel Fiverr isn't right for what you're looking for, I'd recommend using YouTube and finding people who post time-lapse of themselves painting. (Again, be careful, as there has been a recent incline of people faking this, so go for older/established channels. This will also let you check their consistency and quality.)

16 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

Thank you again for all the suggestions and information. I found it enlightening.

You are VERY welcome, and thank you for elaborating.

• Like 9

Alright I am back with some questions about approaching artists. Please excuse the ignorance in these questions, as im sure there will be some. 

1. Is it normal to contact the artist and ask a few questions before placing an order? Within that, I am not sure if it is common to draft a contract for the rights of the piece(s) (probably not for just one piece). Essentially I would like to know they are open to signing the rights over for commercial use, before I consider them for future work. However, I dont really know the best way to ask that question. I also dont know if this is something I should ask before I buy a test sample of their work, or after.

2. Is it normal for sellers to talk about a project with a client that wont happen for a few months, up to a year? For the quality of art I am looking for, I have come to the conclusion that I am probably going to fundraise on kickstarter or a like-website. For "backers," they like to know who the artists are, and to be updated on the project. So if the project takes a year to fundraise, that is when the work will actually begin. I would feel like it would be hard to get someone to commit to something that far out, but then again I know sometimes there are certain pieces that alone can take months. So not quite sure...

3. I know this is probably the worst question to ask, but is it normal for an artist to quote a different amount for a larger project, than if they were to do it by their individual sale market price? The reason I am asking is to learn how much I should be budgetting in the grand scheme of things. 

4. Is it unappealing for an arist to be asked for unlimited revisions? My hope is not to have to send a picture back 200 times to "get it right" but more to be able to create the image with the artist, and if something isnt working, not be pressured with "only 2 revisions" so after the last one it is what it is. 

Please let me know all thoughts and opinions you may have!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, inkmeolive said:

The reason I am asking is to learn how much I should be budgetting in the grand scheme of things. 

I would say a lot. 
Most of those pictures are watercolour paintings with two digital drawings. 
And they are complex and best case will be taking a few days to a week to complete each of them. That will not be cheap, even if we take the minimal price of 100$ per drawing for that level of complexity and multiply it by 200 images you are already in 20000$ budget. Plus fiverr fees.
I wouldn’t expect too much people offering illustrations for 10$ per piece to be proficient enough to draw in watercolour, plus all papers, watercolours, materials etc. 

Unlimited revisions on a paper drawing? I doubt that, what’s drawn on paper can not be changed or will need to be completely redrawn. And unlimited revisions for 200 pictures? Uhhhh no thanks. 

To be honest you’d better start small testing sellers here and there for the style that you like and then asking them to complete more and more drawings if you like them 

• Like 5
  • Up 5

After looking around more at art styles, I am more drawn towards a digitally drawn painting (so hopefully that helps in the ability to do the revisions, so therefore not on paper) There are about 150 images of that style, plus about 20-30 small details that are added to create the logo, informational page, etc. If I exclude those for the moment, I am looking at just shy of 150 images, still a large number though. If I break it down even more, there are 72 that are needed to complete the first portion of the project. Maybe I just commit to those 72, and if things pan out, continue towards the other half. 

I didnt know fiverr fees were so much! Thank you for mentioning this, I will definitely have to account for that in my budget. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

1. Is it normal to contact the artist and ask a few questions before placing an order?

Fiverr is set up with the intent to eliminate the barrier to buy. That said, MANY sellers appreciate being contacted before an order is placed.

Usually this depends on the category of the gig and the service offer, how well the Seller has set up their gig requirements, and how well the Buyer does (or does not) know what they want AND/OR how well the Buyer is usually able to communicate what they want.

I can say, if the Seller has mentioned in the gig 'please contact first', then it's generally polite to contact first. This also gives you the added bonus on checking the Seller's professionalism upfront, and seeing if the level of English they claim in their profile is accurate. (Nothing against non-native speakers but "lost in translation" is a thing that has and does cause issues. Gig =/= concert. Knock =/= contact. Fiverr =/= fiber. Congress =/= Congrats.)

Essentially I would like to know they are open to signing the rights over for commercial use, before I consider them for future work.

That one's somewhat easy. Fiverr's Terms of Service:

Ownership

Ownership and limitations: When purchasing a Gig on Fiverr, unless clearly stated otherwise on the Seller's Gig page/description, when the work is delivered, and subject to payment, the Buyer is granted all intellectual property rights, including but not limited to, copyright in the work delivered from the Seller, and the Seller waives any and all moral rights therein. Accordingly, the Seller expressly assigns to the Buyer the copyright in the delivered work. All transfer and assignment of intellectual property to the Buyer shall be subject to full payment for the Gig, and the delivery may not be used if payment is cancelled for any reason. For removal of doubt, in custom created work (such as art work, design work, report generation etc.), the delivered work and its copyright shall be the exclusive property of the Buyer and, upon delivery, the Seller agrees that it thereby, pursuant to these Terms of Service, assigns all right, title and interest in and to the delivered work to the Buyer. Some Gigs (including for custom created work) charge additional payments (through Gig Extras) for a Commercial Use License. This means that if you purchase the Gig for personal use, you will own all rights you require for such use, and will not need the Commercial Use License. If you intend to use it for any charge or other consideration, or for any purpose that is directly or indirectly in connection with any business, or other undertaking intended for profit, you will need to buy the Commercial Use License through a Gig Extra and will have broader rights that cover your business use.

So, mainly have to read the gig description, gig packages, the FAQs, and the extras. If the Seller has not indicated otherwise, the final delivery is fully yours once the gig is marked as complete. If you want to ask a seller so as to be sure, then go ahead, but EVERYONE on this platform clicked "I AGREE" to the ToS when they signed up, and the ToS is a binding contract.

2. Is it normal for sellers to talk about a project with a client that wont happen for a few months, up to a year?

That one's a bit more tricky.

When I first joined, Fiverr had a rule that a gig's duration absolutely could not be more than 30 days. That has since changed, but there's still a fair bit of caution around long-term projects. Fiverr is VERY strict about keeping all communication on-platform, and for a project like yours, you'd probably want something where you and ALL the people working on the project can communicate with each other as needed. Fiverr isn't great at message relay, and has NO multi-user messaging option.

is it normal for an artist to quote a different amount for a larger project, than if they were to do it by their individual sale market price?

Another tricky question. ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, their can be several reasons why you might be quoted a higher price for a VERY large and/or time-consuming project: 

• Freelancers usually raise their prices as they grow as a business: 
    • New freelancers,  especially ones who've never worked as a freelancer before, don't know how to properly price themselves. They've never timed themselves on how long it actually takes them to do a thing. They don't bother doing the math for what the thing they're doing should actually cost. 
    • New freelancers, especially ones who've never worked as a freelancer before, underpriced themselves to look attractive to potential buyers. They don't want to be stuck at that low rate and are trying to backpaddle and set the price they should have listed when they made their gig. Basically unintentional bait & switch, due to an error/lapse of judgment on their part. They don't want to be stuck in a contract working for half of what they should have charged.
    • Knowledgeable freelancers get better and or faster at what they do, and so can charge more for that specialization.
    • Freelancers need to keep up with inflation
  • They want to have some compensation regarding opportunity costs. 
  • They might want some compensation in case the project falls through.
  • It might be a case of actual and intentional bait-and-switch, which you should report is you encounter as that's against the ToS.
3 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

The reason I am asking is to learn how much I should be budgetting in the grand scheme of things. 

Whew. Now that's a good question. Not one that's easily answered either. There's a reason Project Management is it's own class and is often required to get any Business degree in most colleges. Finance too, for that matter.

There's a pretty old quote, that goes something like: "When going on vacation, lay out all your clothes and all your money. Then, take half the clothes and twice the money." Vacation planning is NOT a perfect correlation to a project, but there's some good advice in there, nonetheless. Take some time and lay out your ENTIRE project as best you can, include EVERYTHING you wish you could include in it. Then, lay out your best educated guess of how much you think it will cost. Then it's time to scale down the scope, cut the fluff, kill the darlings. Double-to-triple the budget. This is NOT to say that you shouldn't try to stick to your original budget, do do you best to stick to it, the wiggle room is just the best way to plan for unforeseeable events and delays. 

Is it unappealing for an arist to be asked for unlimited revisions?

YES.

This is another of those 'red flags' that most serious sellers avoid. HOWEVER...

My hope is not to have to send a picture back 200 times to "get it right" but more to be able to create the image with the artist, and if something isnt working, not be pressured with "only 2 revisions" so after the last one it is what it is.

...it depends on how you AND the Seller define 'revisions'. (And the type of gig/service.)

For me, I'm usually happy to tweak things IF I'm still in the 'sketch' phase of a drawing, but once the linework is down, changes are harder (if working on paper with ink, well, ink can't be erased), and once color is applied is usually means any tweak is actually a change order (link to Wikipedia).

This is another very good reason to purchase test samples, so you can see how well the Seller communicates with you during the order.

I am ALL FOR working WITH a buyer, but if a Buyer wants something changed AFTER an order is done, that will take me an additional three hours to do, then I would rather like to be paid for that time.

1 hour ago, inkmeolive said:

I am more drawn towards a digitally drawn painting (so hopefully that helps in the ability to do the revisions, so therefore not on paper)

Digital will also help on the budget front a little bit. Art supplies are expensive.

While digital can help with revisions in the sketch and 'inking' steps, and a little in the coloring phase, any change that affects the 'physics' in a piece would count as a change order, and NOT a revision. Especially since you're going for realistic paintings. For example, in your unicorn example picture, if you wanted the left hind leg to be a little higher or further forward, that affects the muscles, the lighting and shadows, the background, possibly even the tail position.

• Like 6
  • Up 3

11 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

Another tricky question.

Thank you so much for elaborating on all my different questions, the responses helped me so much! It gives me a better feel for what to expect on fiverr and a more realistic goal for what my project should be.

11 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

for a project like yours, you'd probably want something where you and ALL the people working on the project can communicate with each other as needed. Fiverr isn't great at message relay, and has NO multi-user messaging option.

Do you, (or anyone) know a platform that is more geared towards team freelance projects? If so, I would appreciate the info! I would definitely look into there too. 

Edited by inkmeolive
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, inkmeolive said:

Do you, (or anyone) know a platform that is more geared towards team freelance projects?

It's not so much the freelancing platforms that are available, but the communication options that you have to work with. Fiverr, as mentioned, does not permit taking communication out of the platform.

HOWEVER, as also previously mentioned:

On 2/24/2022 at 11:41 AM, imagination7413 said:

If you still feel Fiverr isn't right for what you're looking for, I'd recommend using YouTube and finding people who post time-lapse of themselves painting.

Google is your friend.

Many people are on multiple platforms.

Many have set up their own websites.

Many will work with you and a team through alternative reliable communication channels.

Google is your friend.

• Like 8

On 2/24/2022 at 8:13 AM, inkmeolive said:

Oh man. This kind of quality artwork will take week to month for most people. Luckily you are using Fiverr.  You could find hundred different illustrators and order from them same time. I strongly suggest you to contact them first. Check out their gig samples, reviews. You can expect 100$+ for rather simple pieces. For harder pieces like unicorn you can expect at least 500$+ per piece. I am afraid fiverr maybe cheapest and most suited option among all platforms.   

• Like 6
  • Up 1