Jump to content

Laptop for writers


corsogr
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lately I'm thinking of buying a new laptop specifically for my writing needs / typing. I will have to ask the writers of this forum if they have any suggestions about a laptop for writers.

Plenty of guides, seen a dozen of them, still I'll place the question here.

 

 

  • Like 23
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a writer myself and I dislike writing on a laptop. I created a powerful battlestation with 2 x 31.5 inch monitors that make writing, researching, etc a delight. But I know not everyone works the way I do. 

I have a laptop just in case I need to travel and as it was said above, a Macbook is usually a very good fit, if you don't mind the smaller screen. It all comes down to your budget. I think the Vivobook and Zenbook lines from ASUS are worth looking into as well.

  • Like 19
  • Up 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, corsogr said:

Now I need to buy a new laptop too.

Check this, TechRadar is usually very good and I agree with their main choices. Didn't try the Google one, but Surface is amazing when it comes to writing and it also has that touch display which is worth it in my opinion. Otherwise a MacBook will do fine. Honestly it depends on the budget. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-laptop-for-writers

 

  • Like 14
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, corsogr said:

Not sure if a Macbook has a very good keyboard for typing.

I forgot to say, you're making me change my laptop, seeing these newer, much better units than what I have. Especially the new MacBooks with that powerful chip. Not that it matters for writing, but it does convey more productivity.

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, visualstudios said:

The new m1 macbooks have a very good keyboard, yes. Much better than the previous models.

They are great and I am considering upgrading my Windows laptop to one of those later on this year. That being said, they take some getting used to with the OS if you're a Windows guy and... there's also the dark elephant in the room 

DMLv.gif.00b37aec8f699a322390646c136083a7.gif

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, donnovan86 said:

Check this, TechRadar is usually very good and I agree with their main choices. Didn't try the Google one, but Surface is amazing when it comes to writing and it also has that touch display which is worth it in my opinion. Otherwise a MacBook will do fine. Honestly it depends on the budget. 

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-laptop-for-writers

I mean, they put as a con to the macbook "Fanless design could impact performance"... Like that matters for a writer lol. That's actually a plus, since it's 100% silent. I have a mac mini m1, and I can confidently say there's nothing a writer could do in that computer that would need a fan. I edit 4k video on it and the fans barely kick in. Performance is amazing. 

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, donnovan86 said:

That being said, they take some getting used to with the OS if you're a Windows guy and... there's also the dark elephant in the room 

The price factor used to be a real thing when they were using intel, but with m1 that's no longer the case. You can get a mb air m1 for like 700 bucks now. There's no windows computer at a similar price point that even comes close in terms of performance/battery life/portability. You can get cheaper windows computers, yes, but they will be much worse. M1 macs are the first time that Apple is actually winning the bang for the buck fight.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

I mean, they put as a con to the macbook "Fanless design could impact performance"... Like that matters for a writer lol. That's actually a plus, since it's 100% silent. I have a mac mini m1, and I can confidently say there's nothing a writer could do in that computer that would need a fan. I edit 4k video on it and the fans barely kick in. Performance is amazing. 

I agree, as I said writers can use any laptop. But for the sake of good performance you always want to have the newer one. Especially when it comes to Apple, as they drop support for older models from time to time, so might as well get the new one.

 

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a new model though, about 1 year old by now. It will be supported for at least another 5 years. And in terms of performance, the m1 is a game changer. What I wouldn't get now is any mac with an intel cpu, those are dead or will be very soon. They are also way too expensive for what they offer in comparison.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, melanielm said:

Does anyone know of a laptop with a big, chunky, mechanical keyboard? I always work at my desktop, and I cannot stand those flat, silent laptop keyboards. I think I will be chained to my desk forever, though.

Closest I can think of is a specific Alienware series. However these laptops are not designed for writers.

You can always use external keyboard too.

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 5:06 PM, melanielm said:

Does anyone know of a laptop with a big, chunky, mechanical keyboard? I always work at my desktop, and I cannot stand those flat, silent laptop keyboards. I think I will be chained to my desk forever, though.

The only one I can think of is this https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-17

Although the keyboard is large and stuff, it's not fully mechanical, it's optomechanical. However, you do get a ton of performance, and there are also smaller sized models for this, I think there's a 13 inch one and a 15 inch one too. But if you want a desktop replacement and have the money for it, this is certainly a great one. 

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This answer always goes back to your budget. However, if you are looking to invest in some good laptops I recommend:

MacBook Air or Macbook Pro.

If you are a Windows user:

Dell XPS or Lenovo

I was using a Lenovo but switched everything I own over to Mac. I am extremely happy I did, a very easy, fast, and reliable interface to work with. If you work with your laptop, you should invest in the best possible tool you can, so that you have something that lasts, and you save money in the longrun! Cheers!

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thiagodematos said:

MacBook Air or Macbook Pro.

With M1, don't go with the macbook pro. Performance is essentially the same, as are the screen and keyboard, but the pro is heavier, bulkier, and it costs significantly more. The only advantage is slightly better battery life, but it doesn't make any sense given the cost difference. The air is by far the best bang for the buck.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...