personalized stories

brent_hugh

so I have been thinking about a way that could help parents with helping their children to try to read more. from an early age children may want to start reading. not that they know it but it really helps them in the future studies. but what about the children that don’t have an interest in reading at all, and no matter how maybe different books you give them to read. They keep rejecting them.

maybe they just haven't found the kind of story that they like. well what if we can personalize the story for them. take them, use their name and their favourite things to take them on an adventure to their favourite place in the whole world. try to create a story that they are sure to love. with simple words and easy paced action that wont be too hard for them to read nor will it be too easy. A level and a story they is easy and fun for them to read because its them and their favourite toys on an adventure to them moon where them meet a white dragon that lives in a cave.

thank you for reading and I hope that people can let me know what they think of this idea.

29 minutes ago, brent_hugh said:

thank you for reading and I hope that people can let me know what they think of this idea.

I've been doing this (with interactive stories) for quite a while! Personalized stories do exist but it's definitely a good idea! The only tricky part is that the competition is usually actually companies who do the illustration/etc. themselves as well - just regular stories don't necessarily entertain kiddos the way you'd think. (unless the parent is really good at acting them out / interacting with the kid as they are reading.) But the idea definitely has potential!

(if you are working/you have kids who reject books/ideas - try other forms of media. There are lots of videos that still work like 'books' but they are more immersive. Have the kids guess what happens next and so on. I worked with kids for a fair bit so I know it's rough! Personalization definitely helps, too though!)

2 hours ago, katakatica said:

I've been doing this (with interactive stories) for quite a while! Personalized stories do exist but it's definitely a good idea! The only tricky part is that the competition is usually actually companies who do the illustration/etc. themselves as well - just regular stories don't necessarily entertain kiddos the way you'd think. (unless the parent is really good at acting them out / interacting with the kid as they are reading.) But the idea definitely has potential!

(if you are working/you have kids who reject books/ideas - try other forms of media. There are lots of videos that still work like 'books' but they are more immersive. Have the kids guess what happens next and so on. I worked with kids for a fair bit so I know it's rough! Personalization definitely helps, too though!)

thanks for your reply. i was a little worried about not being able to illustate myself and thought i may be able to over-come that my giving the parent or story teller some advice on how to act as they read if they chose to read the story to their child.

as for your suggestion, thats a very good idea. i shall find some book themed videos to use, i know twinkl has a lot of them types of videos that also come in an e-book form.

27 minutes ago, brent_hugh said:

if they chose to read the story to their child

3 hours ago, brent_hugh said:

helping their children to try to read more.

Have you seen this? https://literacyproj.org/2019/02/14/30-key-child-literacy-stats-parents-need-to-be-aware-of/

15. Children who are read to at least three times a week by a family member are almost twice as likely to score in the top 25% in reading compared to children who are read to less than 3 times a week.

If you want the kids to read on their own, start with stories that both kids and parents would want to read. Tailor the story to both, so that they can read together. Kids are smart. A book that's boring for the adult, kids can pick up on that, making them internalize that 'if mom/dad doesn't care, why should I' even if the story is interesting.

Number 8 is interesting, and exactly why Dr. Seuss's 1957 The Cat in the Hat was considered an "immediate critical and commercial success."

7 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

If you want the kids to read on their own, start with stories that both kids and parents would want to read. Tailor the story to both, so that they can read together. Kids are smart. A book that's boring for the adult, kids can pick up on that, making them internalize that 'if mom/dad doesn't care, why should I' even if the story is interesting.

Gosh, I love that so much and find it terribly validating. I've only ever read books to my kids that I adored. Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, Mo Willems, and now the Harry Potter books to my younger two who are young teens now. We're nearly finished with Harry and probably going to move onto Percy Jackson next. 

One of the fun things about Fiverr is that we can work with people with other skills. @brent_hugh you could shop around for a talented, reliable illustrator and make books together.

4 minutes ago, rachelbostwick said:

I've only ever read books to my kids that I adored. Dr. Seuss, Maurice Sendak, Mo Willems, and now the Harry Potter

If you're taking recommendations, you may find The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede interesting. Set of four books. They're older, but I adore how they play with tropes and expectations, sometimes played straight, other times subverted. 

Another few childhood favorites: The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White, Treasure at First Base by Eleanor ClymerTwo on an Island by Bianca R. Bradbury, Self Portrait with Wings by Susan Kohn Green.

Obviously, look them up yourself first, or read them yourself first. It's been long enough since I've read them that I can't say for sure what reading level they are, or all the topics in them. They may not have aged well.

4 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

If you're taking recommendations, you may find The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede interesting. Set of four books. They're older, but I adore how they play with tropes and expectations, sometimes played straight, other times subverted. 

Anyone who likes The Enchanted Forest Chronicles is a friend of mine. Cimorene, Kazul, and Mendanbar are great loves of my childhood. I will definitely take your other recommendations to heart 😄

Archived