I’m considering selling my IP.

frank_d

Hello fellow animators.

So I will cut to the chase:

I recently paused 3 of my gigs, gigs that have brought me thousands of dollars.

Not because they weren’t selling anymore but because I stopped enjoying working on them.

They are 3 mobile app promo templates, that I created from scratch and only I was exclusively selling on the platform.

I think that it’s a waste of Intellectual Property to just shelve them like that.

So I am actually considering selling them.

Source files, positioning, full transfer of rights, for everything including my exclusive music track.

They can be either used here on Fiverr or uploaded to any template video platform, for passive income.

Has anyone done this before?

Just weighing my options tbh.

6 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

No, not shocked, but surprised that you would want to give up one of your ‘babies’. 

I have been sitting on this decision for the past 3 months.

I feel that even though I no longer enjoy making some of my products, it’s a shame to waste good work. 

Maybe another freelancer will be glad to make money from a tested product.

I see people trying to copy/emulate my designs, so they definitely still have value.

It’s a tough decision, which is why I turned to the forum. Maybe a discussion will help me decide? 🙂

Maybe if you find the right buyer?

Like, a really well-maintained classic old show car. No car enthusiast would sell a show car to an off-the-street teen who got their driver's license a week ago. using the same analogy, though, you might be sitting on it for awhile, trying to find the right buyer. Unless you send it to 'auction'. ...I think my metaphor is falling apart.

5 minutes ago, imagination7413 said:

Maybe if you find the right buyer?

Like, a really well-maintained classic old show car. No car enthusiast would sell a show car to an off-the-street teen who got their driver's license a week ago. using the same analogy, though, you might be sitting on it for awhile, trying to find the right buyer. Unless you send it to 'auction'. ...I think my metaphor is falling apart.

I think your metaphor really nailed it.

Yes, essentially I need to find someone who is the “right person”.

To use your analogy, my products still have plenty of mileage left in them, and I have the gig analytics to prove it. 😉 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 2:26 PM, frank_d said:

I think your metaphor really nailed it.

Yes, essentially I need to find someone who is the “right person”.

To use your analogy, my products still have plenty of mileage left in them, and I have the gig analytics to prove it. 😉 

I think the "right person" is important for the personal side (its your baby, your vintage car, etc) but honestly, I have to think of it from a financial perspective. You mentioned the templates could be put on a site for passive income (which should mean you don't need to do any additional work). Would selling them off to 1 buyer work out to be financially better? I completely understand not wanting to have to actively work on the templates anymore, but if they could make you money monthly without any extra work, its definitely something to consider.

I hate to be both "the late to comment person" and the "show me the money! person"  in one comment, but....

Archived