Curious about copyright

ricksouder

I am a customer not a seller. I've recently used fiverr for getting my mixes and masters done on my tracks. I've had nothing but positive experiences.  But I'm now thinking about hiring someone to write lyrics and sing on a track that I've musically completed.  My question is how do I know my track won't be stolen? Hate to ask this but it never occurred to me before till I was asked this. 

16 minutes ago, ricksouder said:

My question is how do I know my track won't be stolen? Hate to ask this but it never occurred to me before till I was asked this. 

Are you asking how do you know your track won't be used again by the Seller for another Buyer? If this is the question, it depends on the Seller's copyright policies. In general, you own the completed work that the Seller delivered and are protected under Fiverr's general agreement. But, each Seller is allowed to have their own specific copyright guidelines in certain instances (such as Broadcast rights, commercial rights, etc), that they typically list clearly in their gig description. 

It's as simple as getting them to fill out a notice that they are working for a fee and own no rights - a work for hire. A really famous example is the kids from Brick in the Wall part 2 - pone of them grew up to be a lawyer and tried to sue Pink Floyd for royalties after the fact. A simple piece of paperwork (you can find templates online) gives you winning power if it ever comes to that - I doubt it would, but better safe than sorry!

Archived