I was just humming.

zeus777

I'm sure all of us hum or sing, whistle at random situations. I know I do.
The other day I was at my office and I was humming the theme music for the Police Academy. Don't ask me why, I just did.
(BTW my "top several favorite movie theme music" includes Police Academy, Beverly Hills Cop, Star Wars, Pirate of the Caribbean, ET, and Indiana Jones, Terminator 2 etc)

My boss heard me and gave me this look and said "........Were you just humming The Police Academy...?"

Yes ma'am, I was. 
I don't like the look on her face, she should have been smiling. I think she looked confused.

So, what random songs do you guys hum/sing/whistle?

43 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

what random songs do you guys hum/sing/whistle?

Legend of Zelda theme song. Hum, sing, AND whistle. And the other songs from that series.

Also, Megaman/Rockman.

And Tetris.

And Final Fantasy, especially the chocobo music.

And Mario.

And...

Maybe I should stop. Koji Kondo and Nobuo Uematsu are incredible composers. Video game music is just so GREAT! One of my favorite YouTube channels is 8-bit Music Theory, and the latest episode on Aryll's theme in Wind Waker had a few things I'd never noticed! 

1 hour ago, imagination7413 said:

Hum, sing, AND whistle.

Maybe you should turn that into a gig!!  "I will hum and whistle your favorite song for you."
Do you like the Dragon Quest theme music? I loooooove that one.

So @mariashtelle1, what do people in Russia do when they HAVE money? I'm curious now!
As far as I know whistling in Japan is...well, people do it normally and I don't think it's connected to being broke.

3 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

have no idea what all of that was about

Let's see, Temple of Doom, right? That's the one with that dude who rips people's hearts out while Indy is running around saving the rather useless screaming blonde lady (I will give her credit for punching that minion's face though) with his little Chinese boy sidekick.
Maybe you should:
1. Avoid riding small planes
2. If someone begs you to get some sacred stones from an evil palace, say no.
3. Always take the left tunnel.
4. Cover your heart with a metal armor.
5. If you come across a good looking guy in a hat and a whip, just walk away unless you really like adventures.

I almost always have music playing when I'm writing (especially since I work in a busy space and it's nice to have some 'peace' (though I love working there!) so I often hum along to whatever. I'm not sure why but ever since the first time I came back up to Stockholm I've had one of the openings of Naruto STUCK in my head. I haven't even heard the song in years. 

Other than that it's usually old-ish kpop (2NE1, BigBang, Shinee sometimes) that I hum along to even when I don't have music on.

Where I'm staying right now we also often have game music playing (I think it's a lot of Undertale recently, some Pokémon, the rest I'm not sure...) or just games in the background, so those sometimes get stuck in my head for a bit as well. 

(and... I had the iconic song from Squid Game playing on repeat in my brain after watching it 3 times (with different people!) 

6 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Policy Academy, too! I just love it!

And from the Bud Spencer & Terence Hill movies: Watch Out, We're Mad! and Double Trouble, those tunes are often in my head.

But only in the morning when I wake up, otherwise there's always some kind heavy/black/death/folk metal playing in the background.

6 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

We don’t 😬 Russians have a superstition that if you whistle you wouldn’t have any money 🙈

My grandmother told me when my uncle was teaching me how to whistle (around age 5) that the Virgin Mary cries when a girl whistles (she was a faithful catholic, bless her); but I think she could've been more convincing this way 😁

There is this theme from tv show “Vikings” that plays every time a major character dies. It’s called “Snake pit poetry” and it’s super dramatic and whiny at the same time. It’s also in Old Norse (I think) so you for sure won’t understand any words. 

So a great choice to hum epically. 

As for whistling, I think whistling is considered impolite in general where I’m from. Whether it’s connected to the “whistling your money away” superstition or not. Whistling is something fun and carefree and “fun and carefree” is not a slavic way in general. 

21 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Hey Zeus,😘

Lately, I've been humming the show *Cops* Bad Boys theme song.

Don't ask me why. 😄It's weird after all these years, I still don't know the words.

Oh well. Back to my humming. 🎶

16 hours ago, kataedits said:

the Virgin Mary cries when a girl whistles

Ah OK, that's...um, scary.....so what happens when a boy whistles!??

14 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

theme from tv show “Vikings”

I haven't seen it but I heard it's really good and I have seen images of the characters. And they look quite cool.
BTW back here in Japan whistling isn't a problem, but if I start whistling my friends will say that "I'm pretending to be American" (whatever that means)
so I guess it's not AS common.

1 hour ago, nikavoice said:

*Cops* Bad Boys theme song.

My girl Nika is back!!!
I've seen Cops several times, was the Bad Boys song actually made for that series??? 
Every time I hear that song in random areas I immediately think "Oh hey, it's Cops."

8 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I haven't seen it but I heard it's really good and I have seen images of the characters. And they look quite cool.

It’s a great show, IMO. It’s basically two shows because around season 4 onward they focus on different characters. It made me stop watching initially but I picked it up last year. 

I have a separate folder of screenshots of jewellery, costumes, makeup and hair. 

8 hours ago, zeus777 said:

so I guess it's not AS common.

I had a parakeet who loved it when I whistled “Tea for two” to him. He’d just drop everything he was doing, sit on my shoulder and listen. I tried to work on my repertoire but he only liked that one song. He could immediately tell if the melody was different, wouldn't care for it at all.

10 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Ah OK, that's...um, scary.....so what happens when a boy whistles!??

I honestly have no idea – Thor headbangs along? I would also recommend Vikings, it's one of my favourite shows. Or there's Norsemen which is a Norwegian comedy, an absolutely hilarious one.

27 minutes ago, annidfgw said:

sometimes I need to get up from my seat and just dance to some dynamic melody and sing to it. Mostly I sing songs from tiktok...But of the more famous songs is "Never Gonna Give You Up", God, I can listen to it forever...adore.🕺💃

So you're the 1 million people getting rick-rolled everyday...

On 2/6/2022 at 10:02 AM, newsmike said:

Hi Nika, Havent seen you in a loooong time.  Hope all is going well.

Hey Mike,😎

Ooh, you're back. Yes, it has been a very long time. I'm doing just peachy navigating through life.

Hope you and your family is doing fine and healthy. Chat soon! 🙂

On 2/5/2022 at 7:13 PM, zeus777 said:

My girl Nika is back!!!
I've seen Cops several times, was the Bad Boys song actually made for that series??? 
Every time I hear that song in random areas I immediately think "Oh hey, it's Cops."

Zeus, the song wasn't made for that show. It just was the perfect theme song. 😃
"Bad Boys" is a 1987 song by the Jamaican reggae band Inner Circle🎶

Archived