Posting your gig on social media doesn't generate sales - here's how to promote your service properly

nomadsolutions

Whenever people on here ask for tips on promoting their gigs, loads of people chime in with “post it on social media” as if this actually works. So they head over to Facebook or twitter and start spamming their links in groups and pages thinking that people are going to just buy it.

The problem is that people are bombarded with content every second of every day. They won’t even acknowledge your post. JUST posting your gig on social media does not generate sales. Here are some methods that do:

Content marketing

Build an audience outside of the platform that trusts you for quality advice on your niche. Create content such as blogs and youtube videos that help bring value to your customer base. Start building an email list and an audience.

Bring them as much value first BEFORE going in for a sale. It’s called the law of reciprocity. People feel obliged to do something for us when we do something for them. Many sites like these offer free e-books on the subject in return for customers email. If you just start reaching out to people, even if their in your target audience and asking for sales without providing them value first, your gonna have a severely lower success rate. Like 70% of the pitching / sales process is understanding their needs and pain points by listening to them.

Offer specialized advice on the niche and prove you can help solve their problems. People take action (i.e buying) to avoid pain or to gain pleasure. You need to frame your service as something that alleviates their business pains and helps them reach their goals.

Cold emails

This means identifying business that would benefit from your services and emailing them directly to drum up business. Yes, this works. You just need good copy and highly targeted leads. Again your main focus for the duration of the pitch should be on providing them value and understanding their business, as well as its pain points and goals. Offer them a fress consultation first so they feel like they’ve been given something of value for free. Again, law of reciprocity. Only once they trust you as an expert who can solve their problems and have received value from you will they even consider hiring you. It is a numbers game though. You will need to send out THOUSANDS of emails to get any results, each one tailored to the specific business, no cut and paste jobs.

Online communities

Yes, facebook groups and online forums like Quora, reddit, niche forums can get you customers. I recently got a sale from reddit. However, it’s not a matter of just advertising your services on there by posting about them. For a LONG time after joining the community you must not mention your product at all. If people think you’re just there to sell something they will resent you. It’s like walking into a bar and shoving your product in a strangers face. You need to become a trusted authority on the forums for your niche. Consistently, build your reputation on there as someone that provides quality contributions to the forums, establish yourself as an expert in the niche. Then after your highly trusted and respected on the forum you can start offering your services. People buy from who they trust. So if they already trust you then you are half the way there.

Influencer marketing

Gonna need some cashflow for this one but it works. People are very likely to buy if they’ve been referred by a friend. Online influencers are like friends to their fans, they trust them. So what you can do is pay these people to endorse your product to their audience. You need to find influencers in your niche of course like youtubers etc. A good example would be if your selling marketing services, you could pay someone on a business channel to talk about how great your product is for start-ups. Wouldn’t recommend this method until you’ve succeeded with the other methods though as it requires risking cash.

Any more methods people can think of?

On a side note: Why are there so many digital marketers on here asking for advice on promoting their gig lol. If you are a digital marketing expert then surely you should be able to market it yourself. I’d really question your skills.

• Like 64

• 2 months later...

I observed, There are two types of people who always say,
(1) Promote your gig on social media, promote your gig on social media, and says many times.
Then
(2) Conversely, other people are saying, social media gigs link sharing is not good at all. Because of your social media members, not your potential customers. If you have shared your gig link too much on Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook with hashtags. It's spamming. ☠️

So what do we do? How to get potential customers on social media? 🤔
Answer: 

It's true your social media account member, not your potential customer. And gigs sharing group, all big gigs marketing group, there are no buyers at all. Most of the members are sellers in this group and they share gigs regularly, but there are no clients or buyers, or potential customers. and remember one thing, fake impression and click don't give you order.

So, You have to do, If you have Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and other social media accounts, share skills-related advice, experience tips and tricks in your timeline, and share your work portfolio, and also share your identity what you do.  In that case, the customer must knock on your door and you should offer her your Fiverr account for working. That's it. 😊

Thanks, and please share your opinion. I love to learn more and more.

• Like 36
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/15/2021 at 8:27 AM, corsogr said:

Could those people explain to me how they guess that your social media members are not potential customers?

Personal social media members not our potential customer.

but main thing is gig link sharing not good at all, if you have potential customer in your social media account.

and I mentioned 'too much gig link sharing' word. 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:29 AM, monirthuin said:

Social Media Sharing always Fiverr wants 

I also said too much gig link sharing social media not good at all. it's spamming, that's my main point.

Edited by shaamim
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, shaamim said:

I observed, There are two types of people who always say,
(1) Promote your gig on social media, promote your gig on social media, and says many times.
Then
(2) Conversely, other people are saying, social media gigs link sharing is not good at all. Because of your social media members, not your potential customers. If you have shared your gig link too much on Twitter, Linkedin, Facebook with hashtags. It's spamming. ☠️

So what do we do? How to get potential customers on social media? 🤔
Answer: 

It's true your social media account member, not your potential customer. And gigs sharing group, all big gigs marketing group, there are no buyers at all. Most of the members are sellers in this group and they share gigs regularly, but there are no clients or buyers, or potential customers. and remember one thing, fake impression and click don't give you order.

So, You have to do, If you have Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and other social media accounts, share skills-related advice, experience tips and tricks in your timeline, and share your work portfolio, and also share your identity what you do.  In that case, the customer must knock on your door and you should offer her your Fiverr account for working. That's it. 😊

Thanks, and please share your opinion. I love to learn more and more.

Yes you are right. It is the parfect. problem  for a seller.

• Like 16
  • Confused 1

On 7/15/2021 at 9:02 AM, corsogr said:

Could you tell me exactly how do you know and you are so sure that my personal social media members aren't potential customers or that are not interested in my services or that they will not share/refer my services to someone from their social circles that is looking services I offer? Because it has happened to me several times.

Take as much time as you wish to counter this argument.

PS - Do you realize how amazingly weak argument uses someone when he/she suggests not sharing on social media? I'm not suggesting you spam non-stop. You may share without spamming 24/7 you know. Even Fiverr officially suggests that you share with every completed order or gig creation. 2021 are we still discussing this?

Your last sentences are correct and have logic.

But I said the article from that different perspective. If we have potential customer in our personal social media accounts then without link sharing we achieve our goals below quote like that way,

On 7/15/2021 at 8:23 AM, shaamim said:

If you have Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, and other social media accounts, share skills-related advice, experience tips and tricks in your timeline, and share your work portfolio, and also share your identity what you do.  In that case, the customer must knock on your door and you should offer her your Fiverr account for working

On 7/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, shafiqul77 said:

Yes you are right. It is the parfect. problem  for a seller.

Because we have better option, and It's professional way for every seller.

• Like 17

Just now, truecodez said:

Hey, You said social media member not our potential customer, so that how can i get customer if i share tricks and tips and skills bla blaaa.
even there isn't potential customer in my accounts.  

That's a good point. thank to notice. 

But gig link sharing better than share tricks and tips and skills bla bla blaaaaa.

• Like 14

On 7/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, corsogr said:

Could you tell me exactly how do you know and you are so sure that my personal social media members aren't potential customers or that are not interested in my services or that they will not share/refer my services to someone from their social circles that is looking services I offer?

I don't think anyone shared this opinion as a Sacred Truth. They're probably referring to their social medias, whose followers are not interested in buying services here (ie, if my followers are just family and friends, they're probably not interested in my services - and even if they were, it would be free for them). Of course this applies differently if you have many followers or various types of platforms (I believe LinkedIn or Twitter would be the ones with more "strangers" following you). 

• Like 15

On 7/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, corsogr said:

Could you tell me exactly how do you know and you are so sure that my personal social media members aren't potential customers or that are not interested in my services or that they will not share/refer my services to someone from their social circles that is looking services I offer? Because it has happened to me several times.

Take as much time as you wish to counter this argument.

PS - Do you realize how amazingly weak argument uses someone when he/she suggests not sharing on social media? I'm not suggesting you spam non-stop. You may share without spamming 24/7 you know. Even Fiverr officially suggests that you share with every completed order or gig creation. 2021 are we still discussing this?

I have friends that recommended me to people looking for what I offer, but they all contacted me directly. In my case, none of them were interested in creating a Fiverr account and paying a fee to get an order we could have directly discussed face to face.

It seems my experience is different from yours, and sharing on social media definitely could help you landing some customers, but if you're a newbie that has spelling mistakes all over your gigs and have unattractive gig videos/ images, you probably won't get new customers even by sharing on social media.

Most of the people that do share on social media, are usually sellers that still haven't received a single order yet, or have only a couple of reviews on their profiles. The majority of the experienced sellers on the forum say that sharing on social media is a waste of time compared to other things you could do in your free time, like optimizing your gigs and your skills, or even read books about business growth, etc.

You're actually the first person I meet on the forum that was able to land some orders through social media, and I'm happy for you, but I don't think social media promotion should be one of the first tips to give newbies, as it works only in particular cases.

• Like 15

• 2 months later...

First, Create a Twitter account tweet your gig.

If you don't have time to create content or don't have the patience/motivation, post tweets with links to informative and interesting articles related to your service.

Add an image to a tweet, it may be your gig image or any other image.

For example, you can post an image with an inspirational quote to get more attention from people. Craft good tweets with attractive images to entice people. This massively increases the chance that people will click on your link. I'd recommend using Canva for the images - it's free to use and you can create great graphics quickly.

Do not tweet the same thing repeatedly, people will lose interest.

Use Buffer to schedule tweets to your posts (or other articles) in advance, and keep them consistent and relevant. Throw a few tweets advertising your gig on Fiverr now and then - I'd suggest one advertisement every 7 or 8 tweets. Don't only self-promote through or people will unfollow you very quickly.

Post something new related to your gig.

Use hashtags related to your gig in your tweet.

Suppose someone looking for a freelance writer and if you have posted a tweet with a freelance writer, then your tweet will be displayed in his search result and he can go through your tweet. Follow people who would potentially buy your products. I recommend using Manage flitter to follow targeted accounts with keywords relating to your gig.

Some things to keep in mind are:

1. Don't overdo it. Tweeting & posting too many links can get you into trouble with Twitter.

2 . Talk about your business & the things you do and wait for responses, then give the link to your gig(s) or your Fiverr profile.

3. Be Sociable, don't just talk about business talk about things that make you happy or feel good. Share images and positive quotes.

4. When you make those who you socialize with feel good about themselves, they, in turn, feel good about you. That confidence in you will result in more sales.

If you need something else I will be happy to help you!

Edited by arifulayon1
  • Like 62
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

• arifulayon1 changed the title to How to promote Fiverr Gig in Twitter
  • 4 months later...

It's usually very nerve-racking when you want to gain visibility in the marketplace but you don't seem to get any. In your desperation, you decide to promote your gigs in any way or every way possible. Many sellers go the extra mile in promoting their gigs the wrong way. While Fiverr encourages sellers to share and promote their gigs, it should be done so carefully and in accordance with their guidelines, either by using their promoted gigs option or sharing through legitimate sites.

This is why you should be careful how you promote your gigs

Some sellers especially the newbies often go on Instagram, Telegram, Facebook groups, or other social sites to do gig favorite exchanges or all the likes. The problem with this is that every time someone clicks on your link and lands on your profile, the Fiverr algorithm calculates that as "One Click". This means you will mostly be getting clicks from low-quality traffic which don't convert into sales.

As a result of this, your total conversion rate (Visitors you convert into buyers) will be extremely low which in turn will significantly harm your profile instead of helping it. Getting high numbers of impressions or clicks are useless if they don't convert into sales. This doesn't mean you can't promote or shouldn't promote your gigs. it only means do it the right way or allow Fiverr to do it organically. There are no hacks to this thing.

Secondly, gig favorites don't help your gig boost in terms of visibility. Gig favorites are simply bookmarks that help you SAVE the services you want to buy. But it doesn't help you boost your gig's visibility. 

• Like 249
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 9
  • Thanks 30

On 2/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, briannx said:

As a result of this, your total conversion rate (Visitors you convert into buyers) will be extremely low which in turn will significantly harm your profile instead of helping it.

This is such an important point few seem to grasp.  I don't know if it is because people don't have real-world business experience, or don't bother to think about how their business platform works.  I have no knowledge of Fiverr's formulas, beyond what we all know, but it isn't that hard to do the decision tree for who they want to promote.  Imagine two sellers selling the same service for $100

Seller 1 (poor marketing):  10,000 impressions per day, 10 clicks per day, .01 sales per day = $1 in sales per day = $0.20 per day revenue for Fiverr

Seller 2(quality marketing): 1,000 impressions per day, 75 clicks per day, 1.2 sales per day = $120 in sales per day = $24 per day revenue for Fiverr

If I'm running the business, I go with seller 2 all day long.  There is a reason Fiverr posts your stats; it gives you extremely valuable information on what you may need to tweak. 

• Like 206
  • Up 6
  • Thanks 11

2 hours ago, cs_evans said:

This is such an important point few seem to grasp.  I don't know if it is because people don't have real-world business experience, or don't bother to think about how their business platform works.  I have no knowledge of Fiverr's formulas, beyond what we all know, but it isn't that hard to do the decision tree for who they want to promote.  Imagine two sellers selling the same service for $100

Seller 1 (poor marketing):  10,000 impressions per day, 10 clicks per day, .01 sales per day = $1 in sales per day = $0.20 per day revenue for Fiverr

Seller 2(quality marketing): 1,000 impressions per day, 75 clicks per day, 1.2 sales per day = $120 in sales per day = $24 per day revenue for Fiverr

If I'm running the business, I go with seller 2 all day long.  There is a reason Fiverr posts your stats; it gives you extremely valuable information on what you may need to tweek. 

That's very correct. And apart from that, it's not just about marketing but it's also about having their gigs captivating enough to actually turn visitors into buyers. Most people don't realize that Fiverr is primarily a business and so they focus more on impressions and "ranking" than actually providing the service they are called to provide. Good points from you.

• Like 120
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, gaphicslord said:

So how can I promote my gigs to get sales?

The best way to promote your gig is by having good gig descriptions to reduce bounce-off rates and increase conversion rates. Once you deliver orders and get good ratings, promotion works organically 🙂

• Like 114
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 7

I am not really against gig marketing, though it is true that impressions, clicks, favs without order is downgrading, but it is ok for a while as we are doling that to get attention of the sellers.

there are lots of gigs with good SEO, good title of description or image, but they still don't get orders. in that case I think it is ok for a while todo gig marketing.

if it brings you clients, why not?

• Like 96
  • Thanks 4

Social media marketing skills are one of THE most-wanted skills in 2022 and beyond. There comes a period when your Fiverr selling becomes way too low. This is because Fiverr wants you to spread the word. They want you to promote your service on Social Media.

This can be done by simply sharing it on your account. A better way would be to join groups about your niche and share it there. You can also help people anywhere online, and if they want to pay you to give them your Fiverr Gig URL so they can place an order.

• Like 38

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this valuable information! It really opens another view angle! However I think it would be beneficial to describe what means 'promoting gig the right way'? We are talking here about people that struggle to get impressions or any clicks at all and it was suggested to them to promote their gigs on social media. So what is the best way to do it? Any bold advice? Sellers with 10,000 impressions might still need help with low-conversion but for large group of sellers with no orders this is a life saver. Thanks again! 

• Like 88
  • Thanks 5