Calling on the artists here!~ Would love to see what you've got to show.

sesoru

7 hours ago, luisa_sa said:

Yes, exactly! I've been told that realistic and hyperrealistic portraits are somewhat 'pointless' because a photo does the same work, so by giving them an half-finished look I want to demonstrate that they aren't pointless at all!

I always hated how people, especially school professors and stuff, will try and say 'only x is art'. Like... Bruh? Lol. I always see all this beautiful artworks from folks that get denied because of technicalities and it's just... upsetting honestly. I don't really understand it. I'd love to see your other stuff that is more realistic/hyper realistic if you're willing to share.

I have reached my post limit so I will reply to angelicshiba when it's gone ❤️

Edited by sesoru
  • Like 28
  • Up 1

17 hours ago, angelicshiba said:

This is what i draw!

These are both super cute. I really love the way you do the details on the lines, and I love how you mix the softer shading with the harder shading. They looked like they were fun for you.

• Like 26
  • Up 1

16 hours ago, sesoru said:

I always hated how people, especially school professors and stuff, will try and say 'only x is art'. Like... Bruh? Lol. I always see all this beautiful artworks from folks that get denied because of technicalities and it's just... upsetting honestly. I don't really understand it. I'd love to see your other stuff that is more realistic/hyper realistic if you're willing to share.

This is the best that I can offer, I'm afraid, because at the moment I don't have paper sheets big enough to go seriously hyper realistic like Juliane Berge, who's an amazing Norwegian artist.

• Like 28
  • Up 1

On 3/7/2022 at 6:45 AM, andreashuffing said:

I listened to all of these! All of them sounded pretty cool. Definitely the kind of music I could throw on and get some work done to. 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:14 AM, foxxys_ said:

Aww, these are really cute! I especially love the kitsune girl that you posted first. Her hair and ears are so fricken cute aaah.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:56 AM, musicwriting said:

Wow so you do the drums IRL yourself to record them? That's really cool. I love the way this sounds - it feels laid back but with a purpose. 

18 hours ago, wangyuanji66 said:

Haha, I have a friend who calls people Besty. It's really cute =w= Good feels, good feels. Your art is really lovely though. I actually found your twitter and followed it so I hope that's okay ❤️

Thank you everyone for sharing your stuff! I really enjoyed looking at and hearing all of it, and I hope those others here also enjoyed everything so far. It makes me so happy knowing lots of folks are posting here to share or to observe. Yay!

• Like 30
  • Up 1

I'm not sure if there are people still checking out this thread, but since I'm seeing the usual spam-ish posts increasing again, I'm just gonna add my newest creation here to distract myself from them.
I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with Studio Ghibli and the wonderful world of Hayao Miyazaki.
I love Totoro, I grew up with it, and I don't care how old I get, I will always love that creature with the dead fish eyes.

A few months ago I was shopping and passed this Studio Ghibli shop. At the entrance was this thing called "noren," basically it's like a piece of cloth. I guess I can call it a Japanese style curtain??
Anyway, on the noren was Totoro. First I thought hey, that looks cute, but then I thought hey...that's pretty wide...and long...maybe I can cut that thing apart and make a kimono...?

I went home, did some sketches, made sure I planned everything out, then I went online and bought 3 pieces of the noren curtains. BTW it took me FOREVER!!! to decide because there were about 12 designs and all of them were so darn cute.

I started sewing, and 13 hours later I was done. Me is very happy.

totoki1.jpg

totoki2.jpg

• Like 30

1 hour ago, zeus777 said:

I sure hope people are still checking this thread! I haven't admittedly had much time to peruse other threads lately but if what you say is true, that's a shame. I am glad this thread is one you can (hopefully comfortably) come back to. 

I LOVE all things Miyazaki/Ghibli. I admittedly wasn't as fond of the movie for Totoro as I was of some of the other stuff, but I always LOVED the designs. It's always so charming! And ugh, I LOVE your kimono and this pattern here. This was definitely an amazing idea on your part. I adore that you saw a kimono in this curtain, and I think if the material could have emotion it would be happy it got turned into something so freaking cute. Will you be doing more of these with the other designs you created? I am very interested in seeing them if you do!

Are you self taught by the way on these? And do you do the stuff by hand? Sorry if you mentioned it before, I have a bad memory admittedly but I think it's really cool either way. I have no skill with any sort of sewing stuff but your stuff to me looks very clean. I especially like the sewing at the hem of the sleeves, it is very elegant.

• Like 25
  • Congrats! 1

5 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I'm not sure if there are people still checking out this thread, but since I'm seeing the usual spam-ish posts increasing again, I'm just gonna add my newest creation here to distract myself from them.
I'm sure a lot of people are familiar with Studio Ghibli and the wonderful world of Hayao Miyazaki.
I love Totoro, I grew up with it, and I don't care how old I get, I will always love that creature with the dead fish eyes.

A few months ago I was shopping and passed this Studio Ghibli shop. At the entrance was this thing called "noren," basically it's like a piece of cloth. I guess I can call it a Japanese style curtain??
Anyway, on the noren was Totoro. First I thought hey, that looks cute, but then I thought hey...that's pretty wide...and long...maybe I can cut that thing apart and make a kimono...?

I went home, did some sketches, made sure I planned everything out, then I went online and bought 3 pieces of the noren curtains. BTW it took me FOREVER!!! to decide because there were about 12 designs and all of them were so darn cute.

I started sewing, and 13 hours later I was done. Me is very happy.

totoki1.jpg

totoki2.jpg

@zeus777 I'm urging  you to make a gig about sewing kimono as the world (me) need it! 

spacer.png

Anyway, I'm checking the thread from time to time, feeling ashamed of my contribution and scrolling in awe 

• Like 24
  • Congrats! 1

4 hours ago, sesoru said:

Are you self taught by the way on these?

Actually I came across this youtube tutorial, and it's SO easy to follow!! I believe the Youtuber is Japanese, but her instructions are...well, veeeery simply so anyone can follow it. In my case I took some leftover fabric scraps that were laying around and made a half-size kimono as a practice first, and after that I went full size.
The curtain fabric is synthetic material and some areas were SO DARN hard to sew, the stitches are crooked in some areas but since I made sure the thread/fabric colors match up, the crookedness isn't that visible.
Now that I know am capable of doing this, I can see myself sewing more kimonos in the future for sure.
In fact I'm thinking of making one using Halloween pattern fabric. I now, it's way too early to think about Halloween, but nothing wrong with getting started early!  😄

32 minutes ago, alphagev said:

I'm urging  you to make a gig about sewing kimono

Hahaha, hmmmmmm.....I can charge hundreds of dollars, muwahahahahahaha.

Jokes aside, here's the tutorial if anyone is interested. It took me over 10 hours for me to sew it by hand, but I'm sure you can finish this in less than 5 hours if you use the sewing machine.

And oh, if you have a cat (or any pet) at home, the part where you cut the patterns will take a very long time since they keep sitting on the fabric!

• Like 27
  • Congrats! 1

22 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

57 minutes ago, alphagev said:

Agreed if you made a gig for it you'd make bank haha. And honestly? Hundreds sounds right. I've seen videos before actually on the art of kimono making and holy shiii-- the amount of details that went into the old fashioned ones, those things would take days and days with several experts working on it at once. It's amazing that such things can now be made in hours o_o I definitely think though that hundreds is a good start since I've seen others selling similar services for hundreds with ease, even beginners. Never sell yourself short.

Thanks for sharing the video! And hah, yea cats can be such cute little pains. I have two, actually 🙂

• Like 27
  • Congrats! 1

8 minutes ago, alphagev said:

Getting ready for 168 hours of work

Pfff hahaha. My cats thankfully learned long ago that my desk space is not their play space. They used to climb up on it and walk all over my art supplies but that was a hard no. After I picked them up and put them down several times they eventually got the idea xD

• Like 26
  • Congrats! 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 10:10 PM, zeus777 said:

Pfff ahaha. I dunno, I guess I got lucky? It is very rare when they try to get on my desk now even if I don't mind them up there xD And omg your baby is so cute!~ thank you for sharing ❤️

On 3/16/2022 at 5:06 AM, zkorejo said:

Wow this looks great! What did you use to create it?

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1