Knowledge tools. Basics: The Twelve Principles of Animation

imagination7413

I'm a fan of animation: Cartoon, anime, flipbooks, stop motion, 8-bit game sprites, even 3D. (Actually, especially the 3D that's used in live-action film like MCU.) The illusion of motion is a fascinating topic, and it's incredible to look past the surface illusion into the still frames and basics of how the frames work together. 

Most animators know and utilize the 12 foundational basics, even if beginners might not know the terminology. (Squash and Stretch, Anticipation, Staging, Straight Ahead/Pose to Pose, Follow Through & Overlapping Action, Slow In & Slow Out, Arcs, Secondary Action, Timing, Exaggeration, Solid Drawing, and Appeal.) This is Fiverr, though, and there are enough beginners out there that may not know them all, so I decided to share a few of my favorite videos and play lists on the topic.

Great videos all around! The 12 principles is the most important things animators of any medium should understand 🙂 

Beyond that the books "The Animator's Survival Guide" and "The Illusion of Life" are great reading materials and the two so called "animation bibles" when it comes to learning and understanding the craft! 

Archived