Would you design an NFT?

lenasemenkova

I have a brief for a potential new project in my inbox. It looks like it’s for a set of NFTs.

I don’t have a strong “political” opinion about them one way or the other. But if a piece I’ve designed for $100 sells for $1000 somewhere, I’d prefer not to know it, probably. That'd be heartbreaking. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, lenasemenkova said:

I have a brief for a potential new project in my inbox. It looks like it’s for a set of NFTs.

I don’t have a strong “political” opinion about them one way or the other. But if a piece I’ve designed for $100 sells for $1000 somewhere, I’d prefer not to know it, probably. That'd be heartbreaking. 

Well this is a new vertical in the market and a trend in the world, I work with design for websites and I'm receiving more and more projects relationed to NFT, so can be an opportunity for you earn in this category.

Of course I don't create NFT arts, but at the same time that someone can hire you for $100 and sell for $1000 the opposite can happen too, where your buyer probably will sell nothing.

• Like 13
  • Up 3

I do have a strong opinion, same about some other, similar things, but that would lead too far and is besides the point anyway.

Since you don't have a strong opinion, my thought would be, is there a way for you to soften the potential hurt you think you'll feel? Can you have your initials in any of your works that will or might be sold as NFTs, and selling terms that say you must be recognised as the artist, and keep an eye on the ones you think might actually gain in worth considerably? And then, if it sells for $1000, ask for $500 instead of $100 next time, pointing at the $1000 one?

It's all gambling, created for the purpose of gambling. 

• Like 14
  • Up 4

If you found they sold at the 10x the price somewhere else you could also try creating and selling new ones off-site (ones where you'd own all the rights), eg. at the place where they sold for 10x more. You could keep creating ones for Fiverr too, and like was suggested, you could increase your prices if they normally sold for lots more.

• Like 15

2 hours ago, miiila said:

Agreed. But as it was stated above, nothing guarantees they make money on the NFTs they buy. While you as a seller can earn money by designing for them. 

I am a writer and not a designer myself. But even so, I receive requests for all kinds of NFT content writing too. So yeah, it's in high demand.

• Like 11
  • Up 2

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

Agreed. But as it was stated above, nothing guarantees they make money on the NFTs they buy.

Yes, my closing comment was referring to both gambling by buying NFTs in the hope to make money, and to Lena's option to gamble along. Nothing guarantees that she'll get the NFT job if she demands to have her initials in the NFT and being recognized as the artist, and/or if she asks for $500.

As in, "The game, Miss Semenkova, is on." 😉 Which was a reference to both SH, and a Police song. A reference in a reference, a game in a game. 

3 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

While you as a seller can earn money by designing for them. 

Of course. If there's a gold rush, sell shovels.

🙂

Edited by miiila
  • Like 13

11 hours ago, mateusbl said:

where your buyer probably will sell nothing

Oh, absolutely. But imagine stumbling across the news of your work being sold for thousands. I’d punch a wall a couple of times for sure. 🙂

9 hours ago, donnovan86 said:

So yeah, it's in high demand.

Didn’t NFT become a thing right before covid (or right after)? At some point, I started getting calls with people ranting and raving about how we should get into this thing and become unimaginably rich. Then it  just stopped. I figured it was a fad that died already but it seems to be still going and only picking up speed. 

11 hours ago, miiila said:

I think I have a problem with the culture surrounding NFTs more than NFTs as a concept. It has this child entrepreneur vibe startup culture used to have. 

Astronomical budgets getting thrown around until they run out while people who are doing most of the work remain ridiculously underpaid. That kind of thing. I didn’t enjoy partaking then and I doubt I’d enjoy it now. 

you could increase your prices if they normally sold for lots more.

Can you imagine adding a $400 NFT extra to all the gigs? That'd be the move. 🙂

PS Turns out, fiverr has separate NFT design/art category. 

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 10
  • Up 3

13 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

But if a piece I’ve designed for $100 sells for $1000 somewhere, I’d prefer not to know it, probably. That'd be heartbreaking. 

Why? I don't get it, that's the entire point behind buying services. All my clients, specially companies, but also youtubers, etc. expect to make more than they pay for my work. That's the idea. Same as with NFTs, some may make it, some may not, they are the ones taking the risk, I'm the one getting a fixed payment that I set and agree with. If they can then make a 10000% profit on that, good for them, bad for me for not setting my price higher in the first place. It's all business.

• Like 10
  • Up 2

10 minutes ago, visualstudios said:

Why? I don't get it, that's the entire point behind buying services. All my clients, specially companies, but also youtubers, etc. expect to make more than they pay for my work. That's the idea. Same as with NFTs, some may make it, some may not, they are the ones taking the risk, I'm the one getting a fixed payment that I set and agree with. If they can then make a 10000% profit on that, good for them, bad for me for not setting my price higher in the first place. It's all business.

I draw the line at resellers of all sorts, tbh. On Fiverr at least, when I can help it. Resellers claiming authorship versus ownership especially. As to a logical why, don’t know. You can call it a trauma from my ad agency unpaid intern days. 🙂

• Like 7

5 hours ago, lenasemenkova said:

I draw the line at resellers of all sorts, tbh. On Fiverr at least, when I can help it.

I am with @visualstudios on this one.  Why does it matter?  I sell my voice overs for what my market will bear, knowing full well they are going to be used elsewhere, and often to generate many X the amount I charged for it.  That doesn't diminish the work I did.  I have created, and am creating, the market for my voice.  If someone else can generate a new market on something I have licensed to them, more power to them.

With that said, I am not without sympathy.  If my VO that I did for $125 showed up on a Ford Motors national commercial, I'm sure I would have a twinge or three in the bank account portion of my brain.  But I would like to think I would toast it, forward it to all my buddies, and sure as heck put it at the top of my resume. 

• Like 10

TBH, the whole deal of NFTs is kinda stupid to me. Like, why would I want to buy an image which anyone in the world can freely use? NFTs and crypto just feels extremely stupid (that's just my personal opinion and you can feel differently), but yes, I agree with @visualstudios, the buyer is taking a risk on the NFT and he could sell it for $1000, but most of the time, it's a losing gamble. If he does sell it for a high price, well, good for them! In the end, if one out of 10 people are getting a profit, you shouldn't be worried that your design sold for a lot, but that you didn't have to take the loss of $900 for the other failed NFTs.

• Like 10

frank_d
This post was recognized by frank_d!

visualstudios was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 15 points.

Also, just to add, there's no such thing as "designing an NFT". You can design an image, you can make a song or a video, or a 3D model or whatever. Anything can be turned into an NFT, and your design is unrelated to it. I can hire anyone to design something for me and then turn that into an NFT myself. So the work you're doing (and getting paid for) has absolutely nothing to do with the concept of NFT's at all.

So your question makes no sense, really. You design posters, fliers, etc. Designing "NFT's" is meaningless. NFTs are not an art form, they are a certificate of property. An NFT is a token, it's not the artwork itself. The only real "NFT designers" are the ones that created the blockchain that enables them. So, programmers, pretty much. Saying "design me an NFT" is like saying "design me a property deed", or "design me a concert ticket" (not visually, but the access it gives me to the concert itself). It's absurd. I can design a car, I can't design the car legal papers that prove the car is mine.

What you design are .jpegs (or whatever other format), if they are registered as NFT's later or not is not relevant. I don't even understand why buyers feel the need to mention it, I can easily go and buy 100 jpegs with slight variations from some seller just by asking for them, and never mention NFT's at all. So, in practice, any designer can do work that the buyer, once they own the copyright, will turn into an NFT if they wish, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 9
  • Up 3

4 hours ago, visualstudios said:

Also, just to add, there's no such thing as "designing an NFT".

“Would you create an image that you know for sure is being commissioned to be turned into/actioned or sold as an NFT collectible (successfully or not)?” sounded like an awfully long topic post. There is a separate design category for NFTs on fiverr as well. Brings the point across.

Edited by lenasemenkova
  • Like 7

Personally, I'd take the money and run. I'd be more confused than upset, and then intrigued, if someone managed to successfully flip something I'd made. The supply of NFTs is nearly limitless, and the demand is nearly non-existent. At my day job I'm testing an MMORPG with random loot drops. Every sword and shield is an NFT, so it's churning out hundreds every hour automatically. If someone manages to sell something out of that pile for thousands of bucks I would want to know more about the buyer and their motivation. Basically, the guy buying the NFT from you, and then doing the footwork to sell it, would be doing some market research for you. You might be able to leverage promotion of that successful sale as a sort of 'work reference' into buyer confidence to sell some on your own and take the full cut.

• Like 8

• 3 months later...