Disallow Download Feature on Source File before Accepting Order

ju1design

• 2 months later...

I haven't had an issue with this, is this something that happens quite regularly? I'm sure if you messaged the buyer and told him once it's marked as delivered I'll provide the source file. I can't imagine a legit buyer having an issue with it.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 2:03 AM, dereck_s said:

I haven't had an issue with this, is this something that happens quite regularly? I'm sure if you messaged the buyer and told him once it's marked as delivered I'll provide the source file. I can't imagine a legit buyer having an issue with it.

This is absolutely against TOS and you might even get a warning plus the buyer entitled to cancel the job for incomplete delivery!!!! It's the worst you could do! 

If your gig has the option "source file" you are required to deliver it, indeed in the delivery page there are 2 boxes one to upload work and one for source file. 

The solution is to remove completely "source file" as an option from your gigs and make a note in your gig description that you can provide it with an additional cost. If the client wants it, then you make an additional custom offer just for the source file after the delivery is accepted and completed! 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roxana_nesfintu said:

This is absolutely against TOS and you might even get a warning plus the buyer entitled to cancel the job for incomplete delivery!!!! It's the worst you could do! 

If your gig has the option "source file" you are required to deliver it, indeed in the delivery page there are 2 boxes one to upload work and one for source file. 

The solution is to remove completely "source file" as an option from your gigs and make a note in your gig description that you can provide it with an additional cost. If the client wants it, then you make an additional custom offer just for the source file after the delivery is accepted and completed! 🤷🏼‍♀️

So in this scenario the buyer is downloading the source file and then trying to cancel the order right? I don't think I've ever had this happen to me. Especially since I don't deliver an order until I get the okay from the customer that he doesn't need changes. 

• Like 1

If that comes with an option like you will deliver the attachments but Fiverr will allow the buyer to download it only after approving the order that will be awesome. 

But you will never face issues if you try not delivering the order until buyer gets fully satisfied and get a confirmation from the buyer before you deliver everything. Just make sure buyer likes the final work and then deliver the work with everything including source file. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey! I've been a Fiverr seller for a while now and work mostly in the field of motion graphics. I always offer the source file as an extra on my gigs. Generally this will be an after effects project file, but could also be a psd or ai file. 

Recently I delivered a source file as part of an order only to discover that the customer was able to download and access the full after effects project file before completing the order. I found this massively concerning as they could easily have just cancelled the order and kept my work. 

I contacted customer support regarding this in which they just said that they put a watermark on images and videos (which are not source files and had nothing to do with anything) but they don't do anything for project files. That was it. That was all they said. 

This is a huge issue.

I wanted to make this post to raise awareness to other sellers to be extremely careful with source files as Fiverr does nothing at all to protect your work. Also if someone could point me in the direction of someone at Fiverr who could address this issue as something needs to be done asap. 

• Like 19
  • Up 2

Hello

I am wondering why are you worried about it because like you said source file was a part of order and you delivered it. Well if it was a part of an order so you definitely will have to submit the source files. And Fiverr cannot do anything about the source files as it's a part of your order. Whenever you will send a source file, buyer will be able to download and see everything in the source file.

Deliver the source files only if it's a part of your order else don't..

• Like 14
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smartdezigns said:

You didint get it. 

Buyer is able to download the source file before accpeting the order. Whether its the part of the order or not.

1 hour ago, quiffledesign said:

This is a huge issue.

Agreed. Only thing you can do is that you can say that you will send the source file after the order's completion. Which now they have to compromise. And not a good look.

I hear you. But not much to do. Imagine doing a non-visual work. What do you do when you deliver some excel files? Its not a problem only for us.

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 8
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi!

I just work with illustrations so theres no way the buyer can access a source file unless I send it to them. How could they access your original AE files if you sent them just the rendered video? or you send like a project compressed file of sorts?

• Like 12

1 hour ago, shalock said:

Hi!

I just work with illustrations so theres no way the buyer can access a source file unless I send it to them. How could they access your original AE files if you sent them just the rendered video? or you send like a project compressed file of sorts?

Source files can be part of the order requirements. If delivering the source file is part of the order then you have to deliver it. Fiverr will actually not allow you to deliver without a source file if it is part of the requirements. 

Screenshot 2022-10-17 154930.png

• Like 10

2 hours ago, ozan_erdi said:

You didint get it. 

Buyer is able to download the source file before accpeting the order. Whether its the part of the order or not.

I understood it actually. But its from the start that buyers have an access to the source files before accepting the delivery. Its nothing new!! 

So you people thought that buyers will be able to have an access to source files Only after accepting the delivery then you people misunderstood it wrong I think!

Whenever or whatever you will send to buyer, he will be able to see and have an access to files (if its source files) before buyer accepts the delivery!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, quiffledesign said:

Source files can be part of the order requirements

I understand that, because I've delivery lots of source files in my orders, what I did not understood is that it was once the delivery is done, I thought it was while working on the order.

15 minutes ago, smartdezigns said:

But its from the start that buyers have an access to the source files before accepting the delivery. Its nothing new!! 

This! Exactly how it works, I understand your concern but thats part of the risk of freelancing in Fiverr, the buyer have access to the files before accepting the delivery and if its a dishonest buyer could trick you, although it can happen not just with source files but with anything that has not the watermark.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, shalock said:

I understand your concern but thats part of the risk of freelancing in Fiverr, the buyer have access to the files before accepting the delivery and if its a dishonest buyer could trick you, although it can happen not just with source files but with anything that has not the watermark.

Exactly. The reason that I brought this here was to highlight this incredible lack of protection with source files. This is not a risk that any freelancer should be taking ever. Completely giving over your work with only the hope that the buyer will be honest is just crazy. I don't know who buyers are or what they're like so my work needs to be protected. I came here to warn sellers and hopefully so people can brings this to Fiverr also. 

It's a massive oversight in security and intellectual property. Fiverr does not require any real info from buyers which means if they did steal your work, there would be almost no way to prove it. 

The solution would be pretty simple too. Just do not allow for source files to be downloaded until after the order is completed. If there were any issues at that point it would be far easier for the buyer to prove that the seller has not provided the correct file than it would be for the seller to prove that the buyer has downloaded and used their work. 

• Like 9
  • Up 1

16 minutes ago, quiffledesign said:

The solution would be pretty simple too

Totally agree with you, there should be an upload button just for the source files that its realeased once the buyer accepts the delivery.

Maybe we should make a post here:

https://community.fiverr.com/forums/forum/11-product-feedback/

And express our concern to see if they take note of it.

• Like 8
  • Up 3

• 7 months later...

make it watermarked yourself. and after approving delivery resubmit the files without watermark. for ae files dont include image or video source not in the same folder. after they complete the delivery then resubmit again. and say that they should use the remodified version unless they ask for it. 

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hello friends,
After 5 years, there is a problem for me that I have just noticed and I am sure many people will see it as a "problem".
Let's talk about it, if you are selling a graphic design item, customers probably want the source file from you, or you already have such a service and you are delivering your source file when you deliver the files. The problem starts after this time, fiverr covers the graphic elements you send with Watermark (fiverr logo) so that buyers can't access the original files until they confirm the order, but fiverr allows the customers to download the source file with full access, which is unbelievable.
I tried to get help from fiverr about this issue, but the answer of fiverr help official did not satisfy me. she said briefly: ''Please be aware that in the act of any cancelation, the user is not allowed to use any aspect of the order that you have created unless paid for per our Terms of Service. ''
yes, it's true, everyone has to comply with these conditions, but either if the person uses the graphic item for personal purposes only, or he may think that the sanctions related to this issue will not work in his country and therefore he can abuse this issue. How logical does this sound to you? You definitely come across it once a week on Fiverr. It is full of scammers who send t.legram links and say that they can do business there. I think as a community we need to stay on top of this issue and find a different solution to it. It seems to me that the customer should not be able to access the source file without confirming the order on delivery.

Sorry if I took your time, best regards.

• Like 4

I put my own watermark on my work, if they are satisfied with my work, and they accept to finalize the order, they get the final work without my watermark, its a extreme method, but im tired working for scammers for free who cancel the order after receiving the order and wanting a revision.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, necramedia said:

I put my own watermark on my work, if they are satisfied with my work, and they accept to finalize the order, they get the final work without my watermark, its a extreme method, but im tired working for scammers for free who cancel the order after receiving the order and wanting a revision.

This is not a solution, the abuser can say that after he liked it, he changed his mind and met with a better buyer (it happened), so anyone who wants to abuse can do it because the delivery system is bad in my opinion.

• Like 4

Hello, I am also suffering from this problem and we have expressed this in 2-3 places in the forum, I think we should say this often, because this system should change. The buyer must not have access to the resource file before confirming the order.

Edited by artbrahim
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 5:11 PM, smartdezigns said:

Hello

I am wondering why are you worried about it because like you said source file was a part of order and you delivered it. Well if it was a part of an order so you definitely will have to submit the source files. And Fiverr cannot do anything about the source files as it's a part of your order. Whenever you will send a source file, buyer will be able to download and see everything in the source file.

The main concern is after receiving the source file, the buyer download the source file before accepting the delivery and then cancelled the order.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the sentiment, as a large proportion of my work is motion graphics that include source files. I guess I have two ways I’d play devil’s advocate here.

1. If the source files are part of the delivery you need to deliver them and make them accessible, otherwise you haven’t delivered what you promised and the client cannot verify that they’re correct.

2. This whole process can’t work without an element of trust. Most of my orders contain source files and this has never been an issue. If you’re this worried about this, it might be the calibre of clients that’s the issue. it might be time to raise your prices and try and elevate your service beyond the kind of buyers that you’re concerned about. Or… maybe invest in seller plus so you can speak to clients before they can order and you can build that trust ahead of time.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally, someone has brought up this issue. I have been experiencing the same unease for a long time. As an illustrator, I feel greatly disturbed by Fiverr's policies that seem to neglect the concerns of sellers and overly favor buyers. It's not just that, I hope there will be restrictions on revisions in accordance with the number of revisions provided. What's the use of granting three revision opportunities if clients can freely request revisions endlessly without any limits?

Edited by mf_digitalart
  • Like 2

As an illustrator, I am deeply troubled by the buyer's ability to freely download the source file before the order is completed. They can even cancel the order, yet still obtain the design they want because they have already downloaded the source file. Fiverr should ideally prohibit or disable the download button for the source file until the order is finalized.

• Like 3