Fiverr should stop charging 20% fees on tips!!

Guest rahulnath2316

Guest rahulnath2316

I don't know why fiverr is charging fees on tips? When someone purchased your gig, then it's ok to charge on that since we're using there platform. But when the buyer giving you a tip then they shouldn't charge on that, because seller earned it with there skill not because of the platform. 

If you're reading it then let me know what you think. 

5 minutes ago, rahulnath2316 said:

This has been discussed many times in the forum, you might to continue the conversation in the threads already made about this. A lot of points have been discussed there as well.

• Like 29
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest rahulnath2316
11 minutes ago, theratypist said:

This has been discussed many times in the forum, you might to continue the conversation in the threads already made about this. A lot of points have been discussed there as well.

Thank you for letting me know, actually I didn't knew about this. Recently I was just checking the payment and saw that they're charging on tips also. Felt bad about it, so made a post on it. 

43 minutes ago, rahulnath2316 said:

But when the buyer giving you a tip then they shouldn't charge on that,

I completely disagree.  You wouldn't even be able to get that tip if Fiverr didn't create the platform and spend millions and millions promoting and supporting it.  Essentially you are saying Fiverr should eat the cost of doing business.  They actually might be able to stop taking 20% of your tips if they charged 30% commission on your sales.  In either case, Fiverr has to have revenue to run the business you don't seem to care for. 

• Like 30
  • Confused 1

Guest rahulnath2316
7 minutes ago, cs_evans said:

I completely disagree.  You wouldn't even be able to get that tip if Fiverr didn't create the platform and spend millions and millions promoting and supporting it.  Essentially you are saying Fiverr should eat the cost of doing business.  They actually might be able to stop taking 20% of your tips if they charged 30% commission on your sales.  In either case, Fiverr has to have revenue to run the business you don't seem to care for. 

You've taken me wrong, I'm not saying that they shouldn't charge. They've all right to charge on the product which seller is selling but we can't include tip in it. Because it's the buyer who's willing giving that, because he liked the work. It's just my opinion, I do respect your view too. Thank you for the comment. 

1 minute ago, rahulnath2316 said:

You've taken me wrong, I'm not saying that they shouldn't charge. They've all right to charge on the product which seller is selling but we can't include tip in it. Because it's the buyer who's willing giving that, because he liked the work. It's just my opinion, I do respect your view too. Thank you for the comment. 

You want to say they must create a new option for tips and let the client send you the tips there if he like the work? 

• Like 22

Well, buyers and sellers aren't simpletons, you know. 

Let's say someone has to place an order to you worth 500$ and you both know fiverr wouldn't charge from your tips. How about the buyer places an order worth 50$ and gives you a tip of 450$?

We human beings, are shrewd you know, so as fiverr, xD.  

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, rabihumakhan said:

Let's say someone has to place an order to you worth 500$ and you both know fiverr wouldn't charge from your tips. How about the buyer places an order worth 50$ and gives you a tip of 450$?

And for the reason above Fiverr started charging a for a percentage of the tips.

• Like 22

58 minutes ago, leannelrivers said:

I can live with the 20% taken from my tips. What I do think is a bit of a cheek is charging the buyer yet another service fee for leaving a tip. 

Agree 100%.  In this case, I think Fiverr might actually generate more revenue by waiving the service fee.  As a Fiverr buyer, I generally tip anytime the service/product is acceptable, but in borderline cases I'm like "well.... is it worth giving a tip if I am going to get charged more on top of it....?"  I'm betting this use case is big enough for the FICO brain trust to spend some cycles on. 

• Like 22
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, rahulnath2316 said:

You've taken me wrong,

I have not taking you wrong.  My initial comment still stands.  You want the benefit of the platform, without paying for it.  You are saying because the buyer liked your work, and decided to award you for it, Fiverr should not take a percentage?  I posit that you would never have that opportunity to have that interaction with a buyer without the Fiverr platform, moreover, it is your obligation to give the buyer tremendous value.  That fact that they tip you is irrelevant. 

• Like 19

Guest rahulnath2316
13 hours ago, rabihumakhan said:

Didn't thought about it lol, this can be a valid reason for charging on tips. But i think it can be monitor, let's take your example if buyer paid $50 then while giving tip it shouldn't exceed the original payment amount. So tip can be limit to $50 or maybe 50% of the original amount that is $25.

I can live with 20%.

I'm paying .20 cents on the dollar to operate on a platform with many useful features and a lot of traffic. My experience with customer service has been good, and generally speaking, the few buyers I've had have been great.

It isn't perfect, but I'm happy. 

• Like 16
  • Up 1

This is why I don't use Fiverr as much as I used to.. .it's after a long time that I realized that Fiverr takes 20% from the seller's tips as well.. that is beside the service fee.. needless to say, I was taken aback.. It's my money after all that I chose to tip with.. would have wanted the service providers to keep 100% of the tipped value.. but well.. I am the one to blame for not realizing the existence of this practice sooner.. now I am happier since I mostly use other platforms.. as for the abuse, I believe that is already covered as @rachelbostwick once pointed out to me:

How much can I tip?

• The minimum amount is $5.
  • For orders below $25, the tip can be up to $25.
  • For orders above $25, the tip can be up to 100% of the price of the order.

Note: These limitations are in place to prevent fraud.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360049982453-How-do-I-tip-my-seller

• Like 16
  • Up 3

17 hours ago, cs_evans said:

Agree 100%.  In this case, I think Fiverr might actually generate more revenue by waiving the service fee.

That I agree with. The second service fee has kept me from tipping when I ordered small projects from other sellers. That's just silly. One service fee per order would be better. I'm angry about it, I just agree that people might see more tips that way. 

• Like 16

19 hours ago, rabihumakhan said:

Would you risk the chance of the buyer tipping you $450?

What if the buyer decides **NOT** to tip and closes the order. Then what? Are you going to complain to CS? 🤔

The seller is out $450 with no one to complain to and no way to recoup it.

Nope. I don't agree that's the reason for the 20%.

• Like 18

On 1/21/2022 at 10:04 AM, rahulnath2316 said:

I don't know why fiverr is charging fees on tips? When someone purchased your gig, then it's ok to charge on that since we're using there platform. But when the buyer giving you a tip then they shouldn't charge on that, because seller earned it with there skill not because of the platform. 

I also agree with you .. if someone gives tips what is there to charge. It is natural that this platform will help one another.

• Like 15

On 1/21/2022 at 11:34 AM, vickiespencer said:

And for the reason above Fiverr started charging a for a percentage of the tips.

But this is not true because the tip is given to the seller by the buyer himself who is happy with the work, here the seller himself suffers.

• Like 14

Basically, Fiverr takes 20% of your income.

Let's look at it another way. You pay taxes on ALL of your income, including the income you didn't expect to receive. In the same way, Fiverr takes 20% of all income. And that's fair, and Fiverr warns you about it - you agreed to the rules of the website when you signed up

By the way, other platforms takes much more from sellers, so thanks to Fiverr for the good cooperation conditions

• Like 17

On 1/23/2022 at 12:25 AM, rachelbostwick said:

I'm NOT angry about it.

It's bad for the "narrative" Rachel.. I liked it better without the NOT.. 😞 hmmm what do we do now.. 🤔

Okay I will assume that you messed up again and actually meant to type in "I'm NOW angry about it." 😁

• Like 15
  • Haha 1