How to recognize the fake client

fashioncad2021

Hi there @fashioncad2021

I am not 100% sure what you mean by “fake”, but here are some quick tips on how to assess any leads that come your way and establish project fit as quickly as possible:

Bring up money early in the conversation

Don’t message back and forth for days on end about what they need/want, without bringing up some sort of budgetary baseline. Whether it’s you clearly stating your flat rate or minimum engagement rate, or simply offering examples of past work with a price tag attached.

Listen closely to what they say, but lead the discussion 

Just because they are potentially a client, doesn’t mean they know what they are talking about. Listen closely and with purpose: you need to diagnose their problem before offering a solution. This takes practice and after a while you will have a set of questions that you will repeatedly ask, which is a great sign that you have got the diagnosing stage down pat.

Pay attention to potential red flags

If they dodge the money questions, if they need for you to provide samples, if they respond to your pricing with what other sellers have quoted them, these are all signs of a buyer who is shopping around and is not fully committed to working with you. My advice is to work on your gig’s positioning as much as possible so that people message you after they are already half-convinced you are the right person for the job.

I can write more about this topic but I think these are some quick tips that help you weed out the tire kickers.

I'd also add; trust your gut. If something feels off with the client, most of the time you'll be right. There were two times I ignored my gut feeling and continued the order, and I ended up with difficult clients. I still got great reviews but the stress wasn't worth it. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice the potential order and revenue, for your own good. 

18 hours ago, priyab468 said:

I'd also add; trust your gut. If something feels off with the client, most of the time you'll be right. There were two times I ignored my gut feeling and continued the order, and I ended up with difficult clients. I still got great reviews but the stress wasn't worth it. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice the potential order and revenue, for your own good. 

100%

Learning to trust your gut and say "no" early on will pay dividends well down the line. I made great progress a few years ago before burning out and deactivating my gigs. Now that I'm back, I have to start at the bottom again...and that's ok. I still have my Level One rating and a few good reviews under my belt.

I could have avoided this problem my trusting my gut and simply saying no to some very, very challenging buyers. I was intimidated to provide services out of scope for free. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, frank_d said:

Hi there @fashioncad2021

I am not 100% sure what you mean by “fake”, but here are some quick tips on how to assess any leads that come your way and establish project fit as quickly as possible:

Don’t message back and forth for days on end about what they need/want, without bringing up some sort of budgetary baseline. Whether it’s you clearly stating your flat rate or minimum engagement rate, or simply offering examples of past work with a price tag attached.

Just because they are potentially a client, doesn’t mean they know what they are talking about. Listen closely and with purpose: you need to diagnose their problem before offering a solution. This takes practice and after a while you will have a set of questions that you will repeatedly ask, which is a great sign that you have got the diagnosing stage down pat.

If they dodge the money questions, if they need for you to provide samples, if they respond to your pricing with what other sellers have quoted them, these are all signs of a buyer who is shopping around and is not fully committed to working with you. My advice is to work on your gig’s positioning as much as possible so that people message you after they are already half-convinced you are the right person for the job.

I can write more about this topic but I think these are some quick tips that help you weed out the tire kickers.

Great.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:06 AM, frank_d said:

Hi there @fashioncad2021

Honestly this is one of the most useful advice I've ever heard about freelancing in general, let alone selling on Fiverr. I appreciate that.

I'm interested in your "more about this", any chance there's more of it somewhere?

If they send me something like this:

Word count: 5000 words

Budget: $2

Keywords: XXXXX

Topic: XXXXX

Must pass copyscape, blah blah blah.

Most of the above are from other online content writing sites. 

This is the number one type of fake scamming clients I might get. Because the real client/writing site is "unhappy" with the work (because not all details are shared with me) so then there is a complete chargeback. Or, the middleman wants all the money to themselves so they accept payment from their client/writing site and do a chargeback with me. 

5 hours ago, markvideodesign said:

Honestly this is one of the most useful advice I've ever heard about freelancing in general, let alone selling on Fiverr. I appreciate that.

I'm interested in your "more about this", any chance there's more of it somewhere?

I’m glad you found it useful.

You can watch my YouTube streams and visit my forum profile to find more of my posts.

i am trying to post more articles this year.

This is a perfect example of what we are discussing, just came across this in the buyers requests, asking you to translate a document as an example, prior to making the order. 

"

waseemdagreat
English to Spanish translator I am looking for someone who is an expert in translation. English to Spanish Translator Required. I have a book with 300 pages. Note: - Firstly I need a demo for this you need to translate this page having 450 words. visit this link for demo: https://tinyurl.com/bdfvbc44 after completing this demo task send me translated page then we will proceed further. without a demo, task doesn't make request also do not inbox.

Archived