How to go about this? (Bad buyer)

l3unny

First off sorry if this is the wrong place , I'm new to the forums but I am at a loss for words. How can go about force-cancelling a buyer's order? I'm going to post the TLDR version:

The buyer wanted a game made. I told him it would be 120$ for regular service and 150$ for priority. He said that he couldn't pay all at once so I told him it wouldn't be a problem and let him do milestones instead. Before we even got down , i told him i required payment up front , especially if he wasn't going to pay in full. I set the first one up for today and he now says he refuses to pay it despite saying he would. He now won't pay until i complete 50% of the game. I've been trying to cancel it and he declines everytime. Honestly , this is unhinged. I told him i didn't want to work with him anymore and it would be more suitable if he found a developer who doesn't require payment up front. He refuses to back down. What should I do?

5 minutes ago, l3unny said:

i told him i required payment up front

Sorry, what do you mean?

The way Fiverr works is, buyers places the order and pays for it, and the seller can withdraw the money 2 weeks after the work is done and order marked as complete.

And if the buyer has placed the order, he did pay for the first milestone (and the funds are held by Fiverr until the milestone is successfully completed).

Anyway, if you wish to cancel the order, you will need to contact Customer Support. If I remember correctly, milestone orders (if you're using the milestone feature) can only be cancelled by Customer Support.

I've asked him to cancel the order 4 different times and he's declined each time as this is not suitable. I'm pretty sure he's trolling at this point as he is making things up and saying i never told him I had a pay first policy (which i did about 8 times before and after he made the order). He started being rude and telling me that I was wasting his time because I didn't start. I didn't start because he couldn't pay either amount. 

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

Sorry, what do you mean?

The way Fiverr works is, buyers places the order and pays for it, and the seller can withdraw the money 2 weeks after the work is done and order marked as complete.

And if the buyer has placed the order, he did pay for the first milestone (and the funds are held by Fiverr until the milestone is successfully completed).

Anyway, if you wish to cancel the order, you will need to contact Customer Support. If I remember correctly, milestone orders (if you're using the milestone feature) can only be cancelled by Customer Support.

1 hour ago, catwriter said:

Sorry, what do you mean?

After some calming down and talking , We ended up just redoing it. 

1 hour ago, l3unny said:

After some calming down and talking , We ended up just redoing it. 

You answered your own question as to why you can't just cancel an order on a whim.  Buyers can be horrible.  Assuming your side of the story is the accurate side of the story, this buyer sounds like one of the bad ones.  But what you just learned is that be approaching from a professional standpoint, many situations which seem untenable, can be worked out.  Fiverr doesn't make money when people cancel orders; they make money by creating a professional environment where people can come together. 

13 hours ago, l3unny said:

I've asked him to cancel the order 4 different times

Wait a second, so you have an order in place and you were asking him to mark order as complete? Without delivering an actual piece of work? 

If so then your buyer has all right to decline marking order as complete and you are the one who is breaking fiverr rules. 

I agree with @cs_evans. Its ideal if you can work it out with the client. But, if you truly feel in your heart of hearts that you can't work with this person, and that you've done everything possible to professionally and politely handle the situation, you can reach out to Fiverr support to cancel it for you. Just know that it will still  have consequences on your completion rate, etc. 

Archived