Being held responsible for what other people say?

matta75

I just received a 2nd TOS warning for talking about "taking communication off of the Fiverr platform."  This is the second time the buyer themselves has said something to me about this and I'm being held to account because of what THEY say.  How can I control what is or isn't said by someone in a message they send to me?  I never negotiated to take communication off of Fiverr and never agreed to do so.  Now my account is suspended, I can't get new orders (though at least they'll let me complete the 20+ orders I currently am working through).

I just don't understand how I can be held accountable for what other people say to me.  

How did you respond to them? I always respond by informing them that it is against Fiverr's TOS to do any communication off the site and that we could both lose our accounts if we did that. If you responded appropriately, you should be able to let customer service know that and have your account restored. You should not be held accountable if the exchange was purely one-sided. That's typically not how it works. Obviously there could be a misunderstanding with customer service, but they're usually good about fixing one that is so cut and dry.

They did not fix the first one despite my protests...I think I even told them I had to keep it on Fiverr so as not to be in violation of the TOS. The second one I probably should have been clearer in my response to the person but I never really agreed to take anything off of Fiverr either.

Just frustrating, especially since the first one was cut and dried and should have been removed but wasn't.

7 hours ago, matta75 said:

.I think I even told them I had to keep it on Fiverr so as not to be in violation of the TOS. The second one I probably should have been clearer in my response to the person but I never really agreed to take anything off of Fiverr either.

Frustrating situation, but the way you are presenting it here, sounds like there might have been some ambiguity or wiggle room for the customer service team.  There are a few areas where the Fiverr team is unforgiving, and this is one of them.  Anytime this comes up, you have to shut it down, unequivocally. Keep petitioning the CS team if you truly believe you are right, but if/when it happens in the future, be proactive if shutting the door and letting CS know.  

In my opinion, to keep your account safe, you HAVE to reply and inform, that it is against the ToS, and also you have to report them - in this case, someone who will manually check your correspondence with such "buyers" will see, that you never violated the ToS

Archived