As an Indian Freelancer, what problem do you face in your freelancing journey on Fiverr?

deviekagautam

OH OH, FINALLY SOMEWHERE WHERE I'M NEEDED. So, for the first one, yes, there's difficulty withdrawing payment. As an Indian freelancer, we have laws in India that don't allow money apps like PayPal to hold money for more than 5 days and to receive money on PayPal, you need to prove you're a real person by providing a bunch of documentation that most people don't even have (this is done to prevent scamming). And PayPal (being an Indian), is the ONLY viable option to withdraw payment from. On top of that, not only does PayPal take it's cut during the transaction, if you used a PAN card to verify your identity (it's an Indian document which basically makes you susceptible to taxes and is required to get a job) and you have a proper job, up to 10% of your earnings can be cut through income tax (but there's an easy loophole, just don't have a IRL job, 😉). Freelancing isn't something you can completely depend on in India, mostly due to the superstitions that follow it. If you don't have an office job and you're not an engineer, you're probably selling drugs and evading taxes according to some stupid oldies. I wanted to freelance my whole life, but I'm fairly certain, I will have to get a IRL job eventually, just because of how 'risky' it is, according to family.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:19 AM, newsmike said:

Wouldn't a lack of orders be relative to the quality, or lack thereof of the seller's gigs, as opposed to ethnicity? 

Absolutely! Ethinicity has no role to play in getting orders. However, given I speak to a lot of Indian Fiverr Freelancers offline, I thought it would be a great bet to get the converstation started here. 'Birds of the same feather, flock together.' 😉

On 1/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, aarontgladiator said:

OH OH, FINALLY SOMEWHERE WHERE I'M NEEDED. So, for the first one, yes, there's difficulty withdrawing payment. As an Indian freelancer, we have laws in India that don't allow money apps like PayPal to hold money for more than 5 days and to receive money on PayPal, you need to prove you're a real person by providing a bunch of documentation that most people don't even have (this is done to prevent scamming). And PayPal (being an Indian), is the ONLY viable option to withdraw payment from. On top of that, not only does PayPal take it's cut during the transaction, if you used a PAN card to verify your identity (it's an Indian document which basically makes you susceptible to taxes and is required to get a job) and you have a proper job, up to 10% of your earnings can be cut through income tax (but there's an easy loophole, just don't have a IRL job, 😉). Freelancing isn't something you can completely depend on in India, mostly due to the superstitions that follow it. If you don't have an office job and you're not an engineer, you're probably selling drugs and evading taxes according to some stupid oldies. I wanted to freelance my whole life, but I'm fairly certain, I will have to get a IRL job eventually, just because of how 'risky' it is, according to family.

A great contribution, man! I applaud you. Meanwhile, when I started making considerably more than my day job, I decided not to go back to Corporate. It's just one life and freelancing seemed like a great way to spend my day not being controlled by some authority while making some good money. 🙂

Archived