Should I message a potential client again?

alcabsn

Question

Okay, so a buyer reached out to me in Christmas Eve. We've talked and I made a sample design for him. But, after I made a sample design for him, he said that he would reach back to me in just a couple of hours. However, he hasn't reached back to me at all so I sent him a short message if he's still interested on working with me two days after I sent the sample. I don't think he's a scammer because he also stated that he is checking other sellers that's related in my field when he first messaged me. He has also ordered services from other sellers, but it's not related to my gig whatsoever. It's 5 days already and I need some advice on what to do. Should I send a quick message again and ask if he's still interested or have found another seller? I haven't had an order for a month since I've edited my gig a few times so I'd really like to work with him. Thanks!

5 answers to this question

My general policy is always to first wait a couple of days when someone has inquired about my gig, and then I'll send one check up message. Which is something along the lines of 'hey I was wondering if you still wanted to have this piece done? If not, or if you found somebody else that's completely okay but I just wanted to check'. 

Since you've already send him a follow-up message, personally I wouldn't send another one. That can come off as pushy and if he hasn't responded to the first, he most likely isn't planning to place an order. And if he still does want to, he'll come back to you on his own accord. 

Everybody is eager to get an order so I understand you're more than excited to work with him, since it was close to another deal. But just keep in mind buyers are people (I know, shocker!!) and with any person who's a potential buyer the idea is that when they need their work to be done they'll get (and want) it done. Sometimes there's a delay if their schedules are busy but if they want you to do their job, they'll contact you. Simple as that!

24 minutes ago, sabinespoems said:

Since you've already send him a follow-up message, personally I wouldn't send another one. That can come off as pushy and if he hasn't responded to the first, he most likely isn't planning to place an order. And if he still does want to, he'll come back to you on his own accord. 

Yes, that's why I didn't send another message because I didn't want to look as a pushy seller. I'll try to wait for a few more days since a buyer can also be really busy.

24 minutes ago, sabinespoems said:

Everybody is eager to get an order so I understand you're more than excited to work with him, since it was close to another deal. But just keep in mind buyers are people (I know, shocker!!) and with any person who's a potential buyer the idea is that when they need their work to be done they'll get (and want) it done. Sometimes there's a delay if their schedules are busy but if they want you to do their job, they'll contact you. Simple as that!

I really am excited to work with him since there was also a buyer that contacted me, but he ended up choosing another seller, probably because of the cheaper price. So, I felt a little sad since I lost that potential buyer and I don't want it to happen again with the buyer I'm trying to contact. 

Thank you for the help! But I have a question. How many days is "a couple of days" for you? I'm still thinking on sending another follow-up message just to ask if he already found another seller for the work. I don't want to overthink so I would be needing some clarification from the buyer.

10 hours ago, alcabsn said:

I'll try to wait for a few more days since a buyer can also be really busy.

Exactly, the project they contacted you about might also be put on hold etc. 

10 hours ago, alcabsn said:

Thank you for the help! But I have a question. How many days is "a couple of days" for you? I'm still thinking on sending another follow-up message just to ask if he already found another seller for the work.

I don't apply a strict schedule for that really! It depends a bit on my workload too. I'd say generally it's between 2 to 3 days until I send a follow-up. And again, I never send another message if they haven't responded to my first. But if you really want to do that I'd say wait about a week, since you've already send him a message. 

On 1/4/2022 at 8:31 PM, alcabsn said:

I made a sample design

Was this design generic or what he would have wanted if he ordered? I know some give samples here, but, a lot of times, "samples" that are geared towards what the potential buyer wants are taken and you never hear from them again.

I don't think he's a scammer because he also stated that he is checking other sellers that's related in my field when he first messaged me.

Uh, think again. He is a scammer. He did the FOMO (fear of missing out) scam on you. It is psychological: make you think if you do a good job on the sample, he will hire you - so you go all out to beat the competition. While I am sure he probably uses this scam on other sellers (likely new ones), he isn't ordering from them either. This would be evidenced by you saying:

He has also ordered services from other sellers, but it's not related to my gig whatsoever

Move on. This guy is not going to hire you. He took your "sample" and may even be using it OR may be a reseller here (or elsewhere) and sold it to someone else - sounds horrible, but, it happens here to new sellers a lot.

The problem with messaging him again, is he can turn the tables on you and mark your message as spam and get your account in trouble.

Let it go.

GG

17 hours ago, genuineguidance said:

Was this design generic or what he would have wanted if he ordered? I know some give samples here, but, a lot of times, "samples" that are geared towards what the potential buyer wants are taken and you never hear from them again.

I don't know. He just wanted me to design something about a game, but I'm not sure if it's really the content he does in YouTube. The buyer also said that I can put a watermark so that I can be sure that he won't use it without my permission. I didn't put a watermark, though.

Uh, think again. He is a scammer. He did the FOMO (fear of missing out) scam on you. It is psychological: make you think if you do a good job on the sample, he will hire you - so you go all out to beat the competition. While I am sure he probably uses this scam on other sellers (likely new ones), he isn't ordering from them either. This would be evidenced by you saying:

I see, this could also happen. Even if he did scam me, I'd take it as a lesson and try to avoid things like this in the future.

Move on. This guy is not going to hire you. He took your "sample" and may even be using it OR may be a reseller here (or elsewhere) and sold it to someone else - sounds horrible, but, it happens here to new sellers a lot.

The problem with messaging him again, is he can turn the tables on you and mark your message as spam and get your account in trouble.

I appreciate it the help and I'll be more careful in the future.

Archived