I Wish I Had Found This Forum Earlier

Your first children’s book must have been an effort of love, sweat and tears! Your experience is such a bummer for you and the seller. 

I have traveled the world and feel for someone wanting to provide for their family at all cost. The lesson I have learned on Fiverr is that most sellers are good people but some may lack the experience of a platform like Fiverr …which is serious stuff!

Also you are right… language and cultural differences can play a part in communication. Sometimes buyers sound abrupt and rude but as I get to know them, I realize it’s just the differences in style and language because it doesn’t translate correctly. 

While on a video chat with one of my returning buyers, I realized she was a woman (not a man) and she was kind not rude lol! 

When I get a custom request, before I send an offer, it’s important to me that the buyer communicate to me because as you found out, online communication can be tricky. It’s ok to feel that communication is priority. If a seller has figured it out, they have processes that will help them communicate to buyers… they will explain their challenges in an honest way.

This seller is hopefully learning some harsh lessons about success on Fiverr. It sounds like you are a very kind and tolerant person. When you get your private feedback survey, it may be helpful to explain some of your challenges. It’s the sellers job to anticipate communication issues and find solutions for a better workflow. 

In my personal experience, the Top Rated Sellers have figured this out. There is continuous monitoring of Top Rated Sellers too so no one gets a free ride! If your behavior is not stellar, you can loose your status. 

Anyway, ughhh my thoughts are with you and thank you for your valiant efforts to believe in your seller. 

• Like 40
  • Up 5

Getting burnt sucks, but we have all been there. 

You posting a candid account, pointing out your own errors, goes a long way to help others not make the same mistake, so thank you for that.

Cliche's may be trite, but they are often so true: trust your gut, and you get what you pay for. 

• Like 33
  • Up 2

Sometimes some mistakes happen from the both side. Sometimes buyers meet with a seller without experience and without any preparation for his job. Some times sellers meet with the buyers who can't brief his requirements properly. Actually mistakes happen in any field of work. But we have to look forward. There are a lot of good and bad sellers in fiverr also there are a lot of good and buyers here. So please be patient. As a buyer you need your project to be done and as a seller you also need a project to be done. So discuss properly and keep helping both to complete a project successfully. 

Thank you.

• Like 33

• 6 months later...

I really like your attidute towards a new seller by giving them a chance and not accusing them right away. But anyone who claims their English is good, is to be avoided at all costs. As it must not be even mentioned. 

I am doing illustrations; and i must say im a little suprised. The unexperienced and/or dishonest people usually go for more basic stuff instead of a childrens book. But i guess they are everywhere.

Its a very bad experience, specially for your first try. But i will have some recommendations for your lessons;

On 1/2/2022 at 6:26 PM, adaaguilar987 said:

Spend the $5. on the test illustrations. Try at least three sellers.

Experienced sellers will most likely reject your 5 dollar test. To be honest, i wouldnt even open my tablet for 5 dollars and would have ended the conversation right there. But what you can do is, if you have a 10 page book, you can go with 1 page or 1 scene according to accepted price at the start and contune if you and the seller have a good energy. That would be fair to both of you.

DO NOT approve anything until the project is completed in full.

Definetly. Anyone who demands otherways must be warned. This is a business, and should be taken seriously. Or you can use milestones as payment method, so you can pay page by page.

Experienced sellers will save you a lot of time and aggravation

True. Also try not to forget the new sellers too. Maybe not a childrens story book, but for more basic things.

Make sure the seller puts the deadline you want on the order (mine put a later date than agreed upon)

If i get a job that i can finish in 3 days, i would ask for 4. You never know what can happen. Anyone with the right mind would do it under normal circumstances. So, yeah. If you have agreed on a date, it should be the deadline. Seller should've had prepared themselves for it. (Unless there are some emergency matter happens)

I hope these are helpful.

Edit: Now i realised this is a 7 months old post. Well. 😄 

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 22
  • Up 4

On 1/2/2022 at 4:26 PM, adaaguilar987 said:

A few weeks ago I hired an illustrator from Fiverr to illustrate my first children's book ever. I had many sellers respond but I finally settled for a new seller who claimed to speak English fluently and who would also format my book for KDP. A win-win, right? No. It has been a very bad experience. He cannot follow directions at all and the deadline has come and gone. I believe he doesn't understand English and even with a translator, the messages are lost. When the seller asked me to approve one image, ungrudgingly I did.  Although it was not what I had envisioned, it took so long to get this point that I agreed. This approved the WHOLE project which allowed him to get paid without doing the project (I don't know if this was done on purpose as the seller is new also). The seller did continue to try to get the illustrations done but they were all wrong. Sometimes he reverted back to errors which had taken weeks to correct, the same revision requests were submitted numerous times without him being able to make modifications, and he confused the characters in the book, just a mess which wasted time. Later, the seller also claimed that the format was not included in the $15/ page price.

Fiverr Support helped a little, they communicated with the seller and gave me a small discount for future projects. They communicated with me a lot but no real support was given. I felt trapped. You have 14 days to submit a complaint after project is completed which I did. 

Lesson:

Spend the $5. on the test illustrations. Try at least three sellers.

DO NOT approve anything until the project is completed in full.

Experienced sellers will save you a lot of time and aggravation

Make sure the seller puts the deadline you want on the order (mine put a later date than agreed upon)

The main problem for newcomers to Fiverr is the overestimation of their skills. Not knowing the exact timing of their work.

Many new sellers do not understand many of the principles of the site, respectively, they think that they are in a fairy tale where they will be paid a lot of money for a poorly done job.

I completely agree about the language differences. This is a rather thin line of communication, when the buyer and the seller understand each other through the word, or with the wrong manner of politeness.

Usually 2 steps can solve this problem: 🙂

Don't tell every customer how good your English is if you don't actually have that experience.

An experienced seller, even if he is a beginner, will definitely mention that he may be misunderstood or with the wrong manner of politeness. An experienced salesperson who does not speak the language will say this, knowing that his skill in his field of work will cover this problem.

• Like 18
  • Congrats! 1

• 1 month later...

You are right.
But I think before place the order buyer should talk to the seller and discus about the project.
Then seller show some sample with the buyer description. If the buyer like these sample then place the order.

I think it is the right process. I always do it with every buyer.

You can try it with sellers.

• Like 7
  • Up 1