Buyer is asking for delivery without placing order, What should I do?

graphix_spot

Hi there , hopefully you are having a good day. Few hours ago , I did a job for my potential client ( made logo) , Now he is wanting all files claiming that he is facing issues with purchasing and it can't be fixed till Monday. He is claiming that he will purchase the order at Monday but he needs all files ASAP. What should I do ? I can't trust him since his account is created in January 2022 also it might be scam. Wishing your wise advice. Thanks all.

3 minutes ago, ahmwritingco said:

I think you're right not to trust him. This sounds like a scam. If you send the work before he has placed an order, there's an extremely good chance you'll never hear from him again. 

Thanks I refusing him everytime he asks. But he is coming up with new excuses.

How come you already made the logo when the buyer didn't place an order yet? That's time you've invested that you aren't sure will pay off. I suggest in the future only start working on a job when there's an actual order placed. 

Now it indeed sounds like a scam. You can suggest that he can receive the files when he places an order on Monday and if not, that's his loss basically!

Fiverr strongly recommends never to start working until the order is placed.

49 minutes ago, graphix_spot said:

Wishing your wise advice.

In the future, never start working until the order is placed.

Now, perhaps politely inform the buyer that the only way for you to deliver all the work is if there's an actual order in place. And, maybe, say that you'll be happy to send all the files as soon as the buyer solves their issues with purchasing and places the order.

Hi there , hopefully you are having a good day. Few hours ago , I did a job for my potential client ( made logo) , Now he is wanting all files claiming that he is facing issues with purchasing and it can't be fixed till Monday. He is claiming that he will purchase the order at Monday but he needs all files ASAP. What should I do ? I can't trust him since his account is created in January 2022 also it might be scam. Wishing your wise advice. Thanks all.

I think if you spent a small amount of time on doing that work for him then its okay to take the chances.

1 hour ago, sabinespoems said:

How come you already made the logo when the buyer didn't place an order yet? That's time you've invested that you aren't sure will pay off. I suggest in the future only start working on a job when there's an actual order placed. 

Now it indeed sounds like a scam. You can suggest that he can receive the files when he places an order on Monday and if not, that's his loss basically!

Thanks , as a new buyer I see working on a project as a regular practice work , also it helps me improving my skills , that's why I do work even without order. Please correct me if my perspective is wrong. Thanks.

1 hour ago, lonely_life said:

I think if you spent a small amount of time on doing that work for him then its okay to take the chances.

Not actually , I did spend good times on his project. I thought it's good to make sure client will like your work before placing order. Seems I was wrong.

24 minutes ago, graphix_spot said:

Thanks , as a new buyer I see working on a project as a regular practice work , also it helps me improving my skills , that's why I do work even without order. Please correct me if my perspective is wrong. Thanks.

If you see it as practice and you don't mind spending unpaid time on a project, then that's your decision and there's nothing wrong with that of course! It can help when buyers do place an order and then you can immediately deliver.

As other already have mentioned and I simply want to emphasize; just never send any files/samples before a buyer places an order. They can give you a million excuses but reality is that it's their problem and not yours. 

Rules for every seller:

1) Never start to work before the order was placed - probably you will just lose your time

2) Never give "free samples" - the buyer will order these free samples from you and 10 more people. The work for the "buyer" will be done. You will never get an order

Many people are so desperate about getting orders, but  you should be aware of fake followers.

If I were you, I'd approach this buyer with a little more caution. To me, it seems like a scam. And if you do go through with the order when the buyer's technical problems are 'miraculously' solved, there is the possibility that the buyer will cancel the order and request a refund or threaten you with a bad review. 

I can't tell you what to do, but for me personally, whenever I have a bad feeling about a buyer, I decline their work. Yes, I've lost potential income in the process but I'd rather sacrifice it than go through the extra stress. 

On 1/2/2022 at 7:17 AM, graphix_spot said:

What should I do ?

Have they seen the design? Ask them for a review and use it wherever you need to! Use the design as working sample for future buyers. Don't send the logo until they manage to place an order. 

There is no reason they need the logo ASAP. 

They can use a placeholder until then. 

Wishing the best for you in 2022.

Keep up the great work. Xx

100% a scam.  And even if it is not a scam, you still do not deliver a product without an order. I don't know which TOS it would violate, but I can imagine it probably does.  Fiverr is here to make money, not run a charity.  So, if you deliver a product without an order, Fiverr doesn't make their 20%.  

A LOTTTTT of buyers on here are resellers in that they take your product, mark up the price, and sell to someone else.  Then they get in a position where they promised their client a delivery by X date/time and then can't find someone who will do the work and deliver by that time, so they start begging and making promises/excuses.  In either case, I am reminded what one of my professors told me a long time ago, "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on my part".  In other words, it is their problem, not yours. 

On 1/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, graphix_spot said:

Please correct me if my perspective is wrong.

If you ever want to be taken seriously as a business person, your perspective is really wrong.

This guy also does not have an issue with the payment system - that is a lie. He just has an issue paying you for any work you do.

Don't open yourself up to be exploited. Like someone else pointed out - this could be a person who sells logos here - goes to new sellers, has them working without an order and then demands the product before they place an order - then goes and sells it and makes money off of your time and work.

I guess if you like working for nothing, go ahead and do work before you get orders. But, those who are serious about being self-employed do not work for free.

GG

Archived