Did I act correctly with this user?

maezma85

I responded to a buyer request that signed up here a few days ago for a design and the buyer started talking to me about a totally different topic. He started asking me if I had an account on another platform that I'm not going to name for obvious reasons. Then he offered me monthly money to create an account for him since the account he had was blocked for passing private information. Obviously I refused all this because I clearly felt that it was all very strange, I blocked it and communicated to Fiverr support. Do you think it is some kind of scam? In any case, I would never be held responsible for third-party work or send personal data here because that is forbidden. Do you think I acted correctly? It was too strange really

Another thing that seemed strange to me is that the user was from Mexico and when I realized this detail I told him that if he was from Mexico I could speak to him in Spanish and he replied that he preferred to speak in English. But I realize that he has conversational English like mine because he asked a question in reverse. Why would he want to speak English while living in Mexico without being fluent in English? It was really all very strange. What do you think?

I think his account was banned because by clicking on his username the system sends me to searches

It's a scam. I get messages like this from time to time. Just remember, that people who agree to create Upwork or Facebook accounts for "someone else" will be at risk. You upload your ID data there. When something goes wrong (and it definitely will), you will pay, not the person who is using your account.

Check on Google - Upwork or Facebook scams and you will be shocked, how many people already lost a lot of money, because once they said, "yes, why not? I will create an account for you"

You acted correctly in a strict sense, but you could have been more efficient. That was an obvious scammer, you should have just reported him instead of wasting your time replying to him.

- Do you have an account on upwork?
 - Are you interested in purchasing the services I'm offering in my gigs?
 - No, I want to pay you to... etc. etc.
 *report and block*

10 hours ago, cs_evans said:

To be perfectly honest, if you can't see this is CLEARLY a scam, I worry about your judgement.  It is difficult to tell people no sometimes, but the person needed shut down immediately and reported to the Fiverr team.  

That's what I did and I mentioned it in the post. I blocked the user, I reported it and they banned this person.

10 hours ago, visualstudios said:

You acted correctly in a strict sense, but you could have been more efficient. That was an obvious scammer, you should have just reported him instead of wasting your time replying to him.

- Do you have an account on upwork?
 - Are you interested in purchasing the services I'm offering in my gigs?
 - No, I want to pay you to... etc. etc.
 *report and block*

That's what I did and I mentioned it in the post. I blocked the user, I reported it and they banned this person. Obviously I had to talk to him, because he contacted me for a design quote from a request from him and then he started asking those questions. By the way, I was researching on the Internet and there is a user with the same name who operates in similar ways, his name is Luis.

Yes, and it is the only thing I know, that this name coincides with the one he had as a user here and there are complaints about the same way of operating in Google and with the same name, I said that. Do you think a scammer is going to tell everyone their postal address on Google? I put his name as a warning although I do not know if it is real but he is using it. Do you have any understanding problems? 

Archived