Help!!...one mistake and my profile has gone down the tubes

riazza

Question

Hi All,

I've been on Fiverr as a seller for 6 months and started off with "Rising Talent" on a few of my services which was great. I had quite bit of traction on my profile i.e. profile views/clicks and then some orders. I completed all my orders (15) on time and all my stats were at 100%. All the reviews I received were 5 stars. This all happened in the first 4 months.

In mid October it was my sisters wedding and I was trying to manage my messages and orders as well as I could and I did pretty well considering how busy I was. 

I made one mistake and that was delivering a service 1 day late for which I got 3 stars.

Since then, I've had next to nothing in the last 2 months in terms of views/messages and no orders. I cant believe how much my profile has dropped due to one order being delivered one day late.

What steps can I take now start building some momentum?

Any ideas/tips would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

14 answers to this question

First off, don't deliver late.  That is a killer.  I get you had a personal circumstance, but ask for more time or set the gig delivery time longer when you know you have stuff coming up, just do not deliver late, period.  Other than that, stick to the fundamentals.  What you were doing was working before, so don't try to reinvent the wheel right now.  Augment with more social media marketing, or whatever marketing is most appropriate for you.  Also, I looked at your 3-star review and I don't see that you posted a reply.  First, you should be posting a reply to every review.  Second, when the reviews aren't perfect, and not all will be (if everyone is 5-star then no one is 5-star), own that you made a mistake and move forward.  An example would be, "I am very sorry for delivering the job a day late.  I was participating in my sister's wedding and unfortunately delivered to you late.  I have redoubled my efforts to always deliver on time, regardless of what is happening.  Thank you and hopefully we can work together again in the future." 

So your one mistake resulted in two dings (late delivery metric and poor feedback). Most of these metrics are on a rolling 60-day period, but in the meantime and even after that, it can just take patience to recover. So just hustle as much as you can in the meantime. Double-check all your gigs to make sure they're optimized (gig images are good, gig description is good, you have FAQs, etc.), and make sure to check out and reply to buyer requests. Maybe also considering opening a couple of other gigs in the meantime as well to broaden your reach.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, cs_evans said:

First off, don't deliver late.  That is a killer.  I get you had a personal circumstance, but ask for more time or set the gig delivery time longer when you know you have stuff coming up, just do not deliver late, period.  Other than that, stick to the fundamentals.  What you were doing was working before, so don't try to reinvent the wheel right now.  Augment with more social media marketing, or whatever marketing is most appropriate for you.  Also, I looked at your 3-star review and I don't see that you posted a reply.  First, you should be posting a reply to every review.  Second, when the reviews aren't perfect, and not all will be (if everyone is 5-star then no one is 5-star), own that you made a mistake and move forward.  An example would be, "I am very sorry for delivering the job a day late.  I was participating in my sister's wedding and unfortunately delivered to you late.  I have redoubled my efforts to always deliver on time, regardless of what is happening.  Thank you and hopefully we can work together again in the future." 

Points noted. 

I have left reviews and comments for buyers and then sat back and waited to see what they left me. I wasn't aware that there was a provide feedback option. I've only just gone back and noticed it now that you have mentioned it.

I have tinkered with the gigs, prices and added 2 new gigs to try and keep it fresh

Thanks for the support!

On 12/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, zackreynolds said:

So your one mistake resulted in two dings (late delivery metric and poor feedback). Most of these metrics are on a rolling 60-day period, but in the meantime and even after that, it can just take patience to recover. So just hustle as much as you can in the meantime. Double-check all your gigs to make sure they're optimized (gig images are good, gig description is good, you have FAQs, etc.), and make sure to check out and reply to buyer requests. Maybe also considering opening a couple of other gigs in the meantime as well to broaden your reach.

Thank you for the comments. I have freshened up the gig and prices and I have also created 2 new related gigs since then.

I spent considerable time on creating the profile and researching the best profiles 6 months ago so I know that hard work paid off with the momentum that I had. To my knowledge there not much more I can do other than, as you say, be patient.

Thanks for the support

As others have said, it may take some time for you to get back on track. However, considering you only had one negative review and one late order, I'm sure you'll manage to resume your full activity soon.

Whenever you feel like you won't be able to deliver something on time, it is recommended to use the Resolution Center and forward a time extension request before the timer runs out. This allows you to be covered even if the buyer accepts the resolution when the order has technically already gone late. Just do not send the extension when the timer is on 0, because this will totally drop your delivery rates.

I only had one late order a few months ago due to a glitch; the additional purchase with extra time added to the order did not take effect even if the buyer accepted it, so the time didn't increase and it went to 0 before I could complete everything. The buyer left a positive feedback for the work I did though, so in the end I only had to deal with my completion rates dropping straight to 94% and then even below 90% with each passing day. Thankfully the monthly profile check took place when my rates were still over 90%, so I didn't get any demotion (on the contrary I even got a Level 2 Badge ahah).

Sadly this stuff can be very harmful even when it is not your fault, so you have to be super careful with how you deal with your orders and buyers.

On 12/15/2021 at 1:02 PM, nika_3dartist said:

As others have said, it may take some time for you to get back on track. However, considering you only had one negative review and one late order, I'm sure you'll manage to resume your full activity soon.

Whenever you feel like you won't be able to deliver something on time, it is recommended to use the Resolution Center and forward a time extension request before the timer runs out. This allows you to be covered even if the buyer accepts the resolution when the order has technically already gone late. Just do not send the extension when the timer is on 0, because this will totally drop your delivery rates.

I only had one late order a few months ago due to a glitch; the additional purchase with extra time added to the order did not take effect even if the buyer accepted it, so the time didn't increase and it went to 0 before I could complete everything. The buyer left a positive feedback for the work I did though, so in the end I only had to deal with my completion rates dropping straight to 94% and then even below 90% with each passing day. Thankfully the monthly profile check took place when my rates were still over 90%, so I didn't get any demotion (on the contrary I even got a Level 2 Badge ahah).

Sadly this stuff can be very harmful even when it is not your fault, so you have to be super careful with how you deal with your orders and buyers.

It was terrible. my completion rate went down to 0% last week as I didn't have any order to complete on time! vicious circle. And to make matters worse I went from a Level 1 for only 1 month back down to a new seller just for this one mistake.

Thanks for your support

On 12/16/2021 at 11:08 PM, riazza said:

It was terrible. my completion rate went down to 0% last week as I didn't have any order to complete on time! vicious circle. And to make matters worse I went from a Level 1 for only 1 month back down to a new seller just for this one mistake.

Thanks for your support

Yeah in your case it seems like you'll have to rebuild things from the ground up... which is unfortunate. New orders can slow down the decrease of your completion rates, but without getting any, they will just constantly drop little by little and there's no way for you to stop this process. Also, something I personally don't really like is the fact your rates drop to 94% directly instead of starting from 98%, that is a big jump and considering 90% is the minimum required, you can go below that really fast.

I'm sorry this happened to you, it can really be hard for some sellers as they are punished more than they'd like for doing one thing wrong unintentionally. No orders = no higher rates, no high rates = level demotion, level demotion (+ low rates) = no visibility and no new orders. It would be ideal for you to get more incoming requests from returning buyers, since they already worked for you and left a positive feedback. However, there's no way to foresee what will happen. I wish you all the best, I'm sure you'll manage to go back to where you were and even exceed that point!

On 12/13/2021 at 7:41 AM, riazza said:

I got 3 stars.

About 6 month ago, a buyer ordered my services...
everything was flawless, I tried my best regarding my services. But he left me with 4.7 star rating, for that specific reason I lost my gig rank:(
Still that same buyer ordered my gig again and this time he gave me 5 stars and became a regular

On 12/18/2021 at 3:43 PM, akib0079 said:

About 6 month ago, a buyer ordered my services...
everything was flawless, I tried my best regarding my services. But he left me with 4.7 star rating, for that specific reason I lost my gig rank:(
Still that same buyer ordered my gig again and this time he gave me 5 stars and became a regular

Not sure what you mean about losing your gig rank... but yeah, you can't really predict how people rate you and they won't even explain why they don't give you 5 stars in each field. It is how it is... good thing that buyer became a regular though!

On 12/14/2021 at 1:23 PM, woo_solutions_ said:

Thanks for share your experience. We should remember this things and maintain the flow. Thanks............🥰

Uhm... just saying, I see this identical comment posted every single day and basically in every thread 😅

On 12/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, nika_3dartist said:

Yeah in your case it seems like you'll have to rebuild things from the ground up... which is unfortunate. New orders can slow down the decrease of your completion rates, but without getting any, they will just constantly drop little by little and there's no way for you to stop this process. Also, something I personally don't really like is the fact your rates drop to 94% directly instead of starting from 98%, that is a big jump and considering 90% is the minimum required, you can go below that really fast.

I'm sorry this happened to you, it can really be hard for some sellers as they are punished more than they'd like for doing one thing wrong unintentionally. No orders = no higher rates, no high rates = level demotion, level demotion (+ low rates) = no visibility and no new orders. It would be ideal for you to get more incoming requests from returning buyers, since they already worked for you and left a positive feedback. However, there's no way to foresee what will happen. I wish you all the best, I'm sure you'll manage to go back to where you were and even exceed that point!

Thankyou

On 12/13/2021 at 10:42 PM, cs_evans said:

Thanks for share your experience 

Sellers suffer a lot for small mistakes. Like we are made to work like zombi*s and be perfect or be punished. Sounds like sl*very. Buyers do not get the same type of punishm*nt. Wasn't like that in the past.

The last time, my order completion rate went from 100% to 90% because a buyer contacted support to cancel an order. The same order that the buyer okayed after I completed it. How do you explain from 100% to 90% because of one order cancellation? Well, support gave me my money back and restored the completion rate to 100, but the damage has been done. Less visibility and less/no orders.

Archived