Not really a rant, just letting it out.

zeus777

So all of the regular forum visitors know by now that I offer illustrations and translations.
During my time here I have encountered many fake sellers and reported them as you all now, but I have met
very decent and professional people as well, and when I get too busy I recommend them because I trust their skills.
I had about 4 people on my list, but just last night one name has been removed from my "trusty fellow translator list" to the
"premium sh*t list."

A buyer placed an order and he asked me to give him honest feedback of a certain translation done by this other seller.
I looked through the entire file and my conclusion was Google crap. It was not manually done for sure.
I gave him my feedback along with several examples of the "wrong" areas, and he replied completely confused because according to
him this other seller is a "native Japanese" with good ratings. He gave me the link and I went to check it.

And yes, she was indeed native Japanese with good ratings.
In fact, several months ago I was asked to proofread a different file from another buyer and when I checked the translation it was very decent.
I found out who the translator was after I finished the proofreading, and because she seemed very reliable based on the file I proofread I kept her name on my list, and there
were several times where I recommended this seller to other buyers because I was too busy.

The very same seller gave this particular buyer crappy translation.
By the way my buyer showed my feedback to this seller and her response was simply something like "The changes have been made."
The buyer sent me the "fixed" file and when I checked it, yes, the parts I mentioned were fixed but the rest remained the same.
It seems like she mentioned nothing about my comments. Um, excuse me miss, dontcha have something to say?

This meant that even though this seller IS capable of doing decent work which was clearly proven by the file I checked several months ago,
she chose to do crap work for that particular order. Why? I dunno. Was she busy? Or does she choose to do a decent/crappy job
based on how much she is paid? Who knows.

The buyer even asked me to message this seller, but what in the heck am I supposed to say to her?
"Hey I proofread your work, it was cr@p and I KNOW it's cr@p because I am Japanese too, shame on you!!" ???

I feel bad because I have mentioned her name several times to other buyers because I thought she was reliable.
Makes me wonder how many people actually did contact her and whether she did a decent job or not...
It also makes me think about the other 3 people on my list. Do they randomly deliver crap work too??

There really is not point to this post, I'm just venting a bit.
Seriously though.

What's the point of giving one client a bad translation though? Like was she just too busy to translate herself so quickly put it through Google Translate or something? Maybe her account doesn't belong to her anymore? I believe there's a reason behind everything (not that it's justified) and she must have had some kinda motive.

23 minutes ago, aarontgladiator said:

What's the point of giving one client a bad translation though?

This whole thing made me think that it is not a one-time only thing.
Maybe she decides to do a crappy/decent job depending on how much she is paid, or how busy she is.
Or she gets into "lazy mode" every now and then, who knows.

Several years ago I was asked to proofread a translation done by another Japanese, and for that file it was 50% decent, 50% Google.
Turns out that she got lazy and thought it was OK thinking that nobody will find out. (and yes, she admit to it)

I'm personally a workaholic and getting an order is a big thing for me, so if I will sacrifice my sleep and whatever necessary to make sure my client gets the best possible experience. But I will never do something I don't enjoy doing. I just feel like people like this are just being greedy and honestly, even if you don't like your job, you should at least be diligent towards it because no one forced you to do it. (All the you's in this message aren't pointing towards you, BTW, they're just metaphors.) Terrible sellers and buyers ruin Fiverr for people genuinely trying to help.

3 minutes ago, aarontgladiator said:

I'm personally a workaholic and getting an order is a big thing for me, so if I will sacrifice my sleep and whatever necessary to make sure my client gets the best possible experience

Just out of curiosity: how many orders do you complete per month? And how long you’ve been doing it? 

1 hour ago, zeus777 said:

(The buyer decided to report this seller, but I doubt CS will do anything...💩 )

On the nextepisode of...... CS Chronicles...... 

Episode ideas:

- Will they do something about it or not?

- And the winner is ..........the buyer

- The Seller Prevails

- I'm sorry there's nothing we can do about it

- Answers to Y mai Gig n0 r@nk

7 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I'm guessing this trick is gonna involve alcohol.

(The buyer decided to report this seller, but I doubt CS will do anything...💩 )

Nooooo 😱

You gotta find a large mirror (that's important)

Then you gotta go stand in front of it and look at yourself for exactly 2 minutes without blinking...

Then you gotta say the magic words... "Suraj says Hi"... 🤘

1 hour ago, surajkartha said:

Nooooo 😱

You gotta find a large mirror (that's important)

Then you gotta go stand in front of it and look at yourself for exactly 2 minutes without blinking...

Then you gotta say the magic words... "Suraj says Hi"... 🤘

I thought it was gonna go further and you were supposed to light a candle and say the magic words 3 times, leave the room and never turn back. Please tell me someone gets this reference.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:52 AM, zeus777 said:

A buyer placed an order and he asked me to give him honest feedback of a certain translation done by this other seller.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:52 AM, zeus777 said:

The buyer even asked me to message this seller, but what in the heck am I supposed to say to her?

Yeah, I'm a translator, I don't offer any of that as a Gig, sorry.

If you get sick of that kind of job or questions, try just offering translation, no proofreading. Then you can turn down such inquiries quickly, because you don't offer x, or if they order it on a translation Gig without talking to you, support can cancel it. I don't regret at all that I paused my proofreading Gig long ago for several reasons, didn't feel like reactivating it even once.

1 hour ago, miiila said:

If you get sick of that kind of job or questions, try just offering translation, no proofreading.

Personally I'm OK with the "honest feedback." I've done it a good number of times before and it takes less than 15 minutes to finish.
I only do proofreading if the translation was done manually (usually it takes less than a minute to figure out whether it's manual or Google).
When I tell them the translation is Google and it would be faster if I just translate everything from scratch, explaining that "editing" a Google translation is way more troublesome and time consuming they usually understand and I get a new translation gig 😅
I learned a looooooooong time ago that proofreading a Google translation is something I will never want to do!

Archived