Are the newbies making sales or is it a stunt?

gina_riley2

Everyday, I see quite a bit of Sellers posting about getting 1st order, 5 star review and/or tips.

When I check their gigs, yikes! 😮😮

I have to ask who in the world would buy this gig? Misspelled words, nonsensical jibber jabber, horrible gig pictures, and profiles that talk about more jibber. Sometimes, I don't understand what the seller is saying.

Even if the buyer isn't a native English speaker, that gawd awful pictures, should be a deterrent. 

I also question those 5 star reviews. It looks forced, dare I say Fake?

I noticed something similar. I think there is a Facebook group where people post each others gigs and I guess a collaboration of sorts. Ohwell, it will be hard to keep up the shenanigans for like 500 reviews... Heck even having 100 reviews means shelling out at least $500 plus fees..

9 minutes ago, theratypist said:

I noticed something similar. I think there is a Facebook group where people post each others gigs and I guess a collaboration of sorts. Ohwell, it will be hard to keep up the shenanigans for like 500 reviews... Heck even having 100 reviews means shelling out at least $500 plus fees..

I don't even want to think about this, but if they somehow yoyo the money around (like, I buy your gig, you buy mine) they are only 'losing' the fees (that we pay and that buyers pay.) That's still a huge amount of money in the long run but if they build up a chain of it... 

I've also noticed this, but also have realized that selling/buying old accounts seems to be really popular as well. I always find it weird when a seller with an older account (with lots of reviews) suddenly comes back and starts asking VERY basic questions (or posts nonsense...) I mean, of course, things could have changed as well, but yeah. 

(I've seen several of these lately and have pointed it out but I'd think they didn't really get it due to the language barrier.)

Haha, intelligent you, lol. 

Well, I believe my thumbnails wouldn't be great as well but I love when lots of buyers tell me they loved my gigs' descriptions, specifically the gig I have created for philosophy. 

This woman who initially texted me a few days back that 'she's totally sold on my gig's description and would love to work with me' ended up purchasing 6 products in a row. 

Another one, initially asked if I can help him with a one pager cookies policy had paid me 500$ for different projects. 

So, yeah gig pictures and descriptions matter. 

However, I have noticed seller with broken English and poor performance with 100s and even 1000s of reviews. 

Can't fathom the idea if they've purchased all those reviews.  

It's all in 'the game'.
In no particular order....

1. Create or buy a profile.
2. Find a 'niche' that is completely saturated. (Doesn't matter if you have no skills).
3. Steal gig descriptions, or write your own in poor English. Don't bother to get it proofread - just ask someone on here to do it free!
4. Listen to gurus on YT or in person. Follow their 'Guides to Success' religiously.
5. Swap FB reviews etc ad infinitum. 
6. Spam forums with drivel 
7. Swamp social media...with drivel
8. Spam other sellers...with drivel
9. Never read 5r's ToS - why bother?
10. Respond to BRs even when you have no idea what the buyer is talking about.
11. Stay awake for 24 hours a day. 
12. Pray.

You will succeed if you follow these 12 simple steps! :classic_rolleyes:

51 minutes ago, fiveroptic1 said:

It's all in 'the game'.
In no particular order....

1. Create or buy a profile.
2. Find a 'niche' that is completely saturated. (Doesn't matter if you have no skills).
3. Steal gig descriptions, or write your own in poor English. Don't bother to get it proofread - just ask someone on here to do it free!
4. Listen to gurus on YT or in person. Follow their 'Guides to Success' religiously.
5. Swap FB reviews etc ad infinitum. 
6. Spam forums with drivel 
7. Swamp social media...with drivel
8. Spam other sellers...with drivel
9. Never read 5r's ToS - why bother?
10. Respond to BRs even when you have no idea what the buyer is talking about.
11. Stay awake for 24 hours a day. 
12. Pray.

You will succeed if you follow these 12 simple steps! :classic_rolleyes:

Jeez! 

YouTube guru reincarnated.  

2 hours ago, gina_riley2 said:

I have to ask who in the world would buy this gig? Misspelled words, nonsensical jibber jabber, horrible gig pictures

A question I have asked myself before, but you do see all of that out in the wild, too, so maybe some are stunts, and others actual sales.

You know those websites that look as if they haven't been updated since the French Revolution (1789, to spare anyone wanting to check if their memory serves right), or cheap T-shirts and stationery with cute misspelled words and/or nonsensical jibber jabber, or printed restaurant menus where you can't figure out whether they want to sell you snakes or shakes, for instance? Maybe all self-made, maybe bought, who knows.

Horrible gig pictures... some time ago, an expert in that field messaged me out of the blue, sent a gig pic they made for me, by ripping and "improving" my actual gig picture, which had served me quite fine until then, thank you... no way I would have used that concoction as my gig pic even if it had been a gift by my own dearest granny, if I had one; I'm not a graphics person, but... well, let's leave it at that.
However, they must have liked their "improved" version of my pic better than mine, I suppose, and even would hope, because else, the whole stunt would have made even less sense than it did anyway. One person's horrible gig picture may be another person's Mona Lisa, and if there are sellers who like horrible gig pictures, there may be buyers who like them as well...? I can't come up with a more benevolent explanation for the horrible gig pictures than "Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder", in any case. Or maybe I can, but tis the season to be jolly, peace on Earth (and Mars), good-will to men (and everyone else)

37 minutes ago, newsmike said:

No doubt they are buying from each other to "rank" gig

If they were buying directly from each other the system would probably give them an account warning after a while (or if they kept doing it I think) or a suspension.

eg. one person on the forum said they had a message from CS that said:

...Our system has brought to our attention irregular purchasing activity associated with your account. All feedback reviews given to a seller must come from legitimate sales executed exclusively through the Fiverr platform from users within our Community. Any purchases arranged from services outside of Fiverr to enhance seller’s ratings or to abuse the Fiverr platform using fraudulent purchases will result in a permanent suspension of the seller’s account.

So maybe it automatically detects people buying directly from each other (unless, for the above message, they found out through whatever site they were arranging the reviews).

15 hours ago, uk1000 said:

If they were buying directly from each other the system would probably give them an account warning after a while (or if they kept doing it I think) or a suspension.

I think it's usually review rings, not buying from each other directly.

Plus many of them have more than one account.

4 hours ago, barrisam said:

I remember ranting about this a few weeks back. Why do they even feel the need to post about every single sale? Why draw more attention to the scheme?

Haha. They even post when someone texts them about their services. 

While the funniest part is that when a seller with one 4.3 stars review gives you advises on how to become a top-rated freelancer. 

(7 unique teeps to becam a gret writer:

1. Pray 

2. Remain anline 25/7.5

3. Pray for my neighbor's cat 

7. I got my second order after one light year) 

I am rolling on the floor(jibber, jabber)....as for me fiverr is great and it is about basic rules. I will keep pushing while waiting for my first order. Though some buy themselves  reviews but i have make up my mind never to go through the back door.

Archived