Designer disaster / crashed hard drive?

slapartist406

Hello community,

I am here to share a story and ask for some advice from the community.

Earlier this year I paid around $618 for a designer to create an entire twitch package for me. This was to help promote my brand that has been filed for a trademark and to break away from templates.

Moving right to the story:

I felt that I had to spoon feed the designer ideas instead of creating or coming up with ideas. However, I eventually received my designs and I genially like them.

Shortly after the delivery I had a few changes, but I was informed that his hard drive crashed. These changes were  regarding my logo that wasn’t printing well on shirts because of the gradient. I paid for the rights for merchandise so that my viewers could wear and support my channel. The designer, again, claimed the hard drive crashed and the recovery yielded nothing. He did say that he would help, but needed some time because he was away for the week.

Upon his return the response to me was I can make your logo black and white, but that’s about all I can do for you. Even though I paid for printing rights for the ability to sell merchandise, I’m unable to even do this because of the gradient/design. Making this logo black and white is not what I paid for.

I even asked if my twitch buttons could be adjusted for a blank button to add custom content as needed. Basically the designer told me to use the content aware tool and find a close font and do it myself.

Right now I’m really upset over this because I feel that this designer should know better about backing up drives. It feels like a rookie move and/or he is not willing to help. I’m also upset because some source files were given to me but not everything. I don’t believe that everything was included, but at this price, it should have been. I’m not a newbie of after effects and could make adjustments if I needed too, but I literally have nothing to help my graphics.

I asked the designer what would it cost if I paid you to recreate everything again but this time I want all source files…everything. This is my trademark brand and I need all of this, but he hasn’t responded.

Am I out of line or is this designer? I’ve contacted Fiverr and they have been helpful, but I’m torn.

Would you pay for this person to redesign everything again or move on to someone else to replicate everything?

5 minutes ago, slapartist406 said:

These changes were  regarding my logo that wasn’t printing well on shirts because of the gradient.

That sounds weird. What is the problem with gradient? Why your printing company can not print gradients? Are you sure it’s a designer problem and not a printer? 

6 minutes ago, slapartist406 said:

Am I out of line or is this designer? I’ve contacted Fiverr and they have been helpful, but I’m torn.

Do you have a scope of the order? You should have it on your page where designer outlines in gig or gig requirements what exactly is included. If all source files were included then your designer should’ve delivered it. You can see details of the order on the order page under “details” tab. 
Also if he sent you source files then the drive crashing should not be a problem because he can download those files from your order page 

5 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

That sounds weird. What is the problem with gradient? Why your printing company can not print gradients? Are you sure it’s a designer problem and not a printer? 

Do you have a scope of the order? You should have it on your page where designer outlines in gig or gig requirements what exactly is included. If all source files were included then your designer should’ve delivered it. You can see details of the order on the order page under “details” tab. 
Also if he sent you source files then the drive crashing should not be a problem because he can download those files from your order page 

I do. I recover the .PSD files and i believe the .AI file is there, but honestly I don’t think it’s the actual source file. I would need to jump on my computer to double check. I know there were zero animation source files like after effects, but that was not included on the description. The problem is that some information on the after effect files needs to be changed but that can’t happen now. 

Just now, slapartist406 said:

I do. I recover the .PSD files and i believe the .AI file is there, but honestly I don’t think it’s the actual source file. I would need to jump on my computer to double check. I know there were zero animation source files like after effects, but that was not included on the description. The problem is that some information on the after effect files needs to be changed but that can’t happen now. 

Just now, slapartist406 said:

I will check my files tomorrow and get back to you. He didn’t even offer to help me make a blank twitch button with the “source files” if they are there in the zip file. I’m not a total idiot with editing…I used to teach it in college. But when I received the files we were getting ready to move. Now with information changing for me and I actually have some time, I don’t think everything I need is there. And telling me to make the logo black and white just felt insulting. 

Archived