Buyer wants me to send unfinished work before order completion

edenrebo

Question

Hello Fiverr community! 
So I offer proofreading and correction services in French here and one of my clients ordered some work for a book.
However, I felt like I needed to ask for some advice here. First of all, the buyer contacted me apparently a while ago, asking for a quote, but with a different account. They sent me the screenshot of our past conversation and I can confirm that I was the seller they were talking to.
I simply ignored that and just sent them an offer for the book.
The client successfully placed the order. However, 2 weeks into the job, the buyer, in the order conversation, asks for another offer for another task to be done (translation for a book). I told them that I was unable to work on such a task, as I had orders to complete, and I was also already working on their first order. So I told myself, okay, just a mistake from their end. 
Then, the same buyer requests a cancellation for the order I am CURRENTLY working on, which is the proofreading of the book, stating that I can't work on the task, so they ask for a cancellation. Once again, I tell them there must be a mistake, as the first order was successfully placed and I have already started working on the book. 
They apologize, saying that it was indeed a mistake, but then they ask me if I could "send the progress", since their client wants to see it. I explain to them that since this is not a "per milestone" task, I am unable to do so (having been scammed before), however, I did inform them on what kind of corrections I worked on and that the job will be done on time. I also told them that if their client needed some info in French, I would be more than happy to contact them and let them know.
Should I be worried ? I'm waiting for their response, but I don't know if I should keep on working on this task if they don't intend to pay me for my time or file another dispute. 

4 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, edenrebo said:

Should I be worried ? I'm waiting for their response, but I don't know if I should keep on working on this task if they don't intend to pay me for my time or file another dispute. 

In my opinion you handled situation well. And not much more to do apart from waiting on their reply and insisting on delivering everything in one of go as fiverr doesn’t allow partial deliveries. 
However there are a couple of red flags in how they handle things, having two accounts etc. 
No one is protected of client requesting cancellation even after you deliver your order. But you don’t have to agree for that cancellation. And even if they leave you a bad revenge review if you don’t agree for cancellation you can always write your reply with your side of a story under their review 

3 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

In my opinion you handled situation well. And not much more to do apart from waiting on their reply and insisting on delivering everything in one of go as fiverr doesn’t allow partial deliveries. 
However there are a couple of red flags in how they handle things, having two accounts etc. 
No one is protected of client requesting cancellation even after you deliver your order. But you don’t have to agree for that cancellation. And even if they leave you a bad revenge review if you don’t agree for cancellation you can always write your reply with your side of a story under their review 

Thank you very much for your response ! I'll see how it goes ... 

UPDATE: 

Things are pretty weird. I submitted my work a few days ago, and yesterday I had a new buyer request and it's quite odd. The new buyer is from the same country as the one mentioned in my original post (above), and this new buyer is asking me to proofread THE EXACT SAME BOOK 🤔 But without all my corrections, of course, since it's a "different" buyer. So they simply asked a quote for the same book that I finished JUST A FEW DAYS AGO!

Also, this new buyer's profile seems fake, as they have 5 stars reviews from the same person on their profile, with the exact same text. 

I simply reported the message to Fiverr, but I wanted to know if you guys had ever experienced this kind of thing before? Is it just me or is something not right here?

Archived