I think someone is reselling my work on fiver for a higher price. What do I do?

cc99williams

Question

Hi! I have a proofreading gig, and I have very low prices right now so that I can build up some good reviews. Long story short, a client has placed at least 5 orders with me and it’s been suspicious. First off, they have never given me a review, despite repeatedly rehiring me (and me repeatedly politely asking them to give one, good or bad). Second off, I am getting a very wide range of essays and writing styles (too much for it to all be from the same person). I’m starting to think that this person also has a proofreading gig on Fiverr, is hiring me to do the editing, and then splitting the difference and earning a profit without doing any of the work. Is this allowed? And if not, how do I go about reporting or investigating based on my suspicions?

5 answers to this question

That's one of the biggest risks of being on the 'cheaper' side. While it might attract more customers than having a higher price, people might try and re-sell your work. If the person isn't a seller on here, they could be just outsourcing for their company/another site. 

I PERSONALLY don't like outsourcing stuff this way - but I don't think it's against rules. (I just don't like the potential hassle of 'my customer said they want this and this' days and days after the order is completed.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:06 AM, cc99williams said:

I’m starting to think that this person also has a proofreading gig on Fiverr...or investigating based on my suspicions?

If you want to check if someone has a proofreading gig on Fiverr you can just go and look on their profile and see. You can click on their profile link in their messages or type fiverr.com/their_user_name. If their gig is paused you could check through Google.

Like has been said it's not against the rules to outsource so there's no need to report them for outsourcing. Fiver hasn't said any rules about revisions for outsourcing though (eg. if their end customer wanted revisions). Fiverr should really put more stuff in the rules re: outsourcing.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, cc99williams said:

they have never given me a review, despite repeatedly rehiring me (and me repeatedly politely asking them to give one, good or bad

You can not ask for review on fiverr. You are risking of getting a warning. 

am getting a very wide range of essays

I hope it’s not assignments. You need to be careful as essays and assignments are forbidden on fiverr. You might risk loosing your account. 

Is this allowed? And if not, how do I go about reporting or investigating based on my suspicions?

Nothing to report. They paid for your services and if you don’t have commercial rights separate in your gig then all rights transferred to your client and he/she can do whatever they want with your work. 

Put your prices higher, now you know that there is a market for your services at a higher price. 

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with this. Everyone in this world does that. Companies that earn millions of dollars pay only a few bucks to the employees. The employee simply can't complain about that because the company has the rights to the work and can use it wherever they want.

Same here in your case. The client pays for your hard work, and now he has the right to use the work wherever he want because he owns that. We call this "outsourcing work".

Archived