Jump to content
  • 0

How to deal with the (apparent) lack of patience of some buyers?


zanardi2

Question

Sometimes I get this scenario:

  1. Buyer contacts me about a gig. He gives me details, even attaches a few files to make his point;
  2. His timing is bad, as I am not at my laptop (let's say it's Saturday evening and I am out with my girlfriend);
  3. I reply to him in something of this line: Hello and thank you for contacting me! I cannot look over what you sent me right now, because I am out. But I shall look tomorrow and contact you for an answer;
  4. I look and I contact him, telling him that I can do what he asks. I even make him an offer.
  5. Radio silence from him.

OK. I understand he has every right to do so. I understand he has options and he has no reason to wait for me. No problem.

What I am wondering is if I could've handled this situation better. Should I tell him that I can do it then, the next day, study the materials he gave me only to keep him as a customer or should I keep doing what I did, meaning sincerely telling him that I shall give him an answer the next day and praying that he doesn't change his mind? Or a third way?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

On 11/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, zanardi2 said:

Sometimes I get this scenario:

  1. Buyer contacts me about a gig. He gives me details, even attaches a few files to make his point;
  2. His timing is bad, as I am not at my laptop (let's say it's Saturday evening and I am out with my girlfriend);
  3. I reply to him in something of this line: Hello and thank you for contacting me! I cannot look over what you sent me right now, because I am out. But I shall look tomorrow and contact you for an answer;
  4. I look and I contact him, telling him that I can do what he asks. I even make him an offer.
  5. Radio silence from him.

OK. I understand he has every right to do so. I understand he has options and he has no reason to wait for me. No problem.

What I am wondering is if I could've handled this situation better. Should I tell him that I can do it then, the next day, study the materials he gave me only to keep him as a customer or should I keep doing what I did, meaning sincerely telling him that I shall give him an answer the next day and praying that he doesn't change his mind? Or a third way?

Some Buyers think that we freelancers are robots sitting 24 hours around laptops to chat with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/11/2022 at 7:39 PM, gina_riley2 said:

To br fair, there is no less than 1000 posts right here, on this forum, with advices that range fron:

* Stay on line 24 hrs

* Stay on line maximum time

🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

And no answer to my question

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, zanardi2 said:

And no answer to my question

Always be honest and give buyers specific time in hours not like I will contact you tomorrow (There are time zone differences). By giving buyers specific time (like 6 hours) you will increase the chances that they will wait for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you did exactly what you should have, and handled it quite well. Only thing I would add to what you've listed is to make sure the custom offer you draft has an expiration date, like three days to one week. If the Buyer doesn't accept it, then you know they're not likely to come back. It helps, because after it expires, it's not your problem, and it's easier to move on. As for those files they sent, you can safely delete them any time after the offer expires. And, in the unlikely event that they do happen to come back, you'll have already drafted the custom offer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...