Advice on inaccurate location

matt_j_copy

Hi everyone. I am on holiday in Kenya, it's a long holiday, ten weeks. I had time on my hands and decided to probe the world of freelance working, having got a taste for what the digital nomad lifestyle could be. I registered on Fiverr and then realised that rather than choosing my location manually, it automatically picked up from my IP address. I live in France and contacted customer service to fix the problem. They asked for utility bills or a mobile phone bill but all my bills are included in my rent and my mobile phone contract is all done online. They only accept photos of documents you've received through the post. I emailed my last proof of having paid rent (quittance de loyer) but this was rejected as insufficient. I offered to send a photo of my French residency permit. They accepted the offer and I sent in a photo of that, along with one of my EU health card and my French covid pass. They wrote back and said that my application to change location was rejected. This left me scratching my head why they asked for the photos my permit if it was going to be rejected anyway. I'm now stuck in the situation of having to lie to clients about where I live if I want to try to find work on the platform. I fly back to France at the end of this month and feel uncomfortable about having to lie to potential customers about where I live. I recently registered with PeoplePerHour and they accepted my documentary evidence of residency. Has anyone encountered a similar situation or have any advice? They've told me that if my IP address changes back to France then my location will change back to France but this means logically that my profile will change country each time I go on a foreign holiday, which seems totally insane. Please someone bring me some logic. Thanks.

• Like 2

How to change your location:

Your location is set when you register your account and is determined according to the country from where you register. The same applies to the phone verification process. If you verify your phone from a different location, the location may change after completing the verification process. 

If the location on your account appears to be incorrect, please contact Customer Support.

The above is from the Help Centre.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I've contacted customer service but no dice. I've thought about it and I think probably it's to do with moderator prejudice about Africa. There's no other explanation when there's a mechanism to change location that's illogically flouted for someone in a black country claiming they really live in a white country. I've noticed almost everyone in this forum is white or Asian. I can understand why.

• Like 1