How to Overcome that dreaded 1 ⭐ Review

gina_riley2

Gina, this is a wonderful piece of writing! You have explained everything clearly and to the point.

I have also noticed that when some buyer leaves a negative review, we have an option to reply to them. It is a good practice to reply in such a way so that you can point out what did not work out for you, or if there was any shortcoming from the buyer. 

Thank you for writing this!

PS: I wonder why this topic has such less views in this forum. This should get lots of views.

• Like 44
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, gina_riley2 said:

Good grief, don't apologize if you didn't do anything wrong. 🤦🏻‍♀️

That is one of the worst things you can do. I think, being able to articulate your position clearly and confidently as well as knowing how and when to say no are quite important traits to have in general.

21 hours ago, gina_riley2 said:

Don't feel hopeless, you are your brand;  be proud to stand your ground. Wear that bad review like a badge of honor.

Every poor review can be a learning experience if you take your time to analyze the order from the beginning. Two months ago I received two poor reviews on the same day. It was so gut-wrenching I actually felt physically ill. I took some time to cool down, asked for advice on the forum and drafted a response. My response could be seen as harsh, but it was objective and to the point. After this trainwreck of an experience, I tried to analyze these orders further and understand what exactly was the biggest mistake on my part. I've learned that my gig seemed to encourage unrealistic expectations and I was not subtle enough when offering additional extras. I've changed my gig a lot since then and I tend to decline a lot more orders that I know can be problematic.

• Like 47
  • Up 2

32 minutes ago, mandyzines said:

Would this be after they order, or when they are messaging you but haven't ordered yet?

For me, both! But ideally when they are messaging and haven't ordered yet. It saves time from both sides going on gut feeling that it isn't going to work out.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 2

On 11/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, mandyzines said:

Would this be after they order, or when they are messaging you but haven't ordered yet?

Generally, before the order is placed. Some of the red flags can be identified straight away, and some of them after further communication with a potential client. I've learned that in most cases, it's not worth proceeding with a client, who asks for a free sample. They will either try to avoid placing the order in the first place, cancel the order and get their money back, or they will be very demanding, ask for extra work and leave unsatisfactory reviews if the order manages to reach the feedback stage. I just reply to them (to not effect my inbox response rate) and block them.

As @theratypist has mentioned, sometimes you cannot protect yourself from such clients when they place a direct order. These are more difficult cases, but in general, you want to look out for suspicious behaviour straight away when communicating with a potential client.

• Like 41
  • Thanks 3

• 6 months later...

Thank you for your tips.
Unfortunately, as for now here is no opportunity to reply. The only way for me to stay here is to find an old buyer or a friend to help making the reviews better.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1