Top Rated Seller Tip: Turning down low-budget buyers

smashradio

We all get them from time to time (or all the time, in which case you need to work on your gig some more): low-budget buyers! Errr... 

You want to turn them down, but you don't want to be rude.  Here's how I turn down low-budget buyers. 

In this example, I'm turning down a buyer who needs a voice-over with 1000 words, but you could adapt this to match your niche by simply replacing a couple of things. 

Then, the last part of my script, explains why I charge what I do. This one, you need to figure out for yourself. Why do you charge x amount of dollars for your service? What makes this price fair? That's up to you to explain. 

Hope this can be useful if you're having trouble turning down the low-budget buyers out there. Keep in mind, you should always keep the option for working with them open, but only if the budget can be adjusted. Don't just turn them down by saying "no, I won't do that". Try turning it into a buyer who understands and appreciates your time, effort and work. They might just end up ordering at your asking price!

Anything in Italic font is meant as instructions/examples and is meant to be edited!

----------

Hi there, Name!

In the interests of being completely up front and to avoid wasting even a moment of your time — I am currently only accepting projects with a budget that meets my regular rates.

I've checked out your script, and based on the work it involves, I've hammered out what a budget for this project, given a script length of 1000 words.

(Include any points on your budget here, like extra revision, commercial rights, source file, too, so they know what they are getting for their money!)

That amounts to 120USD total. 

In the interest of being transparent, here's why I charge what I do:

1) I've honed my skills as a professional voice-over actor for more than 11 years now. Those 11 years of experience is being put into each project I work on. That's 11 years of constantly improving, perfecting and investing in my skills, meaning coaching, practice, reading and educating myself. That's a skillset and investment of time that I believe is worth my rate, by itself. Add to that my skills as a professional translator, delivering projects for anything from governments to courts, entertainment outlets to small businesses, and we end up with a lot of accumulated experience and hard work behind every project.

2) To add to this, I've invested thousands of dollars in my professional, custom-built home studio. Microphones, interfaces, editing software – none of it comes cheap.

3) I got bills (don't we all - haha!). My rates are set the way they are because that's what it takes to maintain my lifestyle. I charge what I do because I can – and I don't think that's anything but fair.

If your face has just fallen, your mood has darkened and you’re now furiously looking for other sellers, I completely understand – and all that’s left for me to say is good luck/may the force be with you etc.

On the other hand – if you have the budget to work with me, I would be delighted to set up a custom offer for this project!

All the best,
Leo

--------

How do you turn down/educate/communicate with low-budget buyers? Let's add to this secret sauce with your tips and tricks. This is, after all, just my way of doing it. Your way might be better! :D 

8 hours ago, smashradio said:

To add to this, I've invested thousands of dollars in my professional, custom-built home studio. Microphones, interfaces, editing software – none of it comes cheap.

3) I got bills (don't we all - haha!).

I don’t even go into that. 
I don’t need to explain to them that I have to pay bills.

My service is based on value, and if they can not see the value for money they are paying then those are not my clients and most likely they will be satisfied with lower quality/value from someone else. 

10 hours ago, smashradio said:

How do you turn down/educate/communicate with low-budget buyers?

I just politely inform them that I'm sorry, but I can't give them a discount because it would be unfair and unprofessional to all of my buyers who have paid the full price every time.

That way I also tell them that there definitely are buyers willing to pay my prices, and that they're so happy with my work that they keep coming back.

11 hours ago, mariashtelle1 said:

I don’t even go into that. 
I don’t need to explain to them that I have to pay bills.

My service is based on value, and if they can not see the value for money they are paying then those are not my clients and most likely they will be satisfied with lower quality/value from someone else. 

You'd be surprised how many buyers I've turned from low-balling requests to high-paying clients. Just the other day, a client with a budget of 100USD on a 300 USD project thanked be for taking the time to explain the value, and upped the budget to - you guessed it - 300 USD. Then the dude left a tip at the end. 

Several of my long-term clients started out with initial budgets that would make most people laugh, but after some education and information, ended up paying my asking rate, every time. 

Other times, I've had clients with low budgets who came back for different projects down the line, because they remembered that I took the time. Being arrogant can actually cost you business. 

Do you need to explain it? Of course not. But some buyers actually appreciate it. There are times when I also like to know why something costs what it does, and not just get a "that's the value of it" type of response. Not every buyer can understand the value of something, without a bit of help. 

Maybe I want some leather shoes - but I don't understand why they would cost me a thousand bucks. If the shoemaker (who knows way more about the true value fo good shoes than I do!) explains the stitching, the investment and experience, making sure I feel like this dude really knows his shoes, I'd be more tempted to buy from him. If he just tells me "That's the value of these shoes" I just might skip spending a thousand bucks on his shoes. 

Dude I'm a voice actor too so I feel this. I just am totally transparent with them. I tell them my budget and if we can do it within that, great! Let's go! If not, then I tell them sorry I can't as that's too cheap for me. If they would like more on why, I'll be happy to tell them why. I just don't want to waste either of our time so I just go straight up and to the point with it and go from there

• 2 months later...

I don't even go into all that detail when I tell people no (Not on fiverr, but off the site before this place even existed I used to use a few different sources to sell my art). I'd basically just give it in a shorter version, like "I have 2 decades of experience, I spend x hours actually working on this, and the end result is something directly tailored and original to what the client wants. If they don't like that, I let them know they can find someone to better suit their budget needs and wish them a good day. I am concise and straight forward and I try to keep it as less to read as I find most people don't want to read longer posts - especially if it is just to tell them no xD

Archived