Buyer asked about an order about a week or two ago, we've been talking/planning out how he wants it done and they sent order requirements but hasn't placed the order yet, should I get started yet or not?

agervaisdesign

This has happened a few times already but basically I have a buyer who was asking about one of my animation projects and he needs it done by around the beginning of next month, I told him I could do it and just needed to catch up on my last order which I got delayed on due to other issues (lots of revisions/lack of clarity/indecisiveness on buyer's end, which was also kinda stressful) but I said I was available almost a week ago and just needed more info so I'd have everything I need and he sent it, but still hasn't placed the order. Because of the type of work I do a buyer usually messages me asking about my work and just wants my input before I order, mostly to see if I can do it and feel comfortable with it and to get a better estimate of when I can finish it by, as well as to work out any details about the order so we both have a better idea of how I'll put it together, but I've also had a few who've asked me for examples of my work (despite there being quite a few on each of my gig pages) or who want me to do sketches based off their ideas for any logos or design work I do, and then I send them something and just never hear from them again. I'm not sure if that's what's happening now, but after that's happened a few times I'm kind of hesitant to start on anything before an orders been placed, and I've already asked him a few times about when he orders (first directly then just dropping hints like "when you submit the order can you include this info as well" or "did you want to do a custom order instead or work off what I have on my gig page?" or asking about his budget for this, etc.) with no response to that part, or most of what I say in any message, and only responding to one part of my message or just sending info about the order, so I have no idea what's going on at this point.

It seems he still wants to order from me, but I'm still a bit confused because he hasn't actually submitted the order so I'm not sure if I should even get started just yet and was hoping for some input or to see if anyone else has had something similar happen. Normally I'd just bail on the project if things were going like this but my orders have been a bit slow the past few weeks (and I missed out on a slightly big order because of the delays with the last one I did, it was a repeat buyer so I wanted to be nice but the extra time for several revisions and last minute changes wound up costing me the other bigger order) and this one was a bit bigger than the ones I've been working on lately so I've been a bit excited about it, and on top of that, he said he has deadlines on it as well so the sooner I get started the better, and now I'm torn because I could start now and risk him bailing on the project or just trying to get free work, or I could wait until he submits the order and possibly wind up rushing on it. Thanks for any advice on this!! 

Just for clarity, I know I shouldn't finish the project before they actually submit the order (let alone deliver it), but given the size of the project and the thought of the buyer having deadlines on it as well, I'm just not sure if I should even get started until they submit the order because if they take too long and I wait until then I might have to rush it and that'd likely affect the quality of my work and possibly wind up affecting my reviews/ratings, and I'm still relatively new to fiverr so I don't want that to happen either.

It'll probably be fine either way, but I'm just really confused because it looks like they've had other projects on here and the way Fiverr's set up is pretty simple, especially on the buyer's end, so it's a bit unlikely that he doesn't know he needs to submit the order or that he doesn't know how to submit the order. Thanks again!

Yes, but don't work too hard. Do a sketch, outline, storyboard or what ever the client is looking for. Turn your product into a .pdf file and watermark it. This shows the client you are willing to work, but not willing to give away your work for free. IF, the customer responds then ask for a custom order with customers specified requirements.

The .pdf file will protect your original artwork from being stolen. The watermark will prevent customer from publishing your artwork surreptitiously. If customer doesn't buy then you keep the artwork and can use it for yourself. If the customer buys then you are ahead of the game. No need to go overboard on the preliminary work. Just a sample to show your talent.

Hope this helps

Tim

So will I risk any issues with my account/ratings if it winds up being late on their end and affects their deadline? That's the main thing I'm worried about, or if they try rushing me to finish because of their deadline, then the quality drops and they don't like it or get angry or anything like that.

Normally I wouldn't even consider it, and even if I just got started with planning out the order I still would never send anything before they actually place the order, I'm mostly just wondering if it's a waste of my time to even get started or make a basic outline for the work before they actually order? Like I'm just not sure if it'd save me time for when they actually submit it (if they ever do) or if it'd just be a waste of time because the order isn't certain yet. Still wouldn't send them anything BEFORE they order so even if I get started they still won't see any of it, so I'll probably just not start on any of it til then! 

1 minute ago, timothykoen said:

Yes, but don't work too hard. Do a sketch, outline, storyboard or what ever the client is looking for. Turn your product into a .pdf file and watermark it. This shows the client you are willing to work, but not willing to give away your work for free. IF, the customer responds then ask for a custom order with customers specified requirements.

The .pdf file will protect your original artwork from being stolen. The watermark will prevent customer from publishing your artwork surreptitiously. If customer doesn't buy then you keep the artwork and can use it for yourself. If the customer buys then you are ahead of the game. No need to go overboard on the preliminary work. Just a sample to show your talent.

Hope this helps

Tim

I think I'll do that!! I figured it'll save me time if they do actually order it, but not be a huge waste if it falls through since I wouldn't let myself work too hard on it just yet, so I think this seems like the best way to go. Thanks!

Archived