Should I be concerned about seller's grammar?

paullee126

Question

Hi. I'm completely new to fiverr and wanted to ask if I should be concerned about sellers who post their services with what appears to me strange vocabulary/grammar/syntax?

For example:

- "Dear Great Buyer" 

- pr0mote

- lower case i for personal pronoun

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm looking for someone to promote my book on social media. And so I do care how they project their message.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

4 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, paullee126 said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm looking for someone to promote my book on social media.

I would say it’s not a big problem if seller is working in the area where English language is not used in the service like design category for example, there are a lot of people from different parts of the world and not everyones language can be perfect. 

But if it’s something with writing, proofreading or promoting a book like in your case then of course it’s better to stay away from sellers that don’t come professional or make mistakes in something that they claim to be a pro. 

Competency.

I like to think that grammar is the 'dressing for the part' for an online interview. In-person, one would never wear ripped jeans and a graphic t-shirt to a job interview at any 'reputable' business. If someone cannot take time to skim what they've typed before they hit send/enter (or, worse, 'text' speak is the only way they know how to type), then how can I expect them to take the same care and consideration needed for a job? Yes, typing shortcuts are handy on a phone, but maybe they should 'change cloths' (switch to a computer) b4 u respond lol bbq : ) : ) : ) !!1!1!! *ahem* Fiverr is supposedly a platform for professionals, but there is almost NO barrier to entry, so Sturgeons Law applies. 

You might be hiring for a one-off job, at minimum, or you might be hiring for something that could put your livelihood at stake. Let the interviews speak. If something feels off, trust your gut. Like in an interview, give them the opportunity to ask questions. Those can be pretty telling too, as the ones who say 'i understand your job completely' are the ones who most often don't. A professional in their area of expertise might ask specialized questions, like 'Have you already done any marketing, and where?' so as to check reactions already made to your work, and 'Do you have a Customer Persona?' that will better help them do their job to reach your ideal target market, to promote where there'll be the biggest impact.

Also, THANK YOU for messaging your potential sellers first. Some might have pristine gigs, but can't hold a conversation in messaging.

On 10/18/2021 at 8:07 AM, paullee126 said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm looking for someone to promote my book on social media.

You're not being a jerk at all. When communicating with you, they're promoting their service and themselves, and if that's how they promote themselves, you can imagine how they're going to promote your book.

Archived