Seller is asking me to pay crypto outside of Fiverr

ace_salvador

Question

I was searching for a crypto bot developer and this one seller is asking me to pay majority of the payment outside of Fiverr through crypto. He explained that it is required for the tools for his "programming studio", he needs to pay for it and Fiverr cannot immediately give him the money that he requires to start the project.

Has anyone ever experienced this? I thought I could trust him because he has two 5 star ratings. Is this a scam?

• Like 26

10 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, ace_salvador said:

he needs to pay for it and Fiverr cannot immediately give him the money that he requires to start the project.

It is true that Fiverr doesn't release money until the order is complete, that protects you the buyer from a scam because you have the opportunity to reject the delivery or get a refund if the work delivered is not as agreed. It may also be true that he needs to pay for whatever tools, but as the seller he should have back up money to do this, he should play by the rules he agreed upon signing here that money only gets released to him when the order is complete.

6 minutes ago, ace_salvador said:

Has anyone ever experienced this?

There have been stories in the forum of buyers who have been scammed through this method. Once you "mark an order as complete" and the funds go to the seller. You as a buyer may not be able to get a refund anymore because you approved on the said delivery amount. So if I were in your place, I would do not this either.

7 minutes ago, ace_salvador said:

I thought I could trust him because he has two 5 star ratings.

Not to degrade the seller, but two 5 star ratings can easily be manipulated or paid reviews. 100 5 Star reviews on the other hand would give you a better idea that one is trusted, because faking 100 5 star ratings would at least cost $500 + service fees to do. But yes two 5 star ratings is better than none, I would take it with a grain of salt though, and best to assess the content of said rating and the details those previous buyers left out.

10 minutes ago, ace_salvador said:

Is this a scam?

You can be scammed from the very idea you're paying outside the platform.

12 minutes ago, ace_salvador said:

payment outside of Fiverr through crypto.

Never pay for anything outside of Fiverr, Fiverr will not be able to help you if ever you do get scammed. Only pay through the official Fiverr payment system.

Never pay ahead for work that is not completed, only accept deliveries that has met the requirements you've agreed with the seller.

If you have any clarifications, best to get official answers from Customer Support --> https://www.fiverr.com/support_tickets/new

• Like 32

32 minutes ago, usetopie said:

Even with good ratings, it's better to stick to the platform's payment system for security.

Wanna add that I totally understand your concern. Even with good ratings, it's better to stick to the platform's payment system for security. I once had a similar situation, and Fiverr's support team was super helpful in resolving it. Better safe than sorry! And if you're new to crypto, check out this presale crypto. It helps me a lot to know where to invest.

Edited by usetopie
  • Like 3

In no way shape or form can you accept payments outside Fiverr, it's about your protection and their share of the money.. Or this platform would die.  That's just basic knowledge. Maybe you can request to Fiverr that they can look at implementing this so people can pay with crypto as it's another form of modern payment. 

• Like 3