Depending only on fiverr

ofsentdesign

I think you are asking if it is good to work on Fiverr instead of working for someone else. I would say a big fat NO!

I am a TRS and make a decent amount working on Fiverr, however if I did not have a pension I would not be making a living here.

Plus, @ofsentdesign you have been here since July. Have you made enough each month to pay your bills? Since you have no reviews it appears you have not. Why not work for someone else and do Fiverr in your off hours?

I think it all depends on what's right for you, and where you're at in your Freelancing journey.

Quitting or not opting for full time employment means that you don't get any pension contributions unless you pay in yourself, you get no paid holidays, no healthcare benefits, and most importantly, no guaranteed income and only earn as much as you have orders coming in.

If you had a slow few months, do you have enough cash to cover your bills and expenses for the foreseeable future? Do you offer a service that is in demand and you are confident will get repeat orders consistently? It's also challenging at times on your mental health essentially running a business yourself, it can become overwhelming if you're not used to it.

But then again, as a Freelancer you get to pick and choose when you work, how much you want to work, what kind of work you do, plus a number of other really flexible benefits that you just can't have being employed by someone else. For me, working 9-5 in an office has never suited me and drives me nuts. I can work anywhere in the world with just my laptop and an internet connection and I'm grateful that I'm able to make a comfortable living with the services I offer, working for myself.

Also consider using other platforms, as previously mentioned putting all of your eggs in one basket is dangerous as everyone has slow periods on Fiverr. I have my own website where my repeat clients place their orders and I generate new clients through Google search, Social Media Marketing, plus a number of other avenues.

If you're going to give it a go, really research your stuff and do it properly. If you jump in half heartedly and just hope for the best it likely won't work out. You will get as much out of it as the time and effort you put in, also be prepared to invest financially, be prepared for a steep learning curve, and be prepared for some super frustrating experiences.  Some people try it, and it's just not for them. Others thrive of it and wouldn't ever go back to employment, and are extremely successful. 

30 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I think you are asking if it is good to work on Fiverr instead of working for someone else. I would say a big fat NO!

Hard disagree, but I suppose that will depend on personal factors. Namely where you're from. I'm in Portugal, and for me it would actually be detrimental to look for work locally - the pay I can get per hour on Fiverr (or other freelance work) is so much better than what I could make in basically any job here, that it would be unwise to waste time on it. That time is better spent expanding on Fiverr and other freelance work.

If you can get a 6 figure job, because you live in LA or NY or something, then sure, do that. For 99% of people? Fiverr (and independent freelance, of course) is definitely a viable alternative. I think many Americans are out of touch with what the average world reality is. For many many many people (more than 50% of the world for sure), $1000 a month is way more than what they would be able to make on a traditional local job. And btw, this doesn't even mean that those people are "poor" - the cost of living is just way lower, they can get the same quality of life for a fraction of the cost. The US are incredibly overinflated economically. 

• 3 months later...

I guess I'll take the time to actually reply;

1. Figure out what the design is gonna be like.
What's is going to be used for, is there a theme, stuff like that.

2. Brainstorm like crazy and sketch out all the possible ideas. 
3. Narrow down the ideas down to 10 or so options, the brainstorm some more.
If you are designing for a client, show the ideas you've come up with, and get their feedback. Brainstorm some more.

4. Narrow it down to the final image. Have several different options of the final image, and deliver. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived