A real secret for serious sellers. RE: Rank your gig

newsmike

To all the folks who worry about "ranking" their gig, here's a free bit of knowledge I got from my Success Manger. The vast, really vast majority of buyers do not navigate to a category, then start drilling down to a sub category, then start scrolling through pages of gigs. Most buyers do exactly what you do when you go to Amazon to buy fuzzy slippers. You enter "fuzzy slippers" in the search bar, and the algorithm takes you to a page of results ranked by sales success and positive reviews. So you see the best they have to offer, which are the most likely to result in a sale.  

That's is precisely the way Fiverr works. This is why you see really successful sellers get rotated on and off the first page, and people with 2 sales on the same first page. They just rotate to help get exposure.  My sales are the same whether I am on page 1 or 20, because the algorithm presents my gig where it feel that there is the best chance of making a sale. That's it. That's the secret of the universe. So don't worry about where you rank, because most buyers will search, and when they do, they are presented with the gigs that are the most profitable for Fiverr. That means you should work on making your gigs and the services you offer perfect, and getting really happy buyers who leave you positive reviews. 

So the short answer, is don't worry about "ranking" your gig, that is transient, and the real success comes from making sales and getting good reviews. No real magic. 

Less worry about "ranking" and more worry about being the best damned (whatever it is you do) on Fiverr.  Good luck.

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 232
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 20
  • Thanks 37

They just don't understand that there is no "gig rank". I don't even know where this talk about "gig rank" started, as if there is some leaderboard for gigs that you can climb. It doesn't exist. So it makes no sense to even talk about "ranking a gig". Ranking a gig in what ladder, exactly?

They don't understand the algorithm. They need to take the red pill - It's not the spoon that bends, it is only you. 

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 138
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 8

On 10/1/2021 at 9:17 PM, visualstudios said:

They just don't understand that there is no "gig rank".

Or that it is fluid and changes with each new search. I will see a different page of results when I search for a service than other users will. Some sellers think because they found their gig on page one that they should find it there every time or it has lost its 'rank.' No, it has not lost anything, It is just put back in the pile to be shuffled again. Plus, Fiverr tells us in TOS that low quality gigs can be removed from the search. 

• Like 108
  • Haha 2
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 5

On 10/2/2021 at 5:49 AM, visualstudios said:

Can you provide a link? I don't see any of that.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011028318-Managing-your-Gigs

If other sellers are ranked higher, they may be consistently getting 5-star feedback, delivering on time, communicating quicker, and so on.

How can I have my Gig ranked higher?

Promoting your gigs on social media, websites, or blogs is a great way to bring more traffic to your gig. The more traffic, the more exposure you will receive in our marketplace. Completing your orders on time and providing exceptional service can also affect your ranking. As long as you are doing well in these areas, your ranking will improve.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360011094958-SEO-tricks-for-gig-titles

Using a consistent keyword in your Gig title, description and tags will help improve your search ranking on Fiverr

Those are couple. There are more.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 96
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

Big oof. They really should reword that. Rank is just a poor word choice. They clearly mean your position in the search results can and does change according to the algorithm and your account stats, but that's dynamic and involves gig rotation. Using the work "rank" is misleading, it implies you can achieve a certain fixed position, and retain it for as long as you can keep your stats and your competition not improve theirs. That's not the case. There's a big element of randomness to it - at least from a seller's point of view, since the search algorithm ranking criteria is private.

People worrying about "gig rank" leads to what you see here everyday. They got rotated in, got a bunch of orders and good reviews, think they "ranked" their gig and then complain they are getting no impressions. They don't understand that happens to literally everyone periodically, because there's no fixed "gig rank". There's no steps you can take to ensure you're on the first page.

"First place in Gig rank" is not equal to "most reviews with best average score", or "Best private feedback" or "Most $ made in 30 days" or "most orders delivered in 6 months". Those would be metrics that make sense if you'e Fiverr trying to show clients the "best gigs". But they are not what decides the "rank".

"First place in Gig rank" is equal to... nothing in specific, it's impossible to tell. There are certain gigs appearing first in the "rank" that I guarantee are not even in top 10% of any of those metrics. So it's really pointless to talk about "ranking your gig".

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 85
  • Up 6

Though I don't think there's a fixed page rank for pages in Google either. They will update their ranks for pages at times and what one person sees isn't necessarily what another person will see.

On Fiverr I don't think using the term "rank" is necessarily misleading (though they should be clearer about it probably - they do say "Gig positions are not permanent and can rotate daily. "). It's just your position at a particular time for a particular user who is viewing those results. And while they may rotate or add some randomness or other things based on who is searching (and maybe their past searches/purchases) there are still things that do affect rank (eg. cancellations/late deliveries making your gig go down in position probably for any buyer who searches).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 89
  • Up 2

Yes, there are stats that affect the search results - but those are stats that any seller is already trying to keep as high as possible anyway. Fiverr already rewards/punishes based on those metrics for deciding seller levels.

What I mean is that there's no point to keep talking about "gig rank" when there's no specific actions you can or should take on that and there's a large randomness factor to it anyway. As a seller, there's nothing to do or worry about. Just keep your stats at 100%, but that's not a very useful tip.

Edited by visualstudios
  • Like 92
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

• 9 months later...
4 minutes ago, shopifyreload said:

What I believe is that the number of completed orders that you have is what rank your gig in search result or am I wrong?

You are wrong, otherwise fiverr would’ve never put new sellers on first pages. 
What ranks your gig is yours and your gig’s performance, how interested clients are, how they interact with your gig in search etc 

• Like 77
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, shopifyreload said:

Fiverr putting new seller on the first page is just temporary but what can actually makes you stay is the service you render to your buyers.

I just answered it in my previous reply 👇

13 minutes ago, mariashtelle1 said:

yours and your gig’s performance, how interested clients are, how they interact with your gig in search etc 

If you are constantly outperforming your competitors then fiverr will be showing you on top of them. 

• Like 78
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 3

this is true but only partially 🙂 Fiverr buy paid ads + also have big traffic from search engines like google etc. Using proper tools, having knowlege - we can know in what categories fiverr have traffic and where not. 🙂 This probably not many success manager know... 🙂

• Like 85
  • Up 3

• 3 months later...

For getting more order It is more important to Rank our Gig but one thing what I focus that some peoples Didn’t rank on their selected category but they still getting order. 

Now maybe you will say that sharing Fiverr gig on different market places. 

But I search their recent activities on google to see where are they doing marketing. and I see some of them doing marketing on some social site but it’s a story of long time ago.  And some of them have no Digital marketing status . 

So my question is how they getting regular order without ranking and without doing social marketing ??

Edited by haven_art45
  • Like 64
  • Up 5

On 10/13/2022 at 4:21 PM, haven_art45 said:

So my question is how they getting regular order without ranking and without doing social marketing ??

Repeat buyers. You only need a handful of happy clients, who buy from you consistently, to do well on this platform.

If you have repeat buyers, it doesn't matter what your position is in search and you don't need to do any of your own social media marketing. My repeat buyers not only come back to me frequently to order, they bring me referrals, who often become repeat buyers themselves.

My repeat buyers advertise by word-of-mouth (i.e., sharing my gig links with those they know). This is all free and unsolicited advertising. They do it because they want to. All I have to do is keep them happy with my services.

Working exclusively with repeat buyers hurts my impressions (because I'm turning away organic traffic), so I do try to find a healthy balance between repeat buyers and buyers that I get through other avenues, such as organic search, Brief & Match, Promoted Gigs, and coupons. 

• Like 71
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

As per my 3 years of experience it's all about conversion rate, and private feedback of buyers (Private feedback: When you accept order as buyer you have a option to give review to seller that is politically visible and we see on gigs, but after 2-3 days you get notification to give feedback in private to the seller that is not visible on public/gig but fiverr use it to adjust position of your gig on search )

Just what i think, but not a fact : )

• Like 61
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am level 2 seller, and i can tell you, based on my experience, this is really true. Just write keywords which you think will fit your gig in best way possible, also dont forget to use those keywords while writing your gig description and i am sure you will get better results 🙂

• Like 47