Finding a REAL EXPERT among new sellers

gina_riley2

Is there a way to get this pinned? Three and five captures some pain points that are brought up a lot in discussions. Five tops the list as some buyers request sample work using the information from their soon-to-be order, but as soon as a seller suggests paying for said sample the buyer disappears.

• Like 42
  • Sad 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gina, thanks for your valuable tips. There is one that sticks out with me. "My definition of an expert is someone who has spent at least 1000 hours on a subject outside of school or training." You are being way too generous. Did you mean, at least 10,000 hours? Only 1000 hours breaks down to about 1/2 year of on the job experience in a 40 hour work week. And by "school or training' did you mean a college degree? Here's my deinition of an expert.

At least one 4 year college degree and 5 years on the job experience. Or a 2 year college degree and 10 years on the job experience. Or 25 years on the job experience without a college degree. This definition is a standard in most engineering professions. Even these criteria are fairly forgiving. 

You said, "So many newbies tout they are an "EXPERT" without any means to verify their abilities." On this I'll accept your expert opinion even though I cannot verify you are an expert. Since I wish you to be an expert, then to me, you are. 

It has been recommended that a profile contain one's education, accomplishments and any certifications. This is what defines someone as a real expert, However, you are right, claiming to be an 'expert' is bad form, IMO. It is an indication that one is NOT an expert and is probably expressing wishful thinking. In my experience real 'experts' are awarded that distinction by other people and don't make the claim themselves. Real 'experts' won't say "I'm an expert" unless asked the question, "are you an expert?" It they are then you can't shut them up. Which is a good indication someone actually is an expert.

Wishful thinkers will say "I'm an expert" knowing that most people won't actually check to verify. So, why not state you are an expert even if you are not really. I'm sure there are way more people wishing someone to be an expert, than those that will actually verify the claim. So, why not make the claim? Odds are you will be believed without being verified.

Tim

• Like 41
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

All peoples are start their journey from newbie .Not only here but also every where .So a new seller is now at this point after a few days that person will give you same service with very high cost price.So a new sellers are all not dull but have lack of experience. Give chance a new seller, he will give you his best.

• Like 36
  • Congrats! 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, gina_riley2 said:

've gotten some really great work from newbies at rock bottom prices. Many of them are now senior sellers and have raised their prices to 10x or even 50x higher than when I worked with them. So don't dismiss a newbie too quickly!! 

Hello Gina,

Of course, you made my early start on Fiverr quite smooth. You were always looking for new sellers to empower, and I am one of those newbies. At the time when it was a bit difficult to hire new sellers, you gave some of us reasons to stay in business. Though I lost the account that I was using that time to depession following the demise of my beloved father in 2019, I must confess that you helped me gain experiences here on Fiverr. You were the first to give me a job to write a book blurb which was supposed to be for 5$, but I also got a tip of an extra 5$. May be it's time to return the gratitude. Thank you so much, and do have a great year.

• Like 28

• 3 weeks later...

Great post. 

Although I'm now close to level two seller but I still consider myself to be a new seller on Fiverr! 

I absolutely offer no revision at any of my gigs; this may sound a bit arrogant but this is what I do. 

Also, I dunno if my gigs and/or profile are beautifully crafted; however,  my works are being appreciated by my clients and quite a few of them are now my regular ones. 

(I'm a writer).

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 8:37 PM, iftequarossi said:

I am a new seller. And got 5 star from a client. Buy from someone who is ready to satisfy you with revisions.

A couple of revisions is normal in certain circumstances, especially when it comes to design, but unlimited revisions? Your technical and communication skill are questionable if you need endless revision to get the work done right. Also, such claim puts you in vulnerable position because some buyers might take advantage of you and you can't say no. Being clear about your scope of service is important to avoid exploitation.

• Like 21

• 1 month later...

These are great points. Thank you for advocating for people who show up on the 5th page of the search, but can provide quality work. I know that it is scary to invest your money with a new seller, so I always recommend checking out their website and talking to them just to get the feeling of their knowledge and work ethic. This should usually weed out the "fake experts". 

• Like 15

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2021 at 7:40 PM, gina_riley2 said:

I have been fortunate enough to have been a buyer on 5r since before the "transaction/admin fees" were instituted. Yes, that is correct, there was a time when 5r did not charge buyers a fee to buy here. 

This... so accurate. Do you also remember when an order 'that gets canceled for late delivery' used to be automatic 1star Review?

Thanks for this well detailed post. I know I'm guilty of some of these points but will definitely do better! 

• Like 4