REMINDER - NO HATE SPEECH

mjensen415

This is a reminder that any targeted hate speech against a person, or group of people, defined on the basis of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender, marital status, religion, age, disability, or other similar ground is not allowed on the Fiverr platform, which includes the forum.

If you violate these rules, you will be suspended for 1 week, and a second violation will result in your removal from the forum permanently. 

Please review the Forum Rules and the Fiverr Community Standards if you have any questions about what type of content is acceptable on the forum.

• Like 470
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 5
  • Up 29
  • Thanks 51

4 minutes ago, mjensen415 said:

This is a reminder that any targeted hate speech against a person, or group of people, defined based on race, ethnicity, s****l orientation, gender, marital status, religion, age, disability, or other similar ground is not allowed on the Fiverr platform, which includes the forum.

If you violate these rules, you will be suspended for 1 week, and a second violation will result in your removal from the forum permanently. 

Please review the Forum Rules and the Fiverr Community Standards if you have any questions about what type of content is acceptable on the forum.

Thanks for reminding me. But These days, forums are full of misleading, false, and Spamming information comments, and some posts. The new freelancers are being confusing. So I am drawing your attention to this. Should be taking a hard step. Thank you 

• Like 275
  • Confused 2
  • Up 19
  • Thanks 13

I feel like the definition for "hate speech" is kinda-sorta getting blurry and unclear.
Maybe it's just me, but when I point out certain things and sound harsh/strict, it seems like that is seen as hate speech...
even though what I am doing is, again, pointing out facts. I've seen some posts being deleted, and while I do understand why some of them were deleted,
I believe there were a good number of them that made me go "What in the heck was the problem with that post?"

I guess we'll continue seeing spams no matter what, but the amount is quite insane. 

• Like 253
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 19
  • Thanks 12

5 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I've seen some posts being deleted, and while I do understand why some of them were deleted,

I have not noticed posts that I report being deleted? But then most of mine have been for those who double post the same message in a thread or who post info copied from other websites in Tips for Sellers.

5 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I guess we'll continue seeing spams no matter what, but the amount is quite insane. 

I agree. I was looking forward to this new Fiverr Forum and I find it disappointing and difficult to maneuver because of the over abundance of spam posts. Why can't users take advantage of the emoji buttons and stop with 999 thanks, congratulations, and the like! 😩

18 hours ago, mdminhaz05 said:

Thanks for reminding me. But These days, forums are full of misleading, false, and Spamming information comments, and some posts. T

Yes, I agree.

18 hours ago, mdminhaz05 said:

Should be taking a hard step.

I take it this means the spammers should be dealt with more harshly. I soooo agree. It is only a matter of time before the spam-bots infiltrate this thread.

Edited by vickiespencer
  • Like 220
  • Congrats! 3
  • Up 11
  • Thanks 9

On 9/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, mjensen415 said:

I suggest we also focus on groups of people openly discussing how to rip off Fiverr buyers with fake qualifications in their gigs, offering each other tips as to how to deceptively appear online 24.7. We seem to be concerned with how that damages the forum, but the real damage is being done on the main site, where many of us are trying to run legitimate businesses.  

• Like 184
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 23

Also I don't think there's specifically a rule for this, but the Fiverr Experience forum is completely overrun with people creating posts to celebrate their 57th order, their third 5 dollar tip, etc, followed by thirty people saying congratulations instead of using the emoji, running up all of their message totals and reputation scores.

Only like 10% of the entire forum is readable or useful information at this point.  

• Like 194
  • Sad 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 17
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, surajkartha said:

Any examples you wish to share?

There were posts that were deleted after I pointed out that the OP shouldn't be offering writing gig due to his lack of English abilities, we went back and forth and it was going nowhere, that post was deleted. Stuff like that has happened quite often I believe. 

17 hours ago, vickiespencer said:

take it this means the spammers should be dealt with more harshly. I soooo agree.

I agree to that too, but I think the sad thing is that spammers are not aware that they are spamming??😅

• Like 160
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, zeus777 said:

OP shouldn't be offering writing gig due to his lack of English abilities

Dang.. that's feedback, and I don't remember you ever going ballistics on anyone Zeus-san.. dang.. don't know what to say... but now I understand what you meant by:

On 10/1/2021 at 2:20 PM, zeus777 said:

I believe there were a good number of them that made me go "What in the heck was the problem with that post?"

Hope the issues raised are addressed.. Fingers crossed.. 🤞

• Like 162
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

Well, some will still overlook this and pretend this post never existed. Why am I saying this? Personal experience... 'Cause a few people will continue trash-talking about ethnicity and religion, maybe not here, but on the Fiverr inbox section. I hope it stops for real.

• Like 141
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, zeus777 said:

I guess sadly some get offended easily than others and cannot tell the difference between  badmouthing/bullying and feedback/constructive criticism. 😅

Ya, can't help it.. some probably prefer their feedback in private.. at the same time, there's no mechanism to provide a feedback in private.. and messaging them would be weird 😅 

• Like 133
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 2

On 10/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, zeus777 said:

There were posts that were deleted after I pointed out that the OP shouldn't be offering writing gig due to his lack of English abilities, we went back and forth and it was going nowhere, that post was deleted. Stuff like that has happened quite often I believe. 

Perhaps that's seen as discrimination against non-native speakers. 🤣

• Like 128
  • Haha 12
  • Sad 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 4

Going after hate speech if fine, and all. I fully support it. But this forum has way bigger issues than "hate speech" (which can be defined by anyone as anything they disagree with, these days). There's topics full of stupid advice, spam, meaningless copy/paste answers, sellers openly discussing scamming the platform or buyers, and a team of moderators who aren't even deleting posts that obviously are in violation of the rules. 

I think I can count on one hand the number of true "hate speech" posts I've read since I started hanging out here. On the other hand, there's not enough fingers on all the humans of this planet to count the number of spam posts! 

So yeah. I can see the importance of stopping "hate speech". But like I said - the forum has bigger issues. 

• Like 163
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 20
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

I think I can count on one hand the number of true "hate speech" posts I've read since I started hanging out here. On the other hand, there's not enough fingers on all the humans of this planet to count the number of spam posts! 

OK, I'm risking a block here, but this is my theory Mr. Smash.  I agree, I can't remember seeing hate speech here ever, ever, ever. But as you stated, anything counts as hate speech nowadays, so I think that because we have complained about a bunch of scammy and spammy practices, all coming from a particular geographical region, that is being pushed as hate speech to m. o.ds. Otherwise why has the narrative suddenly shifted from "we're gonna clean this place up" ...to "stop the hate speech?"

I'll see y'all in a week. Don't forget me.    M.F.G.A. - Make Forum Great Again!

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 143
  • Up 11
  • Thanks 5

On 10/1/2021 at 11:50 AM, zeus777 said:

feel like the definition for "hate speech" is kinda-sorta getting blurry and unclear.

That's the first thing that crossed my mind while I was reading this post. I feel like a good definition of the term "hate speech" would be helpful if we are to have such harsh penalties for breaking those rules. I do not condone hate speech, but I'm a big fan of dark humor, satire, critique and parody, which some people would definitely associate with hate speech when it's convenient.

To me, this post feels less like a reminder and more like a threat when we do not draw clear boundaries around those rules. Freedom of speech is not a toy that should be played with, if we are going to restrict it in any way, I think the terms of the rules should be crystal clear on what they mean and what they imply.

Otherwise, one might get convicted for not calling Jane a five star hotel, as she identifies herself as such and demands one does too. There has already been similarly absurd cases like this in some parts of the world, and people did go to jail.

• Like 130
  • Congrats! 5
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 4

6 hours ago, newsmike said:

I think that because we have complained about a bunch of scammy and spammy practices, all coming from a particular geographical region, that is being pushed as hate speech

Not just a region, but also a specific country that was mentioned by name plenty of times. And the freelancers from the said country were mentioned in a negative context, which, technically, is forbidden by the rules...

Plus there was making fun of (I'm going to be diplomatic here, just in case, but you all know what I mean) not so good English of some users, and that can be easily reported as discrimination.

Now, consider just how many new (or not so new) freelancers from the said country there are on the forum, and that's a pretty big number of people who have potentially cried racism and discrimination and hate speech to the ms. And probably misspelled all those words (or perhaps those are the words they know how to spell?), but I better stop here.

• Like 131
  • Congrats! 2
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, catwriter said:

Plus there was making fun of (I'm going to be diplomatic here, just in case, but you all know what I mean) not so good English of some users, and that can be easily reported as discrimination.

I clearly remember a post where I questioned a guy who was offering writing gigs who clearly lacked English skills, even though he claimed to be an English teacher. There was a LOT of going back that went on, and that post eventually got deleted. BTW, he happened to be from the region in question. It didn't really matter where he was from, it was him offering a gig when he sadly was not qualified even thought it seemed like he really believed he was capable of it.
I can see why he felt insulted, but there was no hate there, at least that was not my intention.
In another post I posted a screen shot of a strange spam message I got, and yes, the English was quite bad but it wasn't the English, it was the contents of the message. Was I making fun of that person who sent me the message? You betcha,  because it was so ridiculous. That post has not been deleted though...

• Like 123
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

My view is that the reminder is a preemptive strike against members who may, however unwittingly, inadvertently overstep the mark. Personally, as far as I can see from my limited time on the forum, no one has done that. In fact, it would seem that in the main, most forum contributors are pretty sensitive to these issues and have shown restraint, especially given the barrage of rubbish that exasperates us all on a daily basis. 
However, there is no doubt though that the spam on this forum is being propagated on an industrial scale, from a certain location - quite what the powers that be want to do about that - or not, remains to be seen.   

• Like 124
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, catwriter said:

@zeus777, when I mentioned making fun, I didn't mean you. 🙂

Oh please, no worries, I didn't think so. Even if you did, I won't mind because I can clearly see how some people would see it as "making fun," but again
I kinda-sorta assumed you weren't talking about me 😉
Besides, after all l I was making fun of that guy who sent me that strange spam message!

• Like 121
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 1:00 AM, gajuseidi said:

Otherwise, one might get convicted for not calling Jane a five star hotel, as she identifies herself as such and demands one does too. There has already been similarly absurd cases like this in some parts of the world, and people did go to jail.

Taken to its logical end, it means "no truth allowed."  Which is how you end up here.....

article-5ff339d90771d.jpg

• Like 115
  • Congrats! 4
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 1